The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I'm done. Really.

STH for 10 years calliI'ng the Canucks tomorrow to cancel my seats.

I hate greedy billionaire owners who even if they saved 10 - 20% of thier costs won't even think of dropping ticket prices! Makes me want to puke......

I hate greedy players who are crying because they will only make 1.8 mil a year instead of 2.2 mil. Athletes, actors and the like are way overpaid!!!

Schleps like us bustin' our humps to make a living and I am going to spend $8,000.00 a year on filling these whiners pockets?????

People homeless here or starving in war torn countries or living in catastrophic conditions all over the world. And these pigs can't come to grips with how they want to divide up our money????

Pox on all thier houses!

Some poor sucker on the blueline waiting list can have them!!!!!!!! Seriously Vancouver FANS, get a grip. Spend your money on people who deserve and appreciate it!

There I feel better already :-)

Over and out.

Oh, I see. I understand your point, but I don't think you can compare a sports franchise to any other kind of business. It's not. It's tied to and limited by other businesses in an artificial market.

And it's not like owners don't know going in what the business is like. None of them bought a team thinking they were gold mines only to find out the were black pits. They were, I'm sure, made fully aware of the financial situation before buying in.

Also, owners have a say in how much they pay players, so it seems silly for them to complain about something they have control over. If it were a real problem, they could just pay them less. But of course, the smart owner knows that big name players tend to generate higher revenue, making them good (when selected smartly) investments.

Many have argued, as you seem to be, that teams losing money should be allowed to fold but that will likely not happen because the teams need one another. More teams mean more games, which in turn means more revenue for the financially successful teams. A better plan, as many have suggested, is to move unsuccessful teams to better hockey markets. The only other real option is sufficient team revenue sharing.

In the end, it all comes down to owners taking responsibility for their own businesses.

I'm done. Really.

I hate greedy billionaire owners who even if they saved 10 - 20% of thier costs won't even think of dropping ticket prices! Makes me want to puke......

I hate greedy players who are crying because they will only make 1.8 mil a year instead of 2.2 mil. Athletes, actors and the like are way overpaid!!!

Schleps like us bustin' our humps to make a living and I am going to spend $8,000.00 a year on filling these whiners pockets?????

People homeless here or starving in war torn countries or living in catastrophic conditions all over the world. And these pigs can't come to grips with how they want to divide up our money????

Pox on all thier houses!

Some poor sucker on the blueline waiting list can have them!!!!!!!! Seriously Vancouver FANS, get a grip. Spend your money on people who deserve and appreciate it!

Over and out.

I'm done. Really.

Pox on all thier houses!

Over and out.

Chronology of the 2011 NBA lockout. The parallels are staggering. Bettman and Stern both came out of the same law firm that represented both leagues in their respective lockouts. Note that Nov 14th was the day Stern started talking about cancelling the season.

• July 1, 2011: The NBA locks out its players at 12:01 a.m. EDT as the collective-bargaining agreement expires. "We didn't see any options," Commissioner David Stern said. It's the NBA's third labor stoppage and the first since the shortened 1998-99 season.

The league claims 22 of its 30 teams are unprofitable. NBA owners want to sharply cut the players' 57% share of basketball revenue from the last deal. Players offer to cut their share to 54.3% and give up $500 million in revenue for five seasons, a gesture Stern dismissed as "modest."

Said Billy Hunter, executive director of the players' union: "Maybe we can now really begin to negotiate."

• Aug. 31: The NBA and the players' union meet for six hours; it's only the second negotiating session since the lockout began.

• Sept. 23: NBA postpones training camps indefinitely and scraps exhibition games through Oct. 15. Minnesota Timberwolves center Anthony Tolliver tweets: "I might go apply at Dairy Queen until this #NBAlockout ends. #freefood."

• Sept. 27: Players' union President Derek Fisher writes in a letter to players that there's a "divide" among NBA owners about their commitment to a "hard" salary cap. He tells players that owners can help solve the league's financial problems. "It's time for our large-market teams to share some of the wealth with each other."

• Oct. 1: NBA owners and players have their longest bargaining session since the lockout began, but make little progress. Hunter says the parties are "miles apart."

• Oct. 4: NBA cancels the rest of its exhibition season after labor talks fall apart. "Our guys have indicated a willingness to lose games," Hunter says. Stern says he'd ask league owners to accept a 50% split of basketball-related income, and the union responds that such a share was "unacceptable." Kobe Bryant attends the negotiations. "The development here is that I have time to play overseas," Bryant says.

• Oct. 10: Stern cancels the first two weeks of the regular season after a seven-hour negotiating session fails. Stern says there's "no chance" of a full, 82-game schedule being played.

• Oct. 18: NBA owners and players have a 16-hour bargaining session with federal mediator George Cohen that extends into the next day.

pixel.gif• Oct. 20: Negotiations break off when owners remain firm on a 50-50 split, ending a three-day run of 30 hours of discussions with a mediator. Hunter is "shocked" at the owners' take-it-or-leave-it proposal. Players cut their demand to 52.5% of basketball-related income.

• Oct. 26: Talks resume; a 15-hour session extends into the next day.

• Oct. 27: After a seven-hour meeting with NBA owners, Hunter says, "I think we're within striking distance of getting a deal."

• Oct. 28: Players and owners are unable to reach a deal after 51/2 hours of negotiations. Stern cancels all games through Nov. 30.

• Nov. 6: Another marathon bargaining session ends with an ultimatum from Stern: accept a sliding-scale offer where players could make 49% to 51% of BRI by Nov. 8 or the next offer will be less favorable.

• Nov. 7 Jeffrey Kessler, players' union attorney, blasts the NBA and Stern: "Instead of treating the players like partners, they're treating them like plantation workers."

• Nov. 8 The players' union turns down the NBA's latest offer.

• Nov. 10: NBA lockout reaches its 133rd day, surpassing the length of this year's NFL lockout, which led to the cancellation of only one exhibition game. Stern makes a modified offer to the union.

• Nov. 14: On the 138th day of the NBA lockout, players begin the process of disbanding the union so they can file an antitrust suit against the league. Stern warns the season is "now in jeopardy."

• Nov. 15: Players file antitrust lawsuits against the league in federal courts in California and Minnesota.

• Nov. 22. Negotiations resume between lawyers for the players and the NBA.

• Nov. 26: After another marathon bargaining session, the sides reach a tentative deal and expect a 66-game regular season to start Christmas Day.

You realize the guy you're supporting is like 14, based solely on grammar and his name which looks like he smashed his keyboard. I guess republicans think like 14 y/o's so I shouldn't be shocked that you seem to share his viewpoint despite logic demonstrating otherwise. But ya, totally go owners and their inability to negotiate like adults, because clearly they should get their way by virtue of simply being rich!

I see you thought that one through.

Just like a player lover to cut down the opposition lol Ouch my feelings are hurt....atleast im here{taps your forehead} lol Helloooo? Anybody home...Meanwhile, Bettman suggests and 2 week Moratorium.....lol Wow...Guess the Owners are not as worried some may think. :/But know that this was due to a call from Fehr that the NHLPA did not know where to go from there.{Last set of talks end in stalemate} From there Bettman suggested the 2 week break. Then the idiot brother Steve says "We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't," NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr said in a statement. "So we are ready to meet. If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the players meet their preconditions."What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?"Lol whut? It tells me that the NHLPA are been way to pouty for negotiations lol If you do not know where go from the previous talks and the NHL has given you a propsal and contract terms that they will dicuss but not stray far from well then the ball is in your court STEVEN.....of course take a break why wait around while both sides try to get a meeting out of each other. The NHL has decided we are gonna take a break and the NHLPA can stew on the last proposal to either tweek or accept....lolJust accept it and get on the ice....save face Crysby... I say this because your fans are starting to dwindle and come to the Darkside :) Welcome Poetica ;)

Just like a player lover to cut down the opposition lol Ouch my feelings are hurt....atleast im here{taps your forehead} lol Helloooo? Anybody home...Meanwhile, Bettman suggests and 2 week Moratorium.....lol Wow...Guess the Owners are not as worried some may think. :/But know that this was due to a call from Fehr that the NHLPA did not know where to go from there.{Last set of talks end in stalemate} From there Bettman suggested the 2 week break. Then the idiot brother Steve says "We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't," NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr said in a statement. "So we are ready to meet. If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the players meet their preconditions."What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?"Lol whut? It tells me that the NHLPA are been way to pouty for negotiations lol If you do not know where go from the previous talks and the NHL has given you a propsal and contract terms that they will dicuss but not stray far from well then the ball is in your court STEVEN.....of course take a break why wait around while both sides try to get a meeting out of each other. The NHL has decided we are gonna take a break and the NHLPA can stew on the last proposal to either tweek or accept....lolJust accept it and get on the ice....save face Crysby... I say this because your fans are starting to dwindle and come to the Darkside :) Welcome Poetica ;)

Awesome update today on TSN's "That's Pointless"... sorry ""That's Hockey":

Owners and NHLPA agree to not meet for at least two weeks.

Jeeeeeeezuz effing CHRIST!!! Thanks for the valuable update!! This crap is making me sick now. Cancel the friggin season for all I care. So tired of all of this greed BS. The NHL as a whole can suck a fat one, and I know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Shame on these owners and players.

I'm done. Really.

Pox on all thier houses!

Over and out.

Archived