The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Bill Daly statement on mediation

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly issued the following statement regarding the two days of meetings that concluded today with representatives of the NHL Players' Association under the auspices of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service:

"Today, we concluded two days of mediation with FMCS mediators and representatives of the NHL Players' Association. After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time. We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful."

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Parameters of proposed meeting -- i.e. who is allowed/invited to attend -- will be a point of discussion as NHLPA mulls the idea

Now they are going to fight who should be allowed to attend this player/owner meeting. Maybe they should just cross people off on each side survivor style. It's all just a bogus distraction to hide that the NHL blew mediation after just 2 days. They never intended to try, just wasting more time.

Who *should* be at the owners/players side of the table? I'll start with:

Lemieux / Iginla

That reeks of a setup. If you truly just want to talk to the players, talk to whomever shows up. They have to stop trying to control everything from every side at all times.

Plus, what is purpose? I'm confused about that. If the NHL hasn't shown any willingness to listen to the players before, why would they want to talk to them privately now?

This could get interesting! What if the players get to pick the owners attendance and the owners get to pick the players attendance. Hockey Fight!

@walsha word on street is that NHL wants to "hand pick" and "screen" which Players will be allowed to meet with its selected Owners group.

Wonder if Bettman would come as the Phoenix owner. *lol*

Seriously, I'd love to see the owners representative of the full economic spread of the teams. So my lineup would be owners from Toronto and NYR to represent the big money teams, owners from LA and Washington for the bubble teams, and owners from St. Louis and Columbus for the bottom teams.

As for a player, I'd love to see Bieska there. I don't know if he's been involved with the bargaining committee at all, but he has a degree in finance, seems intelligent and level headed but is not someone I can imagine getting pushed around or intimidated.

While looking up the teams at Forbes (from my tablet), it showed the following quote:

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd." - James Crook

Thought I'd share since it seemed appropriate.

Archived