The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

NHL and NHLPA will choke on their own money. I see a new league forming and players get only a fraction if what they used to. Fehr is a baseball man not a hockey minded guy and will take it too far. Bettman will shut down the season and then sit on the fact fans will be lost and moved along to other things never to return for this post lockout.

You nailed it.

As someone previously posted I didn't see Gionta offering any of his contract back to the Habs for non-performance. The only point I can agree with most anti-ownership blogers is the contract rollbacks. I do not agree with this in any form. When someone signs a contract it has to be lived up to. If the NHL had publically stated that franchises would have to honour any contract and that no rollback would happen even if it was allowed in the 2004 CBA then the Weber, Parise and Suter deals wouldn't have happened.

For those that constantly cast this dispute into a labour vs owner scenario then carry it to extreme. Suggesting that ticket prices are simply because of 'greedy' owners when the players are 57% of cost and thusly the ticket price, is farcical. The bitter reality that most don't want to acknowledge is that when you work for someone you are simply selling your time. If you don't like your job move on. Ownership should gain incremental revenues based on efficiences, market penetration and yes control of cost.

I am quite prepared to see the NHL go broke if ownership has misread their businesses. They have no guarantee of success and with looming financial crisis in both the USA and Canada it could happen. If it does I will move on to another interest. Both these parties, the players and owners, run that risk. I am suggesting that ownership answers to far more pressures than do the players. If ownership is to far out of line then another league can take over. Why don't the players form a quasi NHL co-operative and barnstorm North America. If revenue is the determinant of what running the business is all about they should be successful.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the NHL business plan to market the game through media broadcast? Fans dwell on the ticket aspect but that isn't the reality. This will be the biggest incentive to ownership cutting a deal. If media buyers start to right off the NHL then their plan falls apart. The NBA, MLB and NFL do not survive from gate revenue. The NHL has not matured to the point where TV revenue can provide the money enjoyed by the other sports. They may never do that. the NBC contract at $2 billion was a great start. If the NHL aspiration is to follow the senior leagues then similiar contracts are probably their objective. Those leagues have player cost at roughly 50% of revenue. I suspect that is where the NHL will end up. With NHL revenue still dependant on gate receipts I don't know whether that will give the owners enough revenue.

Daly said that very little progress was made today, and apparently they didn't even talk about money.

All they talked about was drug testing...

Why are they even bothering to meet? They're just going through the motions and making it look like they're working on something. If they were actually serious, they would spend a full week of full day meetings trying to hammer out numbers. Not meeting for 4 hours here and 4 hours there. It's a joke. What do these people get paid for?

The owners only concern is making more and thinking they can stick it to the players. Yes there are some teams that are losing money but revenue sharing or moving the franchises are the only real ways to address that. Lowering the cap won't make the Coyotes profitable only more league revenue sharing could do that. The Canucks would never disclose what they made last year but it is probably in excess of $50 million after everything is considered. If the cap is lowered the Canucks would make more money and not even consider passing any of that savings onto the fans. The owners don't really want to negotiate they just want the players to cave because they expect them to think in terms of the shortterm money lost. I agree both parties will fair poorly from the lockout in the shortterm but are the players just suppose to cave everytime a CBA ends? When the owners initially suggested a drop from 57% to 43%, I was shocked. That was a brutal way to start the negotiating.

Yes the last CBA has worked out pretty good for the players because of the rising revenues and because of the GM's longterm contracts but the revenues won't keep rising at that pace. I think one of the main reasons thst revenues have gone up so much is because of the Canadian dollar and all the regional Canadian TV contracts. In 2004 the dollar was under 80 cents and now it is over par. But both of these factors are probably maxed out now so the growth rate can't continue

The problem from the players standpoint isn't just signing this collective agreement the problem for them is they have to really stand up to the owners one time or the owners arrogance will never go away.

Think about, imagine you worked for a company that one day signed you to a contract and the next day said give us back 20% and if you don't like it quit. And then said you don't have any good alternatives so take it or leave it. Now even though they may be right in terms of pay do you really want to work for a company that treats you with that much disrespect? Bettman is out of control and the players have to stand up to him at some point. A long work stoppage now may be the best thing in the longterm. Look at baseball, after Fehr beat the owners in 1994 and stood up to them they haven't come close to a work stoppage since and revenues continue to grow and almost everyteam is making money. All sides are happy because now there is a true partnership between players and owners. Hockey is too fractioned. This has to be settled once and for all.

I was a teen during that 1994 baseball lockout and remember hating Donald Fehr with a passion at that the time. I'm sure by the end of the contract he will be hated by most hockey fans too but I think he is the right hire for the players because he is the only guy capable of standing up to Bettman and I think that needs to be done.

Bettman really really needs to go for the good of hockey. The revenues of all the sports have grown substantially since 1994 and hockey's has probably grown the least so I am not sure why he gets so much credit for that.

I'm with you they are getting shafted but imo the players hold non of the cards. You have a handful of teams in the NHL that make good money, some clubs barley break even or maybe make a small profit, the rest lose money, so why would these billionare owners care if they lockout players for a season? They know what will happen in the end, the players will cave, if the players wait a season they'll never make that money back. I get they don't want to look weak but they can't seriously think they are going to win this battle by waiting for the owners to flinch.

Great Post Boudrias!!

It is the NHL,s objective to be as successful as possible for the long term. Creating a business plan to do this means using other leagues as examples for your sharing of league revenues. The NHL of all the big leagues has not only the highest percent of revenues going to the players it also has the highest percentage of teams in financial distress.

On the subject of ticket prices...... If your arena is sold out every game and people are scalping tickets for larger sums than why would you lower them?? I know it sucks to be priced out of the market but in the end a blue collar guy like me goes to a couple of games every year instead of ten. That's just the way it is.........Thank you HDTV.

You don't understand Donald Fehr. He is just as hard headed as Bettman. He also has made the NHLPA nearly mutiny proof. The players will not cave this time. The sticking point for players is the owners demand for contract rollbacks.

I'm telling you Fehr will never agree to that.

Seen this? Diary of a locked out NHL player - http://thebarnstorme...r/cheap-throat/

eg. 1st post from day 1

12:00PM — Got up. Had three coffees and a box of Sudafed before I remembered there was no practice today. Washed the Maserati. Called agent to see if there were any jobs I could take away from old friends in Europe. Watched Ellen.

Created myself in NHL2K12. Rose up the minor league ranks by lunchtime. Beat the crap out PK Subban in my first game. It’s not racism. I just don’t like the guy. Then GM traded me to the Habs. Still refuse to pass him the puck. So confused.

The season should have started today. It didn't because a bunch of grown men can't agree on how to divide up the obscene amount of money the fans give them for having some of the best jobs in the world. The owners may be the ranch owners and the players may be the ranch hands, but without the fans there wouldn't be any ranches at all! Despite that, there seems to be little, if any, concern for the fans. It's just assumed we'll be back and making it rain. Only by letting them know that they can no longer take our support for granted will we be considered at all. If they don't hear our voices, maybe they will hear the collective sounds of our wallets going into lock down! Even if we can't do much about this lockout, if we band together we can send a message and hopefully avoid any future stoppages.

So, I hope others will join me in a.....

NHLFanLockout.jpg

NHL Fan Lockout Pledge

I pledge to not spend a single penny on anything NHL related during any season where a single game is lost due to a work stoppage of any kind. If an entire season is lost due to a work stoppage of any kind, I pledge to not spend a single penny on anything NHL related for the entire next season.

The season should have started today. It didn't because a bunch of grown men can't agree on how to divide up the obscene amount of money the fans give them for having some of the best jobs in the world. The owners may be the ranch owners and the players may be the ranch hands, but without the fans there wouldn't be any ranches at all! Despite that, there seems to be little, if any, concern for the fans. It's just assumed we'll be back and making it rain. Only by letting them know that they can no longer take our support for granted will we be considered at all. If they don't hear our voices, maybe they will hear the collective sounds of our wallets going into lock down! Even if we can't do much about this lockout, if we band together we can send a message and hopefully avoid any future stoppages.

NHLFanLockout.jpg

NHL Fan Lockout Pledge

I pledge to not spend a single penny on anything NHL related during any season where a single game is lost due to a work stoppage of any kind. If an entire season is lost due to a work stoppage of any kind, I pledge to not spend a single penny on anything NHL related for the entire next season.

Maybe not. But I am for one am sticking to it. We're already telling people not to buy us anything with a Canucks logo on it for Christmas (as we often get at least one fan gift a year). If even a percentage of the foot stomping "I'm not coming back ever!" people just locked out their wallets for one year then maybe fans would start to be taken more seriously and the NHL wouldn't think they can just whatever they want without an repercussions.

NHLFanLockout.jpg

NHL Fan Lockout Pledge

Red Wings Henrik Zetterberg thinks that some players will remain overseas this year:

“I know for a fact Russians will probably stay,” Zetterberg said. “I can’t blame them either. The Russian league treats players a different way. For them to play in their home country and not have these (labor) disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there. If you sign a deal, that’s the deal you get.”

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/10/red_wings_henrik_zetterberg_st_1.html

Sharks Ryane Clowe on the lockout:

“Players are on the same page,” Clowe told ESPN.com Wednesday. “No one’s cracking. We’re informed and updated and guys have a good understanding of what’s going on. …

“We’re hockey players,” he added. “We’re not going to get pushed around.”

“The way I see it, if Ryan Suter or Zach Parise signed those big deals in July and then arrived at training camp and said, ‘We’re not playing until we get 20 percent more on our contract,’ there would be an uproar,” said Clowe. “The owners would say, ‘No chance.’ Well, it’s the same thing. Contracts have been signed, both the owners and the players have signed these contracts. Now they’re trying to take whatever percentage off the top? It’s all about principle. It’s a handshake and an agreement. Why did all these owners rush to sign all these players before the lockout?”

“I’m sure there are owners that want to be playing now and probably like our last proposal,” said Clowe. “Obviously Gary has done a good job keeping the reins tight. But I can’t believe how the owners are kept on the back burner like that.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/19675/ryane-clowe-players-arent-cracking

Red Wings Henrik Zetterberg thinks that some players will remain overseas this year:

“I know for a fact Russians will probably stay,” Zetterberg said. “I can’t blame them either. The Russian league treats players a different way. For them to play in their home country and not have these (labor) disputes every other year … and they honor the contracts over there. If you sign a deal, that’s the deal you get.”

http://www.mlive.com...rberg_st_1.html

Sharks Ryane Clowe on the lockout:

“Players are on the same page,” Clowe told ESPN.com Wednesday. “No one’s cracking. We’re informed and updated and guys have a good understanding of what’s going on. …

“We’re hockey players,” he added. “We’re not going to get pushed around.”

“The way I see it, if Ryan Suter or Zach Parise signed those big deals in July and then arrived at training camp and said, ‘We’re not playing until we get 20 percent more on our contract,’ there would be an uproar,” said Clowe. “The owners would say, ‘No chance.’ Well, it’s the same thing. Contracts have been signed, both the owners and the players have signed these contracts. Now they’re trying to take whatever percentage off the top? It’s all about principle. It’s a handshake and an agreement. Why did all these owners rush to sign all these players before the lockout?”

“I’m sure there are owners that want to be playing now and probably like our last proposal,” said Clowe. “Obviously Gary has done a good job keeping the reins tight. But I can’t believe how the owners are kept on the back burner like that.”

http://espn.go.com/b...-arent-cracking

Archived