6226 replies to this topic

#5731 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,086 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

If they feel the NHL isn't negotiating seriously, they'll consider it. More likely though that they'll try and negotiate right up until the season is lost and then file.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#5732 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

The NHL and NHLPA will be giving statements to the media following tonight's meeting in New York. Watch it live on TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/li...759560&i=759560

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#5733 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Tune into SportsNet. They are on live with panel. On the ball.

#5734 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Can someone please explain how a cap of $65 mill vs $60 mill affects the bottom line for players or owners? Players will still get only 50% of HRR. If cap is higher the escrow deductions will be higher.

If the cap doesn't decrease more slowly, it penalizes teams that have done the work to be good teams because they operate near the cap. It's parity but it's artificial because it causes good players to flee good teams that have often scouted them and developed them simply because their contracts are up. It's a classic Bettman play, to increase parity by dumbing the game down. Good organizations get penalized and it screws with players' personal and professional lives because a team that they want to be loyal to can't offer them a decent contract so they have to up and leave. It's welfare for bad owners that deals in skilled players instead of currency.

#5735 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

The NHL and NHLPA will be giving statements to the media following tonight's meeting in New York. Watch it live on TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/li...759560&i=759560

No need, here's Don Fehr's:

DF: Good evening everyone, there's not much to say. The owners reviewed our latest proposal and ideas were exchanged today.

Q: Was there progress made in the talks tonight?

DF: I'm not going to characterize the discussions, it wouldn't be fair to the process.

Q: Don, with no agreement tonight, is the disclaimer of interest your next move?

DF: That's an internal matter and I am not going to discuss it.

Q: Is the latest offer from the NHL the best one?

DF: I've been out of the prediction business for a long time. We are going to keep working hard to get a deal done.

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 02 January 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Posted Image

#5736 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Lp

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#5737 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Happy Disclaimer!!!!!

:towel:

Subbancopy.jpg

#5738 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Dan Rosen@drosennhl

NHL and NHLPA are still going as far as all the media here knows. What this means for the potential PA disclaimer of interest is unknown.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#5739 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Frack this I'm going to the gym.

#5740 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Luckily I'm in Montreal, so either they sign a CBA or Disclaim, either way there'll prob be a riot.

#5741 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Dec 21st 2012 = January 2nd 2013

Subbancopy.jpg

#5742 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

So restless right now. Don't think I'll be getting much sleep before the semifinals start.

#5743 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

UPDATE: CBA talks put hold because both sides have agreed to watch "The Best of The Columbus Blue Jackets" as punishment for torturing fans

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#5744 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hearing that both sides are playing beer pong on the boardroom table to decide remaining issues.

Subbancopy.jpg

#5745 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,394 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hearing that both sides are playing beer pong on the boardroom table to decide remaining issues.

I wouldn't do that if I was the PA.

Bill Daly looks like he's awesome at beer pong.

Edited by theminister, 02 January 2013 - 11:28 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#5746 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

So my question is this:

If the NHLPA files its disclaimer of Interest...

does that free up the league to impose a CBA on itself and any employees that want to come to work?

I mean if the union disolves...there is no group to Collectively bargain with...and at that point can not the league merely reignite the season, tell every player with a contract under the former CBA they are welcome back at work and then simply fire the top 100 paid guys.

it would be a decade before that even went to court, meanwhile the other 600 players would get to work pretty fast and the 100 individuals could be bargained with one on one and see if they can fit under the new league Agreement.

SOmething like this is possible is it not?

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#5747 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,670 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

My other thought is that since they have already basically agreed to keep the cap at 70m this half season that is left and prorate it...why not agree to play out the season under the previous CBA thus buying time, half a year, to finish closing the gap on the new one?

Is this unreasonable for some reason I do not see? If the money is the same why not get it out of the way...now that teams know they can't blow money like a sailor in port for a three day shore leave and that there will be a 60m cap next year, with some kind of make whole provision...to me it would be good to get the half season going and maybe see some trades of salary going on.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#5748 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

@reporterchris: A major issue still to be resolved in NHL talks is the 2013-14 salary cap. League looking for $60M, NHLPA asking for $65M.

307mg00.jpg

#5749 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'd call it a win if the PA manage to meet in the middle on the salary cap. 63 mil is operable for 25 teams right now.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5750 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Are they still negotiating?? its like 2:20 AM there :o

Thats good news though, hopefully we hear the NHL is back tommorow morning :)

#5751 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

@RealKyper: Gary fighting 4 small #NHL markets to pay less. Wants big markets like #Canucks dismantling rosters despite #NHLPA not asking to cap escrow

307mg00.jpg

#5752 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Apparently PA has made a huge concession which IMO they would have had to do, other wise there would not be a season.

They are not asking for limit on Escrow anymore, which means the PA has abandoned it's attempt to de-couple from the 50% share of HRR.

Renaud Lavoie

45]
@RenLavoieRDSNHLPA decided to make an important concession. They don't ask for a cap on escrow anymore.

Edited by WHL rocks, 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#5753 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Frack this I'm going to the gym.

Bro do you even lif ... oh.

#5754 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

@RealKyper: Gary fighting 4 small #NHL markets to pay less. Wants big markets like #Canucks dismantling rosters despite #NHLPA not asking to cap escrow

No other real explanation for the insistence on a $60 million cap next season. It means literally nothing to the owners since even with a $70 million cap they get anything extra back in escrow.

It would really screw the players as well as the cap ceiling teams (eg. the bulk of the serious hockey fans on the planet).

Any UFA left right now or pending UFAs in July would be almost entirely screwed. With 10 teams not having the cash to fill their rosters even with minimum salary players under that cap, there would be no market for UFAs. There would also be almost no way to trade higher salary players because the team under the cap are there because they can't afford to spend cash. If you could unload a guy you would get no return for him.

I am so fed up that I am hopeful the union files a disclaimer and we lose the season which somehow results in the complete destruction of the NHL. A new and better league would rise up in its place led by the big market teams. The Canucks are perfectly fine in a WHA type of league were they don't have to travel to Tampa Bay or Columbus.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#5755 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Bro do you even lif ... oh.

Haven't been as serious as I used to but been trying to get back into better shape. Here's a thread I made last year when I was lifting a bit more. Hopefully I'm at this pace within a month or so. Going to add yoga this time, at least once per week.

http://forum.canucks...orkout +routine

#5756 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I am all for helping the small teams out with a lower cap, even if it means our team being dismantled. Parity = more exciting hockey. Besides, let's be honest here.. the Canucks aren't winning anything. We more or less stood still while other teams got better. We will still have more high end talent than most on the team. If anything, taking away from other teams might help us out more.

#5757 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

I am all for helping the small teams out with a lower cap, even if it means our team being dismantled. Parity = more exciting hockey. Besides, let's be honest here.. the Canucks aren't winning anything. We more or less stood still while other teams got better. We will still have more high end talent than most on the team. If anything, taking away from other teams might help us out more.

Me too, Only thing a $60 mill cap vs $65 mill cap does is create more parity. Players and owners will still get 50/50. I don't care if MG has to get rid of Ballard and Booth. Those players will help out another team more than they help VAN and it will add to my viewing pleasure.

I'm all for parity.

#5758 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

@realkyper quote = queue the Bettman conspiracy against the Canucks

#5759 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,004 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Me too, Only thing a $60 mill cap vs $65 mill cap does is create more parity. Players and owners will still get 50/50. I don't care if MG has to get rid of Ballard and Booth. Those players will help out another team more than they help VAN and it will add to my viewing pleasure.

I'm all for parity.

Except we'll have to get rid of more than just Booth and Ballard. That's only 8.5 mil and we'll have to re-sign Edler, and Burrows also gets his pay raise.

We're gonna have to dump almost a quarter of our players to be cap compliant, and we don't exactly have a bunch of NHL ready prospects.

This is Bettman's way of screwing up the top teams competitiveness so that the weaker teams can have a chance to make the playoffs. Plus if they add 4 more teams to the playoffs, Bettman can make sure loser markets like Florida, Phoenix, and Columbus can make the playoffs every year.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#5760 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

A

Posted Image

Frank Krulicki@krufrank

NHL has agreed to 2 amnesty buy-outs. NHLPA wants $65M capnext season and not asking for cap on escrow. I tell you - they are darn close

Frank Krulicki@krufrank

NHL also apparently agreed to NHLPA's request of 20% contract variance in light of NHLPA agreeing to 6 year max on contracts (7 for own UFA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.