The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Bettman fights to keep these weak market teams like Phoenix. Rich teams are sick of dumping money into these teams. The players know that if they and the owners both help with revenue sharing. Teams like Phoenix might not be for sale every 6 months. Bettman is saying it's because players make to much money so they should be on the hook for these weak teams, not the owners. The owners aren't getting what they want, neither are the players and the fans. He needs "dead in the water" teams. He has no leverage without them. Bettman build a system that he can control and manipulate. People are actually stupid enough to pay him to do it to.

NHL, NHLPA set to resume CBA negotiations on Tuesday:

The scene is shifting to New York City.

After collective bargaining agreement talks between the NHL and the players association ended with little or no progress last week in Toronto, the two sides are again set to meet on Tuesday, and, according to TSN Insider Darren Dreger, the league is likely to present another offer.

The last time the two sides met was Wednesday and Thursday, and the meetings on both days were cut short.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly, along with NHLPA head Donald Fehr and his brother Steve Fehr, the union's No. 2 man, are expected to discuss core economic issues.

Both sides have blocked off the rest of the week for negotiations.

The NHL has set a Sept. 15 deadline to have a new CBA. If no agreement is reached, they have said they will lock out the players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403936

NHL, NHLPA set to resume CBA negotiations on Tuesday:

The scene is shifting to New York City.

After collective bargaining agreement talks between the NHL and the players association ended with little or no progress last week in Toronto, the two sides are again set to meet on Tuesday, and, according to TSN Insider Darren Dreger, the league is likely to present another offer.

The last time the two sides met was Wednesday and Thursday, and the meetings on both days were cut short.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly, along with NHLPA head Donald Fehr and his brother Steve Fehr, the union's No. 2 man, are expected to discuss core economic issues.

Both sides have blocked off the rest of the week for negotiations.

The NHL has set a Sept. 15 deadline to have a new CBA. If no agreement is reached, they have said they will lock out the players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403936

Lol, I read that hours ago. I should do your thing and post whatever I read. I don't mean that as a bad thing, most of what you contribute brings discussion.

It's about time these two sides decided to commit themselves. Watching this unravel seems more like pandering from the NHLPA to convince fans and players that the season can start on time.

Well of course the players love the current deal so they would play under it for years while they 'negotiate' like they have during the last season. Why don't the players play under the offer of the NHL, on a temporary basis, while the negotiations go on? Now that would show that they really want to play-- won't happen! Fehr is just as much a rat as Bettman.

I fail to see what is dumb about what I said. Maybe that is because I am dumb?? I don't know. But i know something, to suggest that the players are showing good faith by proposing to play under the old CBA while negotiating is dumb. The old CBA is why we have a conflict. So extending it is NOT an option and suggesting that is just making things worse, which was exactly what Fehr wanted. And his first counter offer made it worse again- he offered to 'only' increase the cap by 2% while the league asked for a 24% reduction. At least he should have gone for zero increase.

I fail to see what is dumb about what I said. Maybe that is because I am dumb?? I don't know. But i know something, to suggest that the players are showing good faith by proposing to play under the old CBA while negotiating is dumb. The old CBA is why we have a conflict. So extending it is NOT an option and suggesting that is just making things worse, which was exactly what Fehr wanted. And his first counter offer made it worse again- he offered to 'only' increase the cap by 2% while the league asked for a 24% reduction. At least he should have gone for zero increase.

Evgeni Malkin To Play In KHL During Potential NHL Lockout:

Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin has agreed to a lockout deal with the Metallurg Magnitogorsk of Russia's Kontinental Hockey League, according to Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period. Malkin played with the club from 2003-2006 prior to joining the Pittsburgh Penguins in the NHL for the 2006-2007 regular season.

During his three years with Metallurg, Malkin registered 36 goals and 55 assists for a total of 91 points in 132 games played. Largely considered the team's best player, the club filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL and the Penguins when he left to join Pittsburgh in 2006. The charge was ultimately dismissed by the United States District Court in the southern district of New York.

With the threat of labor uncertainty hanging over the 2012-13 NHL season, players have begun discussing alternative plans if the NHL owners and player's association can not come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement by the Sept. 15 deadline.

According to league commissioner Gary Bettman, the league will lockout the players if a new deal is not in place.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/8/27/3271959/evgeni-malkin-nhl-lockout-2012-khl-metallurg-pittsburgh-penguins

Archived