The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

You guys might hate me for saying this, but I think Fehr should just say to the players: "the season is lost, sign over seas", because as far as I'm concerned the NHL is not moving an inch. I mean if they were to respond with something more than "no" then things might actually progress, but as Botch aptly put it, the NHL just wants more.

this is just laughable at this point.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Bettman says business is losing $18-20 mil per day. Says players are losing between $8-10 mil per day.

but yet, you are 182million$ apart, so you are losing that in 9 days of an extended lockout from dec1? this just makes no sense. there is no way the nhl cancels the season on 182million dollars and some contracting issues.

How are these people "professional" negotiators, yet they seem to have no clue how to negotiate?

Negotiating isn't done by one side making proposals and the other side rejecting it. It's done by both sides making proposals based on a starting point, in order to find a middle ground.

The NHL has its starting point now. A comprehensive proposal from the players. How it took this long to get to that, I'm not sure. But instead of outright rejecting it, the NHL needs to build off of it.

Unfortunately the NHL seems to be playing the role of the big bad corporation that wants to crush the union.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Bettman says business is losing $18-20 mil per day. Says players are losing between $8-10 mil per day.

but yet, you are 182million$ apart, so you are losing that in 9 days of an extended lockout from dec1? this just makes no sense. there is no way the nhl cancels the season on 182million dollars and some contracting issues.

How are these people "professional" negotiators, yet they seem to have no clue how to negotiate?

Negotiating isn't done by one side making proposals and the other side rejecting it. It's done by both sides making proposals based on a starting point, in order to find a middle ground.

The NHL has its starting point now. A comprehensive proposal from the players. How it took this long to get to that, I'm not sure. But instead of outright rejecting it, the NHL needs to build off of it.

Unfortunately the NHL seems to be playing the role of the big bad corporation that wants to crush the union.

thats what this offer changed, they no longer are going for a fixed $ amount, its 50/50 and the only fixed $ amount is the makewhole of 393mil$.

quote from fehr:

"Our players’ share proposal is identical to yours in all material respects except for the amount of the transition payments added to the 50% share. There are no guarantees or fixed targets, other than a requirement that, beginning with the second year of the Agreement, players’ share, expressed in dollars, may not fall below its value for the prior season."

These guys really think they're something special.

Let some grade 8 class make it a project and let's start playing hockey next week. That could be the new Kraftville project. Pick a grade 8 class from Canada to settle the labour dispute.

GO NFL !!!!

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

My sense is, the NHL is firm on *all* the contracting rights, and gave a BS explanation for each change. How can they justify increasing the UFA limit when all other leagues are much shorter? This is an NHL owner vs owner fight that can't be won.

PA reaction I'd love to see:

You change your governing board rules to 50/50+1 vote, Bettman steps down, and then we will come back to the table.

What am I missing? " ... players share, expressed in dollars, may not fall below its value for the prior season." That appears to be a $1.88 billion guarantee for the term of the agreement. Worse case scenario what of revenue drops below the $1.88 B. It appears that the Owners would eat the whole loss.

before i could wrap my head around these talks, the league needing the reduction in salaries so the small market teams could succeed, and the players wanted to be paid in full.

but with the players latest proposal being "no'd" across the board by the NHL without so much as a negotiation and the miniscule amount of dollars seperating them the talks have certainly got me baffled at this point.

Archived