The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I see, so the managers have no idea of the teams revenues or financial standing when they make these idotic offers, and the owners are totally out to lunch on how much money their managers are throwing around? :blink:

Yeah I am sure Ed Snyder had nothing to do with that Shae Webber offer :rolleyes:

If the owners don't like the salaries they should reign in their irresponsible managers. Don't spend money you don't have, it is a pretty simple concept, the NHL should try it rather than trying to wring more out of the tapped out fans.

Number 1 the mess will be cleaned up instantly as all salaries will be rolled back by the same percentage as the cap. Number 2, you will continue supporting the NHL, I can guarantee that, and the owners know it. There is no way someone like you will lose interest in the NHL. At least be honest with yourself.

I can't say I'm not surprised about the impending lockout. I fully expected this to happen, and fully expect the same thing the happen at the end of the next cba expiration.

It's ridiculous and they will lose a significant fan base when this happens.

I just find this all so frustrating. As a fan, I don't see why the NHL and the NHLPA don't lock themselves in a room until they've hammered out an agreement. This half-assed 'bargaining' is just a slap in the face to the paying customer. From what I understand, Bettman and Fehr both essentially agree that the player's share of revenue should be reduced, they both agree on a hard cap, and they both agree that a lockout would be bad (at least on the surface). How hard can it be?? Just get it done. Although judging by what happened in the last lockout, I guess we'll have to wait until the deadline is up before we see them really negotiate.

There is post after post blaming Gary Bettman for a potential lockout and claiming how he's the worst person since Satin. (Was Satin a person?) any ways, Some idiotic posts even call for Bettman's death.

Revenues under Bettman went from $400 million to $3.3 billion

Number of teams went from 24 to 30

Many Canucks and Canadian fans like to blame Bettman for everything they perceive to be wrong with the NHL. Most ppl have a very short memory and they forget that just a few short years ago the CDN $ was worth close to .64 cents. Canadian teams were struggling and needed to be bailed out by American teams.

It was Bettman who helped keep afloat Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and yes the Vancouver Canucks by introducing the Canadian Assistance Plan. It was a welfare plan for Canadian teams before this current CBA and the salary cap.

Yes the Canucks were a HAVE NOT team and depended on help from American teams to pay the bills. This was only a few years ago so there is no excuse for younger members not having this information. If you remember the last lockout you should remember the Canadian teams Assistance Plan

The player's offer expects revenues to continue to increase at almost double digits percentage. There is no reason to believe this will happen. A big reason for revenue increases is the CDN$. When the current CBA was signed the CDN$ was around .81 cents US. Now its on par with the greenback. This increase has contributed a lot to NHL revenue increases. The CDN$ will not keep going higher and higher.

Its expected the CDN $ will decrease in value over the next CBA as the American economy continues to recover. If the CDN $ goes back to .80 cents NHL revenues will take a hit. The league can not, will not and should not agree to this media savy, attention grabbing offer.

This NHLPA's offer is designed to get the public behind the players. The optics are that the players are willing to give up $400+ million. This would only happen if the revenues continue to increase close to double digits for 3 more years. This is highly unlikely to happen and the owners are not stupid to buy into this nonsense.

Is it really necessary to swear on your baby sister? Especially since you don't intend to keep your word.

You swore on your baby sister that you wouldn't support hockey if there is a lockout, less than an hour later you capitulated and went back on your word.

There hasn't even been a lock out yet and you already sold out your baby sister.

Noheart, a fitting name. #clown

I really hope they can get something hammered out but by how little it seems they are meeting and how next to nothing actually comes from the supposed meetings I am not hopeful and unlike the other poster if there is any sort of lockout I won't support the NHL, theres jr hockey and I'd rather support that then have the fear of a lockout come about every time a new CBA comes out.

It won't mean much because everyone else will be back in droves (aside from some US markets) but I am hoping that if there is a strike that fans all over stick it to the NHL and don't continually fill the building up or even watch on TV

There is post after post blaming Gary Bettman for a potential lockout and claiming how he's the worst person since Satin. (Was Satin a person?) any ways, Some idiotic posts even call for Bettman's death.

Revenues under Bettman went from $400 million to $3.3 billion

Number of teams went from 24 to 30

Many Canucks and Canadian fans like to blame Bettman for everything they perceive to be wrong with the NHL. Most ppl have a very short memory and they forget that just a few short years ago the CDN $ was worth close to .64 cents. Canadian teams were struggling and needed to be bailed out by American teams.

It was Bettman who helped keep afloat Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and yes the Vancouver Canucks by introducing the Canadian Assistance Plan. It was a welfare plan for Canadian teams before this current CBA and the salary cap.

Yes the Canucks were a HAVE NOT team and depended on help from American teams to pay the bills. This was only a few years ago so there is no excuse for younger members not having this information. If you remember the last lockout you should remember the Canadian teams Assistance Plan

The player's offer expects revenues to continue to increase at almost double digits percentage. There is no reason to believe this will happen. A big reason for revenue increases is the CDN$. When the current CBA was signed the CDN$ was around .81 cents US. Now its on par with the greenback. This increase has contributed a lot to NHL revenue increases. The CDN$ will not keep going higher and higher.

Its expected the CDN $ will decrease in value over the next CBA as the American economy continues to recover. If the CDN $ goes back to .80 cents NHL revenues will take a hit. The league can not, will not and should not agree to this media savy, attention grabbing offer.

This NHLPA's offer is designed to get the public behind the players. The optics are that the players are willing to give up $400+ million. This would only happen if the revenues continue to increase close to double digits for 3 more years. This is highly unlikely to happen and the owners are not stupid to buy into this nonsense.

We are facing the THIRD lockout since Furher Bettman arrived, does that not say something about his lack of negotiating skills? The Canadian assistance plan was a drop in the bucket, $18 million over 4 years split 4 ways (Toronto and Montreal got nada), it was Emperor Bettman throwing a handful of pennies to the peasants to try to avoid being lynched, he knew if he touched another Canadian team (Edmonton has been in his gunsights ever since because it is the last remnants of the WHA to be purged) after fastracking the Jets and Nordiques out he would be strung up from the nearest tree, now how much has been spent on Phoenix alone? How much was slipped to Dallas, Tampa, Florida to meet payroll, how much was done for Winnipeg and Quebec? Did they get 5 years+ to find an owner? Going from 24 teams to 30 was NOT a good thing, and his reckless pursuit of the corporate dollar caused much of the trouble, it served to widen the gap between large and small markets, this lockout isn't about the players making too much as they owners would like you to think, it is because the handful of teams that are driving the majority of that revenue don't want to share it with teams in weak markets they insist on keeping in place, they want the players to pay for the debacle in Phoenix rather than allowing it to relocate to a better market or paying for it themselves.

Archived