The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

As proposed a gradual decline in the percentage revenue sharing overtime may be more realistic to help the teams adjust and stay under the cap, and if revenue continues to rise with lesser revenue sharing, this should help out teams to pay out the actual values of contracts. I understand 40% of players don't have a contract, so the teams will have to work with what they already have under contract (the elite contracts) then incorporate the remaining contracts that still need to be settled to fit under the cap. If this is an impossibility for the team ie. to pay out or stay under the cap, then trade away some contracts until the bottom line and cap works or as has been suggested, teams who remain over the cap pay a penalty to be paid out to the marginal teams. This also addresses the issue of burying player's cap hit ie. sending them to the minors. Teams can no longer do that but instead can pay a penalty.

You know they have to pay relocation fees to the NHL, right? The fees just to relocate to Winnipeg were $60 M.

Of course, neither matters to players as the NHL does not share its revenue. In either case, new teams generate revenue and relocated teams hopefully start earning instead of losing, and that matters to everyone.

EDIT: I think the major problem the NHL has with expanding into Canadian markets is that there's little to be gained. Hockey fans here will seek out a team even if one isn't near them. When teams relocate, fans just move their loyalty but not many new fans come. In the States, though, they have more hope of actually drawing new people to being fans. Basically Canadian teams are seen as merely splitting certain revenue but American teams are seen as having the potential to grow league revenue.

New York has three teams, I don't get why they don't have another team in the most profitable market.

How about TOR is granted an expansion team. Let's grant MLSE exclusive rights and ownership to the second franchise. (no territory problem with approving this) An expansion fee of XXX% of that new teams revenue goes to revenue sharing pool for the upcoming CBA period. Upon completion of the CBA, an additional expansion fee is charged to separate the ownership into two groups.

Does anyone know if December is the absolute earliest the season can start? Like if they reached a deal mid next week, could we get playing around November 20th ish?

Prior to the start of the season, most people were speculating that December was the most likely start. Based on recent events, it would appear that it is indeed leaning towards december.

Also ppl in New York or Columbus are much more interested seeing a game against PHX more than agians WPG. Most ppl in the states have never even heard of a place named Winnipeg. A PHX team may lose money but gives the league much more credibility to casual (American) hockey fans. Same goes with Miami.

Does anyone know if December is the absolute earliest the season can start? Like if they reached a deal mid next week, could we get playing around November 20th ish?

Prior to the start of the season, most people were speculating that December was the most likely start. Based on recent events, it would appear that it is indeed leaning towards december.

I would not. Perhaps because I'm old enough to remember when the Canucks depended on the NHL welfare system to pay the bills. I remember when the Canucks were talked about being moved out of the city because the PC was half empty. I also remember the CAD$ at .65 US.

The US economy is recovering, as it gets better the US $ will strengthen and the Canucks not be as profitable as they are now.

It was not always thus.

That's probably true. But that also means that the league as a whole has to be willing to pay for it. If it's a business decision to put teams in known crappy markets for the overall benefits, the NHL has to be willing to take responsibility for that business decision instead of asking players to take the hit for it. That kind of business model makes team revenue sharing a must.

Archived