#61 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Bettman sucks period!! Nuff said.

Edited by HaggisOBrien, 09 August 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#62 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Too bad the NFL wasn't more spaced out...at least Sundays will be booked till January

NFL on Sunday, Monday, some Thursdays and the occasional Saturday in the playoffs. NCAA-F every Saturday along with EPL all weekend... I wouldn't miss the NHL that much. If it could kill a couple of the weaker franchises and move a couple up north then I say 'bring on the lockout'.

#63 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

There will be no season this year. I'll eat my jersey if there is.
Posted Image

#64 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I understand the owners of losing franchises are in a bind, and something does need to be done for those markets to stay intact.

Why bother? why is the NHL trying to keep these in the negative teams going?

A contraction IMO would be even better than relocation.

since the league started its expansion with the Sharks, 2 profitable teams out of 9, Ottawa and Minny.

The rest are garbage!!

Can you imagine how healthy this league would be with 21 teams again? If we never expanded!! Instead of expansion, move the weak teams out of the 21 to Ottawa, Minny and Colorado!

For how unpopular hockey is in the USA we have way to many teams!

Let hockey grow in the places it's roots like the soil!
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#65 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Its guys like Bettman and Stern that give Jews a bad rep. sad but true....

#66 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

My goodness the ignorance on this board is staggering - although this should be of absolutely no surprise unfortunately.

First of all, Bettman is simply a puppet figure for the owners. He doesn't make a negotiating move or a public statement unless he has a mandate from the majority of the owners. People out there blaming Bettman for ruining this or destroying that should realize that all along it has been the owners telling Bettman what to do. Any hate for Bettman is completely misdirected and should be sent towards the owners - Bettman is nothing and doesn't even schedule a meeting with the NHLPA without the consent of the owners.

Second, greed is a two-sided evil in this case. Neither the owners nor the NHLPA are innocent in the greed department. To blame either side and let the other off the hook is to be completely ignorant of the process or the issues. This is a negotiations. Anyone thinking that one side will simply give their final offer right off the bat is truly naive and has no business commenting on the proceedings, they'll just sound foolish.

Last, if the NHL season does get postponed, cancelled or delayed, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. There is so much hockey out there to follow at various levels I don't have the time to get into it to the point I would like to - this would give me the opportunity to appreciate what makes the NHL even exist - GRASSROOTS Canadian hockey!

#67 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

My goodness the ignorance on this board is staggering - although this should be of absolutely no surprise unfortunately.

First of all, Bettman is simply a puppet figure for the owners. He doesn't make a negotiating move or a public statement unless he has a mandate from the majority of the owners. People out there blaming Bettman for ruining this or destroying that should realize that all along it has been the owners telling Bettman what to do. Any hate for Bettman is completely misdirected and should be sent towards the owners - Bettman is nothing and doesn't even schedule a meeting with the NHLPA without the consent of the owners.

Second, greed is a two-sided evil in this case. Neither the owners nor the NHLPA are innocent in the greed department. To blame either side and let the other off the hook is to be completely ignorant of the process or the issues. This is a negotiations. Anyone thinking that one side will simply give their final offer right off the bat is truly naive and has no business commenting on the proceedings, they'll just sound foolish.

Last, if the NHL season does get postponed, cancelled or delayed, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. There is so much hockey out there to follow at various levels I don't have the time to get into it to the point I would like to - this would give me the opportunity to appreciate what makes the NHL even exist - GRASSROOTS Canadian hockey!

I think your points are all bang on except for saying that the people posting here are ignorant. I see it more as they are emotionally invested in this sport rather than ignorant.

There are really three sides to all of this - The owners, the players and the fans. The owners and players both will be paid ridiculous sums of money because of the third group which is the fans and the emotional attachment they have to hockey, when all is said and done.

With a strike or a lockout the only real losers are the fans, the ones who pay for everything. As a fan I do enjoy other levels of hockey but in reality nothing imo compares to the elite level of the NHL. I for one would be crushed to see another year of no NHL hockey but I remain optimistic as both sides do have a lot to lose if that is what happens in the end.
Posted Image

#68 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Sounds like a bargaining technique to me. Oh well.

Solvency for every team should be a priority. There are two ways to solve this financial problem. Remove the cap floor, and then stop the transfer payments that teams like the Canucks are paying to the league to subsidize teams in markets that have no reason being in business. This artificial floor seems to cause teams to sign UFAs to insane contract amounts just to get to the floor, thus inflating the market's overall value. If teams are forced to operate within their means, the financial health of the league can be resolved. Until then, fans in Vancouver are going to sell the arena out every night for the second highest ticket price in the league just to send that profit away.

#69 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Don't kid yourself. The owners are the ones that made this decision. Bettman is just the man delivering the message.

One needs to answer the question "Who hired and pays Bettman's salary?"

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#70 juwanski

juwanski

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

One needs to answer the question "Who hired and pays Bettman's salary?"

The problem with this is that most NHL teams are not as profitible as ours so it will never favor teams such as NY Toronto Montreal Vancouver

#71 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,372 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

For all the hate on Bettman, how about equal hate on the GM's and players that keep signing these ridiculous contracts. The Players Union should take just as much of the blame here.

#72 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

I hate you Bettman!

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#73 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I don't know why people are raging at Bettman for this. He's just stating the obvious. They sent in a offer, and they're waiting for a counter offer. Hurry players, we don't have all day- gives us something.

#74 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

For all the hate on Bettman, how about equal hate on the GM's and players that keep signing these ridiculous contracts. The Players Union should take just as much of the blame here.

Bettman might be a figurehead at first glance, however his job as I see it is more to let the owners know what he has to offer and ways to "fix" things. Owners may have the power over him to say yes or no to his ideas, but in the end I think it's his word and the owners accepting it.

On the second part I agree with you considerably. If not for the owners there is no money to start the game. Without the players there is no way to showcase the game. Without the fans there is no way make the money to keep going. The former two sides are to blame for the problems while the latter get raped.
Posted Image

#75 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,715 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

He is bluffing. To much money and popularity at stake

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#76 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

Frustrating. I think I will have to 'boo' Gary when he's handing the Cup to Hank.

#77 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Wait so that means that the CHL will play for the Stanley Cup next season if there is a lockout? Since in 2006 they said the cup can be win by the highest level of hockey in CANADA?

Edited by mbal23, 09 August 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#78 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

i know what to do!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#79 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yay... bargaining tactics that include the media...
Lets put our whole fanbase through hell for bit...

Geez.... can't you just operate behind closed doors and get this crap dealt with without causing such stress.... children act better at times working things out with each other...

Plain and simple... pisses me off...
Perhaps if I drink enough beer, I'll turn into a soccer fan...

#80 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

You my friend need to stop smoking crack.

A LOCKOUT - is the owners locking out the players from playing.

If the players are choosing not to play it's called - A STRIKE

Players cannot trigger a lockout and Bettman knows very well that his first propsal would never fly with the NHLPA. Imagine if Bettman gave a proposal that the NHLPA signed off on immediately, he would be fired so fast his head would spin.

Yes the players could stop a lockout by signing on the dotted line but there is no way in hell they were ever going to agree to the owners first propsal.

I am not team Fehr by any means and I personally am on the side of the owners for the most part as the players only have to play and make lots of money for doing so but the owners have to take care of everything else.

No smoking crack here. The players will not go on strike. And the players will decide if the owners call a lock-out. And the fact that they have not even submitted a counter offer yet tells you what? Yes, that the players want a lock-out. They might be overestimating their power or not, time will tell, but they act like they have the hammer now.

#81 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

He is bluffing. To much money and popularity at stake

Yes, and he was bluffing in 2004! Of course the lock out lead to record revenues for the lreague since then so no wonder he is god to the owners.

#82 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

Lockouts/strikes in these leagues screw us fans and are a big middle finger to us more than anyone else.

If the league wants to impose another lockout, three strikes.. you're out.. screw both parties and goodbye NHL. I'll stick to watching international competitions and local hockey. Not gonna watch a league that shats all over it's fans like this.

Hoping no lockout but I don't really care either way, it's not my decision in the end as to what they do.. I can easily find something else to replace the time though.

#83 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

No smoking crack here. The players will not go on strike. And the players will decide if the owners call a lock-out. And the fact that they have not even submitted a counter offer yet tells you what? Yes, that the players want a lock-out. They might be overestimating their power or not, time will tell, but they act like they have the hammer now.

Yes all the players would love to live on esgrow for the next season when they are used to huge paychecks coming in each month. Give your head a shake!
Posted Image

#84 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

If what I heard was right, players are at 57% right now. Owners/league wants to bring it down to 43%. Every other league is currently 50/50, but the players won't even wanna drop the 7% to get to 50/50, let alone 43%.

Given the state of some of the franchises, that 7-14% would help the league a lot, and bring more life to some of the dying places. Either way, the way it stands, this time anyway the players are being greedy sounding.

#85 lawrry

lawrry

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

I think God is sending me a message -> go get a Vancouver Giants season ticket package so I can watch exciting hockey with my children without owing $10000 a year.
The Good is the ENEMY of the Best!

#86 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Meh.

If there ends up being a lockout then maybe the officals will take the time to read the rule book during their time off.

Post of the year goes to you sir!

#87 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

I am Canadian and I LOVE hockey, but if all these babies(on both sides of the fight) lockout again, I'll probably never watch the NHL again. Would rekindle my interest in junior hockey again.

If the KHL and SEL are smart and the NHL locksout, they should try to televise some games over here, create some healthy competition.

#88 StenMan.EXE

StenMan.EXE

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

I must be the only one who's seeing the Owner's side of things.

Shea Weber, Parise getting 26M in 2 years, crappy players getting superstar money.
Look at our team, we look dwarfed comparing to other team's payment structures.

Sedin's make 6.1 each!!! They are top 5 in the league, Parise is getting paid 14+ this year!!
I don't know if 46% is right, but 50% sounds about right.

I understand what you mean about the owner's POV, but you also have to think about this as well. The owners are the ones who approve and pay out these huge contracts and have their GM's offer them and everything. Owners should've learned from the whole NYI/Rick DiPietro huge contract fiasco, but instead, they did the total opposite. Owners should have a right to step in and intervene when a GM offers a player, on the team or not, an insanely large contract of money.

#89 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yes all the players would love to live on esgrow for the next season when they are used to huge paychecks coming in each month. Give your head a shake!

Yes the players would prefer to play under the old CBA. And yes the players will push the owners to lock them out because they will refuse to sign on for what the owners are offering. It is very simple. It is the players' decision to be locked out. It is NOT their first choice of course, but it is their decision. Accept the NHL offer or anything close to it and there is no lock out. Refuse and you are locked out. What is so hard to understand here? (and the escrow has nothing to do with this whatsoever)

#90 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Bettman is NO puppet. Saying that is ignorant. He is not the boss but he certainly is in charge of the negotiation strategy. He got the agreement of the owners as to what is the goal in terms of the new CBA but how to get there is his decision. And he is a master negotiator- just ask Bib Goodenow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.