The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts has a lot of interesting bits on the CBA negotiations today:

1. ...There was a lot of reaction to the list of hardliners I wrote about last week. One owner reached out to say I was "conservative" and "it wasn't just the small markets" who were taking a hard-line stand. Another governor said "you wouldn't believe what some of the big-market teams are saying."

5. This, to me, was the difference between the teams that were named and those who weren't: If we get to 50/50 in a couple of years, some of the tough talkers will be satisfied. Others won't. They'll still want concessions on the contract issues and revenue sharing. Could be wrong, but I'd put Calgary in the first group.

8. OK, enough of that. I mentioned Fehr's hatred of "ill-timed quotes." He tells a story about one baseball work stoppage where they were getting to a deal, only to have the league pull an offer very late in the process. He realized that one player told a reporter his group was excited about the possibility of returning, and the owners thought this was evidence of "cracking." That moment stuck with him - he's repeated the story a few times since taking the NHLPA job. There is no doubt he warned his constituency over the past 48 hours to be careful.

10. Very interesting question: If Fehr walked into today's meeting and said, "We want you to guarantee the make-whole and play 82 games," would the NHL say no?

13. Great point made by one source: How much pressure does the NHL feel to make traction and avoid negativity overshadowing the Hall of Fame ceremony next week?

16. The New York Post's Larry Brooks had a good idea for the salary-floor problem. The NHL's last offer actually annoyed some owners by proposing the floor be reached by actual salary instead of artificial inflation due to bonuses. You can see these two thoughts being the solution: make the floor a percentage, but actual cash if it's important enough to the players.

17. An article that went under the radar was this one from The Toronto Star's Kevin McGran. Mathieu Schneider's comment about a cap on escrow - and Daly's reaction - are telling.

19. Some other things to look out for: teams can only insure contracts for seven years. Is that a length the league and players would be comfortable with?

23. Best guess: if the season starts December 1 (or a few days sooner), the number of games will start with a 7. And the regular season is extended a week or two beyond what was originally scheduled.

All the signs are there that this lockout is on the verge of being over and a resolution in place.

Expect the talks to get more frequent and positive and an agreement to be signed in under 2 weeks.

There's absolutely no chance in hell that this lockout ends this NHL season.

I'd wager every last dollar of my retirement savings on that.

Hockey begins Dec.1 or even earlier. Quote me on that!

All the signs are there that this lockout is on the verge of being over and a resolution in place.

Expect the talks to get more frequent and positive and an agreement to be signed in under 2 weeks.

There's absolutely no chance in hell that this lockout ends this NHL season.

I'd wager every last dollar of my retirement savings on that.

Hockey begins Dec.1 or even earlier. Quote me on that!

Archived