The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Lockouts/strikes in these leagues screw us fans and are a big middle finger to us more than anyone else.

If the league wants to impose another lockout, three strikes.. you're out.. screw both parties and goodbye NHL. I'll stick to watching international competitions and local hockey. Not gonna watch a league that shats all over it's fans like this.

Hoping no lockout but I don't really care either way, it's not my decision in the end as to what they do.. I can easily find something else to replace the time though.

No smoking crack here. The players will not go on strike. And the players will decide if the owners call a lock-out. And the fact that they have not even submitted a counter offer yet tells you what? Yes, that the players want a lock-out. They might be overestimating their power or not, time will tell, but they act like they have the hammer now.

If what I heard was right, players are at 57% right now. Owners/league wants to bring it down to 43%. Every other league is currently 50/50, but the players won't even wanna drop the 7% to get to 50/50, let alone 43%.

Given the state of some of the franchises, that 7-14% would help the league a lot, and bring more life to some of the dying places. Either way, the way it stands, this time anyway the players are being greedy sounding.

I am Canadian and I LOVE hockey, but if all these babies(on both sides of the fight) lockout again, I'll probably never watch the NHL again. Would rekindle my interest in junior hockey again.

If the KHL and SEL are smart and the NHL locksout, they should try to televise some games over here, create some healthy competition.

I must be the only one who's seeing the Owner's side of things.

Shea Weber, Parise getting 26M in 2 years, crappy players getting superstar money.

Look at our team, we look dwarfed comparing to other team's payment structures.

Sedin's make 6.1 each!!! They are top 5 in the league, Parise is getting paid 14+ this year!!

I don't know if 46% is right, but 50% sounds about right.

My goodness the ignorance on this board is staggering - although this should be of absolutely no surprise unfortunately.

First of all, Bettman is simply a puppet figure for the owners. He doesn't make a negotiating move or a public statement unless he has a mandate from the majority of the owners. People out there blaming Bettman for ruining this or destroying that should realize that all along it has been the owners telling Bettman what to do. Any hate for Bettman is completely misdirected and should be sent towards the owners - Bettman is nothing and doesn't even schedule a meeting with the NHLPA without the consent of the owners.

Second, greed is a two-sided evil in this case. Neither the owners nor the NHLPA are innocent in the greed department. To blame either side and let the other off the hook is to be completely ignorant of the process or the issues. This is a negotiations. Anyone thinking that one side will simply give their final offer right off the bat is truly naive and has no business commenting on the proceedings, they'll just sound foolish.

Last, if the NHL season does get postponed, cancelled or delayed, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. There is so much hockey out there to follow at various levels I don't have the time to get into it to the point I would like to - this would give me the opportunity to appreciate what makes the NHL even exist - GRASSROOTS Canadian hockey!

I understand what you mean about the owner's POV, but you also have to think about this as well. The owners are the ones who approve and pay out these huge contracts and have their GM's offer them and everything. Owners should've learned from the whole NYI/Rick DiPietro huge contract fiasco, but instead, they did the total opposite. Owners should have a right to step in and intervene when a GM offers a player, on the team or not, an insanely large contract of money.

My goodness the ignorance on this board is staggering - although this should be of absolutely no surprise unfortunately.

First of all, Bettman is simply a puppet figure for the owners. He doesn't make a negotiating move or a public statement unless he has a mandate from the majority of the owners. People out there blaming Bettman for ruining this or destroying that should realize that all along it has been the owners telling Bettman what to do. Any hate for Bettman is completely misdirected and should be sent towards the owners - Bettman is nothing and doesn't even schedule a meeting with the NHLPA without the consent of the owners.

Second, greed is a two-sided evil in this case. Neither the owners nor the NHLPA are innocent in the greed department. To blame either side and let the other off the hook is to be completely ignorant of the process or the issues. This is a negotiations. Anyone thinking that one side will simply give their final offer right off the bat is truly naive and has no business commenting on the proceedings, they'll just sound foolish.

Last, if the NHL season does get postponed, cancelled or delayed, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. There is so much hockey out there to follow at various levels I don't have the time to get into it to the point I would like to - this would give me the opportunity to appreciate what makes the NHL even exist - GRASSROOTS Canadian hockey!

Well if there's one positive about this entire thing is that there is a proposal - counter proposal going on. This means the sides are talking and can hopefully find a medium. If player revenue does decline we will also see a decrease in the salary cap. I'm happy that Gillis saved an extra 3 mil in cap space but it might not be enough.

I think a lot of the hatred for Bettman stems from the fact that he's just not likable, and is not a hockey guy.

he has no roots in hockey, so he comes off as not caring or being personally invested in the actual game of hockey. He comes off as a shrewd, calculating rat.

While it's true that he was hired by the owners, do no for one second think Bettman is powerless. That would be naive to think so.

I wouldn't worry too much about this statement, it's posturing in hopes to speed up the process. My guess is that eventually the revenue sharing will be 50/50, and the show will go on. The league might not start on time, but we won't go an entire season without NHL hockey, I wouldn't worry.

I do, however, find it hilarious that the owners are crying over salary costs when they went and dished out a bunch of ridiculous contracts to Parise, Suter and Weber just this past summer. The hypocrisy is astounding.

so this would be the 3rd lock-out in his time and he will probably still keep his job. Expanding the NHL was the only good thing that I'm aware of that he's done. Lets just hope the NHL agree's with the counter proposal...I doubt it though :S

Maybe it is time for the fans to lock out the NHL and show these greedy S.O.B's owners, players and Herr Bettman, where the money really comes from and who they all work for. There is plenty of high quality hockey out there if you are willing to look for it, there is a four game Canada/Russia junior series that started last night, sportsnet showed CHL every Friday last year, anyone with a computer can livestream CHL and AHL if you don't have them in your city. NCAA and Canadian University hockey, even walk to a local rink and watch the kids play, might bring back some fond memories, maybe too many of us have become spoiled with the amount of NHL on TV at the moment and we have forgotten our love of the GAME itself.

Archived