#5191 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,525 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

NHL's next cancellation will be the season:

The latest NHL lockout will turn 100 days old on Monday, but understandably the occasion will not be a cause for celebrations in this country.

Instead, expect the fury and disgust and disbelief that have built up over the past three-plus months among fans to continue to intensify, and also expect more NHL followers to continue to pronounce that they are done with the NHL.

Here were some of the tweets I received after the league cancelled more games on Thursday:

"Nobody cares anymore," from @JoeRussoIII.

"What a disgrace. I hope players, owners and Bettman all realize how disgusted fans are," wrote @mjeike35.

"Cancel the season already," another tweet from @nyr_nationsaid.

"Just get it over with already," @jeffurkevich wrote.

"Just do it," @lgc_com tweeted.

One way or another this game of chicken between the owner sand the players is nearing a conclusion. That much was made clear after the league cancelled another block of games, this time through to Jan. 14. A total of 625 games or 50.8 per cent of the 2012-13 regular season now has gone up in smoke.

Some of us have speculated that January 15th was D-Day to save the season, and Thursday's announcement confirmed as much. The NHL and the players are down to their final 26 days to get a deal done and begin a 48-game schedule or kiss off another season.

The NHL wouldn't dare cancel its second season in eight years, would it? You wouldn't think so. But there already has been so much damage done to this $3.3-billion business does another nine months really make a difference at this point?

No more talking

But all the uproar will not sway the owners or the players. Only the league and the players can solve the issues at hand.

The big problem, however, there hasn't been a bargaining session since the two sides departed New Jersey following two days of mediation last Thursday.

There are no talks planned either. Heck, the two sides can't even agree on how close they are in getting a deal done. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr has said the two sides are close on a new collective agreement. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly begs to differ and has said this week that the two sides are not close.

There has been so much posturing and spinning that has gone on, the truth lies somewhere in between.

There also is this matter of the possibility that the NHLPA could file a disclaimer of interest and dissolve the union in order to open the door to file antitrust suits against the NHL. The players have been voting this week on whether to give their executive board the authorization to do so and that voting period concludes on Friday.

The NHL, meanwhile, launched a class-action lawsuit in federal court in New York as well as an unfair labour practice complaint with the U.S. National Labor Relations Board last Friday.

The threat of antitrust lawsuits triggered a deal in the NFL and NBA lockouts last year. But nobody knows how this will influence the NHL-NHLPA stalemate.

All we really do know is that the owners and the players are down to their final 26 days, and that the next cancellation will be the entire 2012-13 NHL season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...the-season.html

307mg00.jpg

#5192 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Bill Daly has repeatedly said that the PA cherry pics the NHL's offers. I suspect the PA's offer to start talks have been met with a pretty rigid NHL format for further talks.

#5193 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

So the 8th if they still want a training camp? That's close.

If Bettman keeps his job after another full season lost, I question how these owners are successful businessmen.

They aren't. Most are mega-rich because investment is made much easier by having loads of money from your parents.

#5194 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,228 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

They aren't. Most are mega-rich because investment is made much easier by having loads of money from your parents.

My God, it all makes sense now. Mooooommmm...Daaaaaaaaaddd I wanna hockey team...pouts, rolls on the floor.

No wonder the NHL isn't happy until it gets what it wants. ;)

You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm tellin' you why...
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#5195 Brambojoe

Brambojoe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yea - you wonder don't you.

Perhaps the owners who are used to getting their way in the world including a trophy business (NHL franchise) build up resentment as NHL quality players (scarce resource) use their bargaining leverage to force the owners to *gasp* negotiate terms of contracts.

The lockout to me comes across as somewhat vindictive, the concessions demanded by the owners aren't necessary the owners have plenty of options for running their teams and managing their payroll. Nobody forces them to sign long term deals and fat contracts.

I'd say we have the wrong players in the league except it's ridiculous, perhaps it's fair to say we have the wrong owners?

Mark my words, the players will sign a deal and the owners will overspend and hose themselves throughout the term of the next CBA.

I say it again we have the wrong guys running the show and I'm not particularily pleased to see that they are going to be getting a bigger slice of the pie....hopefully enough damage has been done that the pie will be smaller. I'll do my part, I'll still watch but no more jerseys, no more centre ice....definitely thinking twice about every penny I send into those pockets....

#5196 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

TEAM Radio @TEAM1040 3m
RT: @HeleneStJames NHLPA vote passes overwhelmingly in favor of enabling Disclaimer of Interest.

Posted Image

#5197 SISU

SISU

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

I think everyone should unlike the NHL facebook page. I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but they currently have 2,566,700 "likes" and if that number got down to less than a million I'm sure they'd notice people are losing interest. For comparison, the NBA has 15 million likes and the NFL has 6 million.

#5198 6YPE

6YPE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I think everyone should unlike the NHL facebook page. I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but they currently have 2,566,700 "likes" and if that number got down to less than a million I'm sure they'd notice people are losing interest. For comparison, the NBA has 15 million likes and the NFL has 6 million.

Good idea, I unliked it,...

11s35sy.png

Sig by -Vintage Canuck-

#5199 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Can't wait to get a definitive yes or no from the NHL on whether the season is cancelled or not. This was a terrible movie to begin with, now we're half way through the re-run.

Subbancopy.jpg

#5200 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

If they're gonna cancel it, just do it. Then I know I'll get the rest of my season ticket money back.

#5201 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

NHLPA GIVEN AUTHORITY TO FILE DISCLAIMER OF INTEREST

Two players have confirmed to TSN that the NHL Players' Association's membership voted overwhelmingly on Friday to give the union the power to file a disclaimer of interest by Jan. 2.

The NHLPA's executive board now has the option of dissolving their union - which would allow players to file a class-action anti-trust lawsuit against the league.

The NHL responded to news of the vote last Friday by filing a class action complaint seeking a declaration confirming the legality of the lockout along with an unfair labour practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

While the 30-member executive board of the NHLPA now has the green light to disclaim interest, there are no guarantees that it will do so.

NBA players filed a disclaimer of interest while they were locked out last season, but the players and the league ended up agreeing to a new CBA 12 days later and the union was reformed.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#5202 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

If they're gonna cancel it, just do it. Then I know I'll get the rest of my season ticket money back.

Here, Here. At which point, I will also cancel my season tickets altogether. I may have not stopped caring to the point of not commenting on it on an internet forum, but enough that I won't support the NHL financially.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#5203 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

NHLPA GIVEN AUTHORITY TO FILE DISCLAIMER OF INTEREST

Guess those Mayans were hockey fans
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#5204 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would rather they cancel the whole season, save my ST money for next year instead of having to watch 48 games squished between Jan-April. I probably wouldn't be able to go to half of them with work, school, etc.

At this point, neither the owners nor the NHLPA deserve any money from the fans for the way they've handled this.

#5205 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Here, Here. At which point, I will also cancel my season tickets altogether. I may have not stopped caring to the point of not commenting on it on an internet forum, but enough that I won't support the NHL financially.

Thousands waiting in line happily will.

Subbancopy.jpg

#5206 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Lp
Sig too big.

#5207 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thousands waiting in line happily will.

You're one of these people who washes up badly, aren't you?

#5208 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

You're one of these people who washes up badly, aren't you?

Is it time for your medication.

Subbancopy.jpg

#5209 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Is it time for your medication.

Not until 9, but thanks for the reminder.

#5210 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,525 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

@RenLavoieRDS
No communication between the NHL and the NHLPA today.

307mg00.jpg

#5211 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Very curious to numerical results of the vote.

#5212 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Not until 9, but thanks for the reminder.

no worries
:)

Subbancopy.jpg

#5213 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Very curious to numerical results of the vote.

706-22 as per TSN

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#5214 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

706-22 as per TSN

Looked there earlier and it wasn't up

#5215 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

It's over. Lp
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#5216 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

It's over. Lp

#5217 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm betting 22 players who voted no are all Canucks except Luongo.

#5218 vancouverdepression

vancouverdepression

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

NHL = Notta Hockey League

#5219 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Honestly at this point its beyond beyond a joke.. they should have just canceled the season already if they wanna take it to the courts
Id be happy to hear one of these mornings a statement from the NHL saying they have wiped the season and be done with it.. no one that has been involved with the "negotiations" deserves to make any money at all and I for one and glad they are losing money and that fans are turning on this joke of a league slowly.

Posted Image

#5220 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

LOL the NHL is a frickin joke. I don't even want to read all the tecvhnical BS, long story short, asd I just said : THE NHL IS A FRICKIN' JOKE!!!
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.