The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Since that rule only goes into effect in the 2nd year of the new CBA, the share requirement will be based on lockout damaged revenue. The effects from the lockout will almost certainly be upfront and then diminish with time. There's no reason I can think of that revenue would return to normal and then drop out of spite in 2 years. There certainly could be years where growth isn't as high as projected, but under the PA proposal players aren't guaranteed any increase from year to year, only that their share will not drop from year to year. As far as I know, NHL revenues have never gone backwards, even during some of the worst economic conditions in decades. Even after the last lockout, profits year to year.

Also, I believe the PA used the exact year-to-year projections the NHL made in there "see how far apart we are" charts for their last proposal (which is 2.5% growth of last year's revenue for the 2013/14 and then 5% growth for every year after that).

So, making a few assumptions (56m starting midpoint, 5% growth, 20% spread on cap, 7 year deal, and trading cap up to 10m)

I'm not sure if that spread means 20% between cap ceiling and cap floor, or 20% to midpoint? I'll assume 10% above and below for the moment.

year 1 50m 56m 61m

year 2 53m 59m 65m

year 3 56m 62m 68m

year 4 59m 65m 72m

year 5 ..

year 6..

year 7 67m 75m 83m

Since you could trade CAP up to 10m, at the end of the deal we could be with teams spending 57m to the floor (NYI), and 93m on the other end(NYR). If the growth is 7%, it looks even worse. Is this Bettman giving up on parity?

This. Revenues weren't at record levels even after the recession because the jerseys got nicer, the tickets got cheaper, or the cup got shinier.

You should see the attendance levels in the KHL if that's what you think.

Game featuring Chara, Ovechkin breaks KHL attendance record

Hmm, I wonder why that's a record attendance (16,304 fans) if it had nothing to do with the players being better? I also wonder why 21 of the 30 NHL teams averaged higher attendance than that record number last season?

Lots of respect to Hamrlik and Neuvirth for stepping up. We have been waiting for players to question the PA. Erik Cole is an idiot. His comments are just plain pathetic. He goes on saying that it's selfish but they says that they have to unite just because of the "respect" factor. What a joke, the guy doesn't even know what he's talking about. Too many injuries to the head for this guy.

I've said it all along. Owners and Bettman always will call the shots. The majority of players can't make the sacrifice to lose the money and season, and it's only the players with big contracts that are really being effected. Until someone steps up against the PA, this will go nowhere. Finally, players are starting to make a stand because if they don't. The Season will be over.

There has never been a reason for the Owners to crack. Latrendress is right, the longer they wait the worst the offer gets. Players will be making the same mistake they did in 2004, by losing money and the season when they will probably accept the same deal that was initially offered in the first place.

Lots of respect to Hamrlik and Neuvirth for stepping up. We have been waiting for players to question the PA. Erik Cole is an idiot. His comments are just plain pathetic. He goes on saying that it's selfish but they says that they have to unite just because of the "respect" factor. What a joke, the guy doesn't even know what he's talking about. Too many injuries to the head for this guy.

I've said it all along. Owners and Bettman always will call the shots. The majority of players can't make the sacrifice to lose the money and season, and it's only the players with big contracts that are really being effected. Until someone steps up against the PA, this will go nowhere. Finally, players are starting to make a stand because if they don't. The Season will be over.

There has never been a reason for the Owners to crack. Latrendress is right, the longer they wait the worst the offer gets. Players will be making the same mistake they did in 2004, by losing money and the season when they will probably accept the same deal that was initially offered in the first place.

I think Erik Cole's comments give a good inside perspective at what alot of the players are thinking. Clearly they've all drank the Kool-aid that Fehr has given them.

From what he's saying, this is more about principle, and fighting for the next generation of players, than it is about actual dollars. It's about doing what they did in 04/05, and standing up to the NHL to get a good deal for themselves apparently...

What a bunch of BS. First of all, I wouldn't believe for a second that they're doing this for future hockey players, and not themselves. Second of all, they didn't win anything in 04/05, in fact, most people believe that they got screwed in the last deal.

I think Cole needs to actually show some respect to a 20 year veteran and listen to him. Hamrlik has been through 3 lockouts, so he knows what the end game is. Giving up an entire season has never given them a better deal. They'll end up getting pretty much the same deal, at the cost of missing an entire year of their careers. When he says it's not worth it, he knows what he's talking about.

I think Erik Cole's comments give a good inside perspective at what alot of the players are thinking. Clearly they've all drank the Kool-aid that Fehr has given them.

From what he's saying, this is more about principle, and fighting for the next generation of players, than it is about actual dollars. It's about doing what they did in 04/05, and standing up to the NHL to get a good deal for themselves apparently...

What a bunch of BS. First of all, I wouldn't believe for a second that they're doing this for future hockey players, and not themselves. Second of all, they didn't win anything in 04/05, in fact, most people believe that they got screwed in the last deal.

I think Cole needs to actually to show some respect to a 20 year veteran and listen to him. Hamrlik has been through 3 lockouts, so he knows what the end game is. Giving up an entire season has never given them a better deal. They'll end up getting pretty much the same deal, at the cost of missing out an entire year of their careers. When he says it's not worth it, he knows what he's talking about.

I think Cole needs to actually to show some respect to a 20 year veteran and listen to him. Hamrlik has been through 3 lockouts, so he knows what the end game is. Giving up an entire season has never given them a better deal. They'll end up getting pretty much the same deal, at the cost of missing out an entire year of their careers. When he says it's not worth it, he knows what he's talking about.

I don't know how many season ticket holders there are out there like me, but I just wrote an email to my representative (which was kindly worded and not attacking), about what the organization will do to make it up to me as a season ticket holder once the season returns (this season or next). Did not say what my reaction would be should it be nothing, but I will have no problem with cancelling my season tickets.

I understand that there are always people on the waitlist and someone will take my place, but hopefully I'm not the only season ticket holder that will resort to that. If they want my support over the next 30+ years, they will need to make it up to me. If not, that will be $120,000+ over that period of time that they won't be getting from me. I have no problem putting that money to something more useful and meaningful.

I don't know how many season ticket holders there are out there like me, but I just wrote an email to my representative (which was kindly worded and not attacking), about what the organization will do to make it up to me as a season ticket holder once the season returns (this season or next). Did not say what my reaction would be should it be nothing, but I will have no problem with cancelling my season tickets.

I understand that there are always people on the waitlist and someone will take my place, but hopefully I'm not the only season ticket holder that will resort to that. If they want my support over the next 30+ years, they will need to make it up to me. If not, that will be $120,000+ over that period of time that they won't be getting from me. I have no problem putting that money to something more useful and meaningful.

Archived