Gary Bettman walks out of the room:

Gary: "We have a deal to announce"

Media: Applause and cheering.

Gary: "Owners Trade Ron Burkle and Bill Daly to the NHLPA."

Media: mostly silence and some nervous laughter

Gary: "The NHLPA trades Donald Fehr to the NHL"

Media: "April Fools Joke, 4 months early?"

Gary: "Decertify that b*tches!!!!!"

Gary proceeds to 'pimp walk' to a Bentley where Donald Fehr can clearly be seen sitting in the passenger seat.

or none of that happens and it's boring, either or.

Crosby, Penguins owners push to save NHL season

The Penguins are sending everyone over the boards to try to end the NHL lockout.

Mario Lemieux arrived in New York on Tuesday, a day in which progress between the owners and players was facilitated in large part by co-owner Ron Burkle on one side and team captain Sidney Crosby on the other. Lemieux and team CEO David Morehouse are expected to attend the Board of Governors meeting Wednesday, multiple sources said.

Burkle and Crosby were described by participants in the five-hour talks as voices of reason. Their shared point of view: The NHL should not risk another round of canceled games — they’re already canceled through Dec. 14 — and the league may not recover if a season is lost to a labor dispute for the second time in eight years, the sources said.

Talks between the NHL and its Players’ Association continued late into Tuesday.

The Penguins are a moderate in the labor war, but they will not break ranks at the Governors’ meeting, sources said. Rather, their contingent will try to establish what owners need to reach an agreement, the sources said.

Crosby also will not break ranks with the players’ union, but his objective over the past week has been to establish common ground among players who have lost trust in NHL ownership and management as a whole, the sources said.

Over the past few weeks, Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux have privately discussed plans to bridge the gap between players and owners. The sources said all three had grown frustrated with the lack of progress.

Crosby and Burkle flew to New York together Monday. Burkle lives in suburban Los Angeles. Crosby’s Los Angeles-based agent, Pat Brisson, also was on the flight, the sources said.

None of the Penguins’ management contingent was available for comment, but Crosby told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday morning, “Ron is a great owner. He wants everything to be first class, and he cares about everyone in the organization. He only wants what’s best for the team.”

The Penguins had no voice in previous labor meetings during the lockout, but the sources said Burkle requested to be involved early last week. His net worth is $3.5 billion, built on a California grocery empire, and he gained a reputation of helping strike deals with the unions he employed.

Among the other owners in the talks Tuesday was Tampa Bay’s Jeff Vinik, who has become a favorite of Burkle and Lemieux since Vinik purchased the Lightning in February 2010. Lemieux has discussed ways to end the lockout with Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, a fellow Hockey Hall of Famer, the sources said.

In all, six owners met with 18 players, including the Penguins’ union rep, Craig Adams. The meeting involved large group discussions and smaller sessions among teams — not dissimilar to an NHL general managers’ meeting.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and union special counsel Steve Fehr attended, but commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr were not present.

Four owners not previously involved in talks attend the meeting. The NHL invited an unlimited number of players.

The sources said Burkle and Crosby shared the belief that players needed to hear from new owners because of the narrative that a handful of hard-line owners — the Boston Bruins’ Jeremy Jacobs has gained the most publicity in this category — were hijacking the process.

Burkle, Lemieux and Crosby are aware they risk pushback from their respective sides for trying to establish trust, but they felt that risk was worth the reward, the sources said.

The divides remaining between the sides include the definition and split of revenue, guaranteeing current players’ contracts and contractual rights such as free agency and maximum term limits.

They usually have a late nighter on HNIC about once a month after the leaf game. They take turns between Calgary, Edmonton, and pretty much all of the other west coast teams. This is why I purchase NHL center ice when the season starts so I can watch all of the Canucks games.

You're also welcome to come by my place and watch lol. Don't really know any Canucks fans in T.O., and all of my friends are TML fans.

My dad made a suggestion that maybe this was bettmans plan. He's being pushed by hard asses like Jacobs and the old boys club so he cleverly slips Burkle and the others in with the players to get around the fact his hands are tied by the dickheads running the show.

Who knows, but if you think about it, the entire world is run by rich pricks with a some retarded puppet doing their dirty work

“Cautious optimism”

The electronic mouth and ears of the NHL lives on Twitter these days and in the early evening of Dec. 4, it started to send out optimistic noises about the end of the NHL lockout.

Without the presence of league commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA leader Donald Fehr, a group of players met with a group of owners in New York. They seemed to find some traction in ending the dispute.

“I think we’ve taken a step and maybe a significant step, although I think it’s too early to quantify it for sure,” said TSN’s Bob McKenzie late Tuesday evening. “I think for the first time both sides get the sense that the other side is really talking in a frame of mind where they want to make a deal.”

Both sides seem to be bending, giving more, McKenzie said.

Here is how the story unfolded on Twitter:

Daren Millard, Sportsnet broadcaster: While not an official bargaining session, i get the feeling this is turning into a big night. Side meetings simultanious to discussions.

Dave Molinari, writer Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Hope none of the NHL owners slip up and refer to the leader of the NHLPA contingent at today’s meeting as the bell cow.

Harrison Mooney, blogger, Puck Daddy: The players and owners have been at it for six hours! This is some tantric negotiating.

Ryan Rishaug, TSN: Just did a quick count of empty wrappers in my pocket.. I’ve eaten twenty seven hotel issue mints waiting for meetings to end. 5.5 hours

Chris Johnston, Canadian Press: The sides have broken for dinner. The meeting will resume afterwards.

George Malik, blogger Kukla’s Korner: Remember, folks, the Board of Governors meets tomorrow, and will probably endorse canceling the 12-13 season *soon.* Absent a breakthrough..

Richard Cloutier, HockeyBuzz blogger: Well that’s a good sign: both sides are going for diner. This means they haven’t eaten each other.

Allan Mitchell, Lowetide blogger: Dammit people: What is EKLUND saying?

Dan Rosen, NHL.com: Bottom line is there are a lot of moving parts to this and right now we don’t know much other than they are certainly in a break.

Ryan Lambert, Two Line Pass blogger: steven stamkos signs with a KHL team during dinner. vinnik seen screaming WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!!

Japers Rink blog: Dinner update: players likely considering the “make whole” wheat pasta; owners are eating… well, puppies.

Mooney: So wait, the owners met the players, then said, “maybe we’ll meet again, we’ll text you”? I’ve been on this date.

Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey: So nobody knows if owners, players will meet again. I knew I wasn’t going to lose betting against #optimism.

John Shannon, Sportsnet: Hearing that Ron Burkle has been voice of reason today. Obviously, with Crosby in room it creates a interesting dynamic.

Mitchell: By the time Jacobs figures out who owes what for their share of the Mcnuggets, it’ll be Thursday.

Derek Van Diest, Edmonton Sun: Like chances of two sides coming closer with Horcoff in the room. This is a guy who convinced Daryl Katz to give him $7-million a year.

Pierre LeBrun, ESPN: Told so far talks have been substantive but too early to tell which way it will go…

Aaron Ward, TSN: All indications are that they are going to meet again. If not tonight,then tomorrow.Positive feedback so far.

Larry Brooks, New York Post: Take with grain of salt but source reports “cautious optimism.”

LeBrun: also told that Pens owner Ron Burkle made his presence felt in the meeting so far today. I think the players are receptive to him…

Willis: Wow. Good lockout news on owner side, and now people like Ward and Brooks saying the same on the players side.

Tim Panaccio, CSNPhilly: healthy dose of skepticism out there b/c of what has transpired in the past during this lockout.

Sean McIndoe, blogger Down Goes Brown: JUST KISS EACH OTHER ALREADY! RT @JSportsnet: Have been told that its unsure if the Players and Owners will meet again tonight.

Chris Botta, New York Times: Text from player source: “You were wrong. Wasn’t a waste. Will know more by Thursday. Good meeting. I’m optimistic.”

Kevin Paul Dupont, Boston Globe: Getting some very positive vibes just now out of NHL’s Manhattan Project. A vy encouraging word relayed from owner’s side.

Japers Rink: I already miss the lockout, you guys.

McIndoe: “Wait, what do you mean ‘progress?’ This was supposed to be a PR stunt! A PR STUUUNNNT!!!!” – Gary Bettman, as he’s dragged away by goblins.

Adam Proteau, Hockey News: Heard from an NHLer with knowledge of CBA talks. “Won’t get excited till deal done but guys feel better (tonight) than in a while”, he said.

Mooney: Clearly, the horde of media in the hallway all decided to see if they could get the phrase “cautiously optimistic” trending on Twitter.

Nick Cotsonika, Yahoo.com: Not hearing any negatives, which is obviously a positive. Trying not to get ahead of myself, but cautiously optimistic real progress made.

Mooney: Are the players buying what the owners are selling or are they just curious? I guess you could say they’re “buy-curious”

David Pagnotta, The Fourth Period: All this positivity is great to hear, but I’m more interested in how it translates into tomorrow NHL Board of Governors meeting.

Jesse Spector, The Sporting News: Owners have returned from dinner. “We’re trying!” says one (couldn’t see whose mouth was moving) when asked if we’ll have a deal soon.

Bloge Salming, blogger: Nate Silver just offered his job to Steve Burton

Josh Rimmer, NHL HomeIce: Now it appears both Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr will be joining tonight’s meetings.

Proteau: *despondent trombone* RT @JoshRimerHockey Now it appears both Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr will be joining tonight’s meetings.

Cloutier: I think the only reason the players and owners have invited Fehr and Bettman into the meeting is to make them beg for their jobs

Renaud Lavoie, RDS: Sorry if I did not had the time to translate the last tweets. Bill Daly in a room with players right now. No Bettman and Fehr at this point.

FakeOilersGM: FYI, Daryl has not spoken to any of the owners participating in the meeting. He’s busy testing his new and improved Katzmobile.

Jesse Spector: NHL and NHLPA missing the Victoria’s Secret show, so you know it’s serious now.

Erik Erlendsson, Tampa Tribune: As reported by @RobRossi_Trib both Jeff Vinik and Steve Yzerman allied behind the scenes to try to bridge the gap

Daren Millard: As of 1044 et meetings continue. Can’t take that as anything but positive. Side sessions and full groups have enjoyed respectful dialogue.

McIndoe: I’m not much of a handyman, but I want to buy whatever brand of duct tape they’ve used to keep Jeremy Jacobs quiet for nine straight hours.

Malik: Optimism is a good thing. But remembering there are 22 Governors who have to approve any CBA proposal is the reality of the situation. People forget that the NHLPA’s December 9, 2004 proposal forms the backbone of the just-expired CBA. The sides got very “close” just prior to the cancelation of the 04-05 season. This is exciting and all, but any anti-Bettman insurrection is unlikely. And too late.

And Malik again: I rather desperately want to see NHL hockey played this year. I’m a Red Wings fan, first and foremost. I pay for tickets to cheer, like you.

Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun: Doug MacLean suggests if they can get a deal by Friday a 56-game season starting on Dec. 20th.

Steve Zipay, Newsday: Daly, in joint appearance with Fehr: “We will work hard to make a deal.”

Willis: Well, regardless of whether this spurs a lockout resolution or not, my dismissive attitude towards this meeting was clearly wrong.

Pagnotta: It’s clear both owners and players had some constructive talks, so any news of this nature is good considering how talks have gone prior

Malik: I would be more optimistic if these statements were made in September, October or November instead of December 5th.

Botta: Most promising NHL sign: while talks were productive and there’s reason for optimism, no $ details were leaked today.

Helene Elliott, L.A. Times: Same group of owners/players expected to meet Wednesday morning before Board of Govs meeting, likely afterward as well.

Adam Jahns, Chicago Sun-Times: As a wise man Lloyd Christmas once said, “so you’re telling me there’s a chance !” #hockey

LeBrun: Sources on both sides cautious but say there was traction today… Still a fragile situation but it’s clear today was a good day

Spector: Media member who left behind an iPhone charger: I have it.

Lavoie: I had the chance to say “salut” to Mario Lemieux tonight. He did look happy about what happen Tuesday. Just a smile says a lot sometime.

Players to make presentation to owners after BOG meeting:

Today’s talks between owners and players, originally planned for this morning prior to the NHL Board of Governors meeting, have been postponed until after the BOG gathering.

This shouldn’t be taken as a bad sign, according to Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika. The players still expect to have “something” to present the owners; they just didn’t want to rush into anything and make a mistake.

There’s newfound, though still cautious, optimism that the lockout is close to an end. Yesterday the two sides (minus NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA chief Donald Fehr) held a marathon negotiating session, after which union special counsel Steve Fehr said, “It might be the best day we’ve had.”

It was originally planned that Bettman would hold a press conference after today’s BOG meeting, at around 1 p.m. ET. Just don’t be surprised if that’s postponed.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/05/players-to-make-presentation-to-owners-after-bog-meeting/#respond

These were awesome tweets:

Harrison Mooney, blogger, Puck Daddy: The players and owners have been at it for six hours! This is some tantric negotiating.

Allan Mitchell, Lowetide blogger: Dammit people: What is EKLUND saying?

Japers Rink blog: Dinner update: players likely considering the “make whole” wheat pasta; owners are eating… well, puppies.

Derek Van Diest, Edmonton Sun: Like chances of two sides coming closer with Horcoff in the room. This is a guy who convinced Daryl Katz to give him $7-million a year.

Japers Rink: I already miss the lockout, you guys.

McIndoe: “Wait, what do you mean ‘progress?’ This was supposed to be a PR stunt! A PR STUUUNNNT!!!!” – Gary Bettman, as he’s dragged away by goblins.

Josh Rimmer, NHL HomeIce: Now it appears both Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr will be joining tonight’s meetings.

Proteau: *despondent trombone* RT @JoshRimerHockey Now it appears both Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr will be joining tonight’s meetings.

Adam Jahns, Chicago Sun-Times: As a wise man Lloyd Christmas once said, “so you’re telling me there’s a chance !” #hockey

Archived