The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Finally seeing the tv clip (I searched when this news storm started up earlier but it wasn't online yet) I have to say it doesn't match the way it was breathlessly reported. I'll gladly be proven wrong if I wake up to news of an agreement tomorrow but colour me unimpressed right now. Way too vague. My first thought was the usual NHL beat reporter called in sick so they stuck this guy in front of the camera and asked him to make something up on the spot.

edit - I also have to laugh at people suggesting this guy put his journalistic reputation on the line with this one. He covers basketball and football. I doubt he's worried about how his career will fare if he's hated on by the odd die-hard NHL fan.

There's no such thing as journalistic integrity nowadays unfortunately. Anyone can say anything without being held accountable, as long as they claim to have a "source".

This guy's just trying to get his name out there by making a bold prediction. The fact that no other reporter has caught wind of it makes me know that it's a lie.

Sorry guys, but I've learned from history to not believe these things. Don't get your hopes up until a report of an agreement is official. This is just some no name trying to sound credible. If his so called "source" is wrong, I doubt he cares. People will forget all about it anyways.

Actually - and this is just a very small hopeful actually - one thing I just noticed was that this was the lead segment from a football journalist on a Monday night. So yeah, maybe he's just trying to branch out and make a name for himself amongst the fans of a new sport, but, it does seem odd. The vast majority of people tuning in wouldn't be thinking of the Bruins.

Having stared at the transcript of what he said for too long now, I feel like the reasonable interpretation is that he got word of a meeting between Daly and S.Fehr drawing up a potential agreement for the player/owner meeting tomorrow.

Anyways, I think I'm just bored and starting to go crazy from lack of puck.

Daniel really puts his neck out here.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410919

The fans are really giving it to him pretty hard. Read the replies.

I have no idea who is telling the players they are so 'hard done' by. They can only think that way if they honestly believe they are 50% owners with the league and are ENTITLED to requirements with the people who actually own the thing.

I feel this was worth mentioning because even Daniel seems to think the players are 'giving up concessions' ..........from this point of view that they have RIGHTS over the league and thus have something to give up.

Fehr really has done a number on these guys heads. The average fans sees the players making PLENTY of money, and see franchises in continual states of near default. They cant GIVE AWAY the Coyotes franchise unless they relocate it. Owning an NHL team is no picnic.

And this is why a huge overwhelming number of fans are turning on the players as they do not see what they have to be so pissed off about in the first place. A 50 /50 deal is simply a fair deal for guys who dont even own any of the league.

I think the league is smart to seperate the players from the brainwashing. Bring them to the table and SHOW THEM the actual fiscal realities of what is going on.

Show them the deal they have on the table without Fehr there to tell em they need him to get them more. The owners have stated all along they will NOT move under any circumstances unless this new CBA is viable for all teams to become stable.

I have no idea why the players cant just take this deal and move on. Fire Fehr and get a hockey guy next time.

That's because the stated purpose from both sides of this meeting is negotiation.

According to Daly, "We want to find a way to get to a deal. Nothing else has worked. The commissioner felt that we might as well propose something different. We will see how they respond." (Source: http://espn.go.com/n...l-labor-dispute)

According to Fehr, "We hope that this meeting will be constructive and lead to a dialogue that will help us find a way to reach an agreement." (Source: http://www.guardian....rs-owners-talks)

A discussion between the 2 parties with the expressed purpose of finding a way to get a deal done is negotiation.

Nothing about the owners' negotiating style has been in the same postal code as "nuanced." In fact, I'm pretty sure they couldn't even find "nuanced" with a GPS.

Sorry, which part of that is nuanced?

Yes, that is the line that keeps getting repeated in multiple stories, but what proof is there that that's true? We've all heard the stories about how Jacobs shoots down anyone who tries to voice a different opinion. I find it hard to believe that the NHL, who carefully selected which owners were going to be present and has a long history of quieting dissenting opinions, would have chosen any who would dare speak out against the NHL's stated position, especially when it's being reported that Dolan wanted to be one of the owners present in hopes of facilitating a deal (and that Lundqvist specifically said he'd like to see Dolan involved (Source: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1211315)) but he was apparently turned down despite him having a history of dealing with sports labour disputes and owning the second most valuable franchise.

But what's said in stories aside, how can you call them "doves" when you said you think the entire purpose of the meeting is simply to prove that there are no owners with which players can negotiate, that it's just a "take our deal or we'll keep cancelling games until you do" situation? There's nothing dove-like in that. Or nuanced.

I saw that mentioned earlier but haven't heard any names. Although Landeskog left his team in Sweden for 'tax reasons'. And Ovechkin abruptly changed his tone just yesterday too - after months of saying he might decide to stay in Russia regardless, yesterday he gave an interview saying he misses the NHL and wants to return to Washington.

Boudrias, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree that attempting to send a message that your position is immoveable and therefore the other side will have to give even more (even though you've given nothing) is a form of negotiating, at least as the NHL seems to define it.

I have no idea who is telling the players they are so 'hard done' by. They can only think that way if they honestly believe they are 50% owners with the league and are ENTITLED to requirements with the people who actually own the thing.

I feel this was worth mentioning because even Daniel seems to think the players are 'giving up concessions' ..........from this point of view that they have RIGHTS over the league and thus have something to give up.

Fehr really has done a number on these guys heads. The average fans sees the players making PLENTY of money, and see franchises in continual states of near default. They cant GIVE AWAY the Coyotes franchise unless they relocate it. Owning an NHL team is no picnic.

And this is why a huge overwhelming number of fans are turning on the players as they do not see what they have to be so pissed off about in the first place. A 50 /50 deal is simply a fair deal for guys who dont even own any of the league.

I think the league is smart to seperate the players from the brainwashing. Bring them to the table and SHOW THEM the actual fiscal realities of what is going on.

Show them the deal they have on the table without Fehr there to tell em they need him to get them more. The owners have stated all along they will NOT move under any circumstances unless this new CBA is viable for all teams to become stable.

I have no idea why the players cant just take this deal and move on. Fire Fehr and get a hockey guy next time.

Tweets at TSN are saying the PA was told as many players as want can attend today's meeting. Apparently there are about 25 in NYC and about 10 are expected to attend. At least that allows the PA to decide what they think is the right number.

Defenceman Kevin Bieksa stated that the players don't want to give up on the season, but the players wonder what the owner's agenda really is.

"That's the one thing we've kind of been puzzled by in this whole negotiation," he said. "When do they want to settle and what do they want to settle for? Is it just a money issue or the contracting rights and what are the reasons for them? Owners doing it face-to-face [Tuesday] with players on their team and to look those guys in the eye, it should be good."

That's the journalist alright. I just question his delivery, he states a meeting occurred last night with 'significant progress' and then pans over to Lucic to get an optimistic response. It's like confirming there is no scientific proof of a 'god' and then supporting the point with an atheist.. it's not like Lucic sat in on the meetings nor did Lucic confirm the meetings happened in that brief segment. Nothing definitive from this little skit.

I will of course remain optimistic, and hope the other indicators of progress remain valid.

Boudrias, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree that attempting to send a message that your position is immoveable and therefore the other side will have to give even more (even though you've given nothing) is a form of negotiating, at least as the NHL seems to define it.

Archived