The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Trying to make sense of the whole Florida thing and ran across some more interesting facts...

(From Jan, 2012)

Broward County commissioners overcame concerns about a lopsided deal for taxpayers and gave the Florida Panthers a $7.7 million loan Tuesday for arena renovations.

The arrangement also increases the profits the Florida Panthers organization can reap before Broward receives a share to use elsewhere in the county.

The Panthers' request – not the first financial request from the team over the years – was hotly debated because of long-simmering frustration that Broward has shelled out tens of millions for the arena and reaped little profits in return since it opened in 1998. The Florida Panthers organization netted $117.4 million from the county arena over that time, according to the county auditor.

The loan was changed slightly from its terms going into the vote, at Lieberman's suggestion. But the end result is that the Panthers will have to make $13.25 million in profits from the arena before Broward would start earning 20 percent. The threshold had been $12 million.

The newly approved deal says that after the Panthers hit $12 million in profits, the first $250,000 in profit-share goes into a Broward-Panthers reserve fund for the arena — not $500,000 as the Panthers had proposed before Tuesday's debate. It takes a Panthers profit of $13.25 million in order for that $250,000 reserve fund payment to be made.

Beyond that $13.25 million, Broward's 20 percent take could be used elsewhere, on projects like the county courthouse or elections office.

The Panthers made $10.4 million in profits at the county arena in 2011 and expect to make $21 million this year.

Well it makes sense. I mean with what Daly and Bettman are throwing in the media again, saying that players haven't made concessions on their own contract rights is clearly meant to stir up the public against the PA again. I see it's worked on some of our less intelligent members.

I mean saying that the PA should come further into negotiating by not only having an immediate reduction to 50%, but to also give up the contract rights they fought for back in 2004 is insane. Why would this appeal to the players at all, take less and have less bargaining power in a COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT? If anything the title of said agreement implies that it is a partnership and not an employee/employer relationship that some of these clowns are making it out to be.

It's possible to take an interest and appreciate someone at least making the effort to penetrate the wall surrounding the league's books without being sucked in. Both authors are pretty clear that there's nothing definitive in their estimates, that they're just doing the best they can given the info they're privy to.

tl;dr - Better than nothing.

You still refuse to explain what legal power the union has over the league in any way shape or form. They have no legal standing in any way shape or form.

Nor do they have any way to replenish their membership in any way shape or form.

You keep RANTING on and on , shaking your fists about a PHANTOM philosophy of power that the NHLPA simply does not have.

Anyone who thinks the players are going to 'win' anything in this is DELUDED. In fact, the only people who are losing here are the 90% of players who do not make enough to even be affected by any of these changes.

They never wanted to strike or be locked out. They are the ones whose careers are even shorter than normal. They are the ones who need to feed their families. Not the Sidney Crosbys or the Ovechkins (who can go make more millions in the KHL )

If I am the owners. I give the players and ultimatum by Jan 15th, and they do not make a deal, the NHL will ban the NHLPA from participating in the league permanently.

The players can come back and form a new union if they agree to leave the NHLPA anytime they wish.

Ok, I'll bite, just for fun :bigblush:

If Gary Bettman is red, and the players are blue, which do you prefer?

-Green and Blue! We are all Canucks

Are the players greedy for asking what was lawfully guaranteed to them?

-technically they are lawfully guaranteed nothing, as all SPC are worded subject to CBA rules. However, they are not greedy for asking what has been promised. On the other hand, the owners are greedy for rolling back what they promised.

Do you find Daly's bald forehead shiny?

-Brighter than a full moon

When you go to hockey games or buy merchandise, do you do so to proudly support your teams owner?

-I don't buy merchandise, but get gifts here and there. It's worn/purchased to support the team, not the owner specifically

When a goal gets scored do you yell 'THANK YOU AQUILINI FOR SELFLESSLY BUYING A PROFITABLE TEAM'?

-van amos van amos

Is 43% of 3.3b greater than 50% of nothing?

-yes indeed. Too bad the NHL/NHLPA can't do math

When your Mom promises to give you 3 cookies if you finish your dinner, but instead gives you 2 cookies because giving you 3 cookies would leave less cookies for her business partners, does that make you upset?

-if that cookie is a double chocolate chunk, then I'm really upset! That's ok though, I'll just make some more. Besides, its Mom, so give her all benefits of the doubt. 40G to put me through university and raising 2 kids is worth a hell of a lot more than a cookie.

If you have difficulty with any of these questions, please let me know, I know some of the bigger questions are hard for you.

-I'll admit, the cookie question was a tough one, and now I'm getting hungry

It amazes me that the owners aren't making any money due to the lockout. The players aren't making any money during the lockout. Bettman still gets paid his $7 million. No wonder he doesn't care about shutting down hockey. I guess it's not surprising that he wanted to take a two week holiday in the middle of the lockout negotiations.

Now, I want to make one thing clear - the organization that made $117.4 million in profit between 1998 and 2012 is neither the Florida Panthers nor their parent company, Sunrise Sports & Entertainment. The organization that made those profits is the aptly named Arena Operating Company, which is contracted by the city to run the BankAtlantic Center.

Archived