The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

That is movement, but it really just illustrates the fact that the NHL was lying to fans all along by pretending that they weren't rolling back salaries when they really were. They just think we're all too dumb to understand.

Still, any movement is good. So here's hoping!

This. I have never taken you to be a serious poster because I've always seen you post with these immature insults. It's difficult to take you seriously at all. Just like your last paragraph. These guys make millions, but clearly they have no idea how to do their jobs yet, you claim to have better judgement.

Not only do those numbers show that the previous CBA was not completely out of line with what other major sports leagues had it also shows that NHL players' are not paid far beyond what players are paid in other leagues. In fact, while they may have the highest minimum salary they have the second lowest league average salary and second lowest career average salary.

Well wether its caving diving whining and even pouting Fehr will have to listen to the average player...and it will be sooner than later....Not everyone is gonna be getting big escrow cheques lol

NATIONAL POST

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr met with a group of players in Minnesota on Monday night and acknowledged in an interview with the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that some of his constituents are concerned about lost wages that are mounting during the lockout.

When I look at Fehr and Bettman, I see two very different people.

Fehr has organized a phone app to collect, share and update players and allow for their input. He's simply organised and mobilised the players so they can all communicate their views from wherever they are. He's not telling the players what to do. Many players have come out an said honour our contracts. He's just passing the message along via the NHLPA offers. They've asked to get back to the table with no conditions attached. What else could they do, other than accept the crappy NHL offer?

Bettman on the other hand is more of a dictator. He's silenced the owners from saying anything, and in fact, I expect Melknyk to get fined for his harmless comments. Bettman isn't even representing half the owners I'll bet. Make no mistake that he's running the show and has complete power based on a "minority" of the board and the governing rules. We need to do away with this dictatorship style leadership before everything is in ruins.

That is movement, but it really just illustrates the fact that the NHL was lying to fans all along by pretending that they weren't rolling back salaries when they really were. They just think we're all too dumb to understand.

Still, any movement is good. So here's hoping!

I'm hoping the latest make whole is fully on the owners. The comment "will absorb share" makes me think they have offered to take care of part of it.

I can't see how the NHLPA would go along with the rest of the contract rule changes. Perhaps they might agree to some of them if the UFA length is reduced by a year.

Yes, the NHL generates the least amount of revenue (at least as far as we know....they won't release their numbers from last season despite having them...wonder why that is). And? The players' share is determined as a percentage and "given that NFL players were receiving 54% of their league revenues at the time while basketball players received 57% of their league revenues, it seems a little insulting to ask an intelligent consumer to believe that the NHL’s arrival at this 54-57% range was not influenced at all by industry standards set in the NFL and NBA." (Source: http://www.forbes.co...f-nhl-revenues/)

So, they set the numbers according to what was standard in other sports leagues at the time. This time around, 50% is more the industry standard and players have already said they would drop to that. They have only asked that their contracts be honored as the owners signed them, not a rolled back version that allows owners to promise one thing and then merely months later say they'll actually be paying much less. That's bad faith negotiating. It's bad for player/owner relations in the future and frankly it should be bad for fan/league relations. Why should the richest people in the world be held to a lower standard than any quilt making grandma on Judge Judy?

I'll answer your question with another: would I have a picture of him from his summer media appearances in it if I did?

I'll stop you though, before you try and draw an incorrect conclusion based on the fact that I didn't have him there until after he became a Canuck.

My allegiances for hockey teams lies with the Canucks because of my geographical location. I became more than a casual fan of the team because I became invested in players like Thomas Gradin, Richard Brodeur, Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, etc. since I was able to watch them closely. Without those players to cheer, I would have been more a fan of hockey that probably liked the Canucks, but well could have had a different favourite team.

I was also a fan of other teams growing up. When they weren't playing the Canucks, I liked to cheer for teams like the Bruins (due to Ray Bourque) and the Kings (due to Marcel Dionne). I don't cheer for them any more - but it's not because those teams recently beat us in the playoffs, rather because those players have moved on and I stopped liking those teams as much.

I also liked other players (Ron Hextall, Dale Hawerchuck, Andy Moog) and watched them play wherever they went. I followed Paul Karyia's career as we went to the same high school when he played for Penticton because I was invested in him as a player.

I still have other players I'm a fan of on other teams now, and it has little to do with who they play for.

Archived