The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I don't know about completely unfair.  If they continued to play under the terms of the expired CBA while negotiating a new deal, the players could possibly stage a strike right before the playoffs which is the owner's most lucrative time of year.  Fehr did this with baseball a couple of times.

It's completely within the rights of the owners to lock the players out just as would have been completely within the players' rights to strike.  It's just that the NHL / owners pulled the trigger first.

It's not just about Arizona either.  I believe they are trying to make it so as many southern teams as possible can survive in the markets they are in, all in the pursuit of that big U.S. TV contract they are probably never going to get.

Well in the end between the two proposals the basic issue is that the owners want to get to 50/50 starting immediately.... the players want to have that reduction to the same split gradually come over the next 3-4 years.

Pretty tough to side with the owners as that with the basic argument

I thought the players were being greedy. Then I heard their proposals. Then I heard the owners rejected them. I have pulled a 180 and now fully support the players. To say no to that 3rd proposal is just shameful on the owners.

That is right... it reduces slowly over the course of the agreement. It is not an immediate claw-back on existing contracts as the NHL wants.

I don't know many businesses where the owners can lookan employee in the eye, shake hands, and sign contracts.... and then turnaround the next hour getting on a conference call with the league demanding that they negotiate a way not to honour it.

That is exactly what has been happening over the past few months since July 1st.

Archived