The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I haven't been following the CBA negotiations at all, but this jumped out at me in the NHL's latest proposal which would put the salary cap at $58 million.

16 of the league's teams are currently above $58 million. The rest are awfully close.

confused-29.gif

I haven't been following the CBA negotiations at all, but this jumped out at me in the NHL's latest proposal which would put the salary cap at $58 million.

16 of the league's teams are currently above $58 million. The rest are awfully close.

confused-29.gif

The owners are stupid because they devised a salary cap that was not 100% loophole free- well i suppose you could say that in that sense they were stupid or you can turn it around and say that some GMs were just smarter than the owners. It's nice to know that there are people like you around that would have been able to devise a CBA that no GM would ever be able to get around. I suppose the rest of the world will have to settle for being stupid. The fact is, it only takes one smart GM, then the majority of the others have no choice but to follow.

And this is where you do not understand my point.

Owners and GMs are always on the same side. The GM is a representative of the owner on the management side and any decision a GM makes the owner has ultimate authority over.

My point is simply this (I dont think I was clear enough before), the owners fought so hard for this cap to reduce player salaries yet through there representatives (the GM's) they dismantled the system all together by increasing player salaries substantially from 04 05 and throwing albatross contracts at players through these "loop holes".

Does that make sense now?

So yeah the owners are stupid.

The owners are stupid because they devised a salary cap that was not 100% loophole free- well i suppose you could say that in that sense they were stupid or you can turn it around and say that some GMs were just smarter than the owners. It's nice to know that there are people like you around that would have been able to devise a CBA that no GM would ever be able to get around. I suppose the rest of the world will have to settle for being stupid. The fact is, it only takes one smart GM, then the majority of the others have no choice but to follow.

Archived