The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Screw the players. Greedy lemmings that just go along with Fehr and his power trip.

You really think the players have any sense of what it takes to run an NHL hockey team? They have absolutely NO CLUE as to the real world. They are in a bubble.

The owners have SO many more expenses that are rising year after year and the players expect to continue making more money on ludicrous contracts. It's easy to side with the players in markets such as Vancouver or Toronto because the owners are making a pretty penny; but look at any of the 15 bottom feeder NHL teams and it's obvious the player's are getting paid WAY too much.

Sadly the players can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that unless each owner is coming out in the positive, it doesn't make sense for them to continue operating = no more job for you.

Screw the players. Greedy lemmings that just go along with Fehr and his power trip.

You really think the players have any sense of what it takes to run an NHL hockey team? They have absolutely NO CLUE as to the real world. They are in a bubble.

The owners have SO many more expenses that are rising year after year and the players expect to continue making more money on ludicrous contracts. It's easy to side with the players in markets such as Vancouver or Toronto because the owners are making a pretty penny; but look at any of the 15 bottom feeder NHL teams and it's obvious the player's are getting paid WAY too much.

Sadly the players can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that unless each owner is coming out in the positive, it doesn't make sense for them to continue operating = no more job for you.

Sure is considerate of Rick Nash, who has God knows how many millions in the bank to push subsistence level players like my friend out of pro hockey jobs in Europe and take the bread off their tables just because they can. Lol. That's the kind of union a fella can support!

I hope the owners kill these guys. Douches.

I understand the owners of losing franchises are in a bind, and something does need to be done for those markets to stay intact.

Why bother? why is the NHL trying to keep these in the negative teams going?

A contraction IMO would be even better than relocation.

since the league started its expansion with the Sharks, 2 profitable teams out of 9, Ottawa and Minny.

The rest are garbage!!

Can you imagine how healthy this league would be with 21 teams again? If we never expanded!! Instead of expansion, move the weak teams out of the 21 to Ottawa, Minny and Colorado!

For how unpopular hockey is in the USA we have way to many teams!

Let hockey grow in the places it's roots like the soil!

To all the people complaining about the players taking jobs in Europe - remember, the players wanted to play this year. They offered to play under the previous CBA, which has seen league revenues skyrocket. They also offered to take a smaller percentage of salary in their first offer, and their proposal was a better long term business model for the league.

Your friend in Europe only has the owners to blame.

Yay... bargaining tactics that include the media...

Lets put our whole fanbase through hell for bit...

Geez.... can't you just operate behind closed doors and get this crap dealt with without causing such stress.... children act better at times working things out with each other...

Plain and simple... pisses me off...

Perhaps if I drink enough beer, I'll turn into a soccer fan...

It's funny because a lot of these economic issues regarding small market teams would have been avoided for the most part at least if Bettman wasn't so insistent on keeping teams in Phoenix, Atlanta, Columbus, etc...

It's also funny because-...well this one's obvious. Players are complaining about MULTI-MILLION dollar salaries.

In the end, I'm against the players on this one. True, the NHL kept going back to the well when there was no water in it, but that doesn't justify the players' actions for the situation now. A 7-10% reduction in revenue sharing is NOTHING when you're making a minimum of half a million bucks a year. Give me a ****ing break will ya? If you want to keep playing in an economically stable league, give up some of your dough, you've got more than you need. The players have forgotten that they are the employees this working relationship with the owners. These guys are "sacrificing" squat; they need a reality check, and fast.

Leave your pride and ego at the door and get it done. For the love of god...this is so frustrating. It's like watching two five year olds fighting for the last chocolate chip cookie.

Yes the players would prefer to play under the old CBA. And yes the players will push the owners to lock them out because they will refuse to sign on for what the owners are offering. It is very simple. It is the players' decision to be locked out. It is NOT their first choice of course, but it is their decision. Accept the NHL offer or anything close to it and there is no lock out. Refuse and you are locked out. What is so hard to understand here? (and the escrow has nothing to do with this whatsoever)

To all the people complaining about the players taking jobs in Europe - remember, the players wanted to play this year. They offered to play under the previous CBA, which has seen league revenues skyrocket. They also offered to take a smaller percentage of salary in their first offer, and their proposal was a better long term business model for the league.

Your friend in Europe only has the owners to blame.

Sportsnet World has it (used to be called Setanta, is available online as well), but there is little else apart from the sometimes televised Canada or US local matches. Heineken Cup rugby and the Rugby Championship (formerly the Tri-Nations) are great to watch and can have some nailbiters.

I'll be checking out a few more rugby matches while also searching for AHL and junior games, for sure.

have you not been following the situation?

after each proposal they go on live television and break down the proposal and say this is why we disagree with it. they are all well aware of what is going on, the players themselves have said that. that was one of the big things fehr did was unite the players and are keeping them in the know. they even created a phone app to help lol

im not condoning what selanne said im just responding to you saying the players need to shut up because they dont know what is going on. They know everything that is going on and saying they dont know the details is 300% false

Sportsnet World has it (used to be called Setanta, is available online as well), but there is little else apart from the sometimes televised Canada or US local matches. Heineken Cup rugby and the Rugby Championship (formerly the Tri-Nations) are great to watch and can have some nailbiters.

I'll be checking out a few more rugby matches while also searching for AHL and junior games, for sure.

Archived