The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

It's a good thing there is a union like the NHLPA or athletes everywhere would be making a reasonable salary. "Player Rights" doesn't mean anything anymore. Maybe when Gordie Howe played hockey and the owners tried to take advantage of the players but now? Unions destroy business, The players don't want roll backs because I'm sure most of them are living beyond their means even with their millions in the bank. Then Bettman doesn't want to use the old CBA to keep the 12/13 season alive because then it gives the players some negotiating advantage. All I know is that the longer this drags out the more Ron MacLean at Movie Night in Canada we're gonna get. That right there is a sad fact in itself.

Link The owners are hardly squeaky clean. No one side is to blame, but both are if they can't reach a deal.

In what world do your employees make millions of dollars? The best comparison would be to executive's of major companies making huge money - but guess what, they also make money from stocks and similar components of their pay versus just a dollar value. Why do they make so much and get options at stocks and other incentives? Because very few people in the world can do what they do and do it well.

This isn't a normal job. It's a major sports league and most have significant revenues going to the players. Just because they make lots of money doesn't discount how good they are at what they do and they should sell themselves short as a result.

Anyone consider protesting this lockout if it in fact takes place?

I live in London, ON but is there anyone out there in Vancouver that would want to organize and implement a civil, calm "expression of opinion"?

Ideas: Signs that state your wage bracket. For instance (as not to get too personal) Minimum wage full time (would be around $17,000) to a a certain tax bracket like $68,000

So you hold up a sign that says $17,000-$68,000 - Why can't you take $500,000?

Something to the effect of: I make less, work hard, I ask for less. Bring back the NHL for the truly disenfranchised.

Another idea would be: Most people work 30+ years. $500,000/2 = $250,000 per year plus benefits.

Another idea: The real men are in the minors.

Another idea: What business is sustainable paying its employees over 50% of revenue? Do the research.

Another idea: Garry Bettman: 7.2 Million reasons to protest.

Finally: GREED. IT'S WHY I MAKE LESS THAN YOU. Bring back the NHL 2012.

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm slightly on the owners side. I say slightly because having an immediate rollback of 10% seems like asking to much.

I would offer a gradual rollback going from 57% to 54% first year. Then to 52%, 50% and 49% by fourth year. If revenues continue to grow, the players won't really be losing that much anyways, it'll just remain status quo for a few years while things correct themselves. This has to be a gradual fix mostly because the owners should take some of the blame for the mess they helped create.

Heres a question for everyone to wrap their heads around. The New Jersey Devils are as close as close gets to bankruptcy right now, yet they made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and sold out every game. Jersey and other merchandise sales skyrocketed during their post season run, yet despite all this they as an organization are losing money. Hmmmm, I wonder if it has to do with paying guys like Kovalchuk upwards of 10 million a year?

Neither side is 100% "right". All this "us or them" is ridiculous. BOTH sides need to make concessions.

Owners:

-Need to accept more revenue sharing to "poor" teams for the health of the league and not rely entirely on the players (reducing their share) to better fund poor teams.

-Need to accept a more gradual player percentage reduction and something ending up a LOT closer to 50%.

Players:

-Need to accept a gradual reduction in profit share (to ensure league health and hence more jobs for their "brothers").

-Need to except contract term limits (to save the owners from themselves sadly).

I say go for an 8 year deal with a 1% reduction in revenue every year. You start at the current 57% going to 56% and end up at 49% in the final year of the agreement (where it should stay IMO). With rising league revenues this should have little to no overall effect on player salaries.

Owner can increase profit sharing at say half the rate. They give 1% more every other year which mean rich teams get more profit and poor teams get more help gradually.

Allow teams the option to calculate cap hits of players currently under contract with either the appropriate % reduction if they're a cap limit team or by the original values if they're a cap basement team.

Locking out the league in order to divy up record profits = idiocy!

Get your schmutz together!

The fans will be back, but with every silly little thing this league does it makes ITSELF look more and more ridiculous.

Yes, we will be back, but watching millionaires and billionaires fighting over billions of dollars is making us all sick, while the rest of us battle the poor economy, ridiculous politicians, and all the rest.

Hockey is our bliss. You know, where we go to escape it all. Please don't remind us that it's all about the money, just like everything else.

We understand there is a need to FIX the business. Great! Get in a room and get it done, get out of the media and get on with it. Don't force us to watch this greedymongering dog and pony show.

It's disheartening and, frankly, disgusting.

Fair is fair. Find the common ground. Stop posturing.

Bettman...you little weasel, don't say that the last thing you want is a lockout. You are the one that set the date for it. The players said they could continue to play while a new CBA is worked on.

Freakin' blech! Losers!

Neither side is 100% "right". All this "us or them" is ridiculous. BOTH sides need to make concessions.

Owners:

-Need to accept more revenue sharing to "poor" teams for the health of the league and not rely entirely on the players (reducing their share) to better fund poor teams.

-Need to accept a more gradual player percentage reduction and something ending up a LOT closer to 50%.

Players:

-Need to accept a gradual reduction in profit share (to ensure league health and hence more jobs for their "brothers").

-Need to except contract term limits (to save the owners from themselves sadly).

I say go for an 8 year deal with a 1% reduction in revenue every year. You start at the current 57% going to 56% and end up at 49% in the final year of the agreement (where it should stay IMO). With rising league revenues this should have little to no overall effect on player salaries.

Owner can increase profit sharing at say half the rate. They give 1% more every other year which mean rich teams get more profit and poor teams get more help gradually.

Allow teams the option to calculate cap hits of players currently under contract with either the appropriate % reduction if they're a cap limit team or by the original values if they're a cap basement team.

How many owners are claiming their team loses money, all the while the company that they own makes millions for renting the arena to the team? Does advertising revenue count as earnings for the team? What about broadcasting rights? Concession sales?

AN accountant can do amazing things with numbers.

I have a few thou in a bank but an accountant can make me look broke by talking about "upcoming unfunded liabilities"

Which can mean I need a new roof but while I have the money to pay for it, since i have not tasked my savings to pay for the roof the roof is unfunded.

lies,damm lies and statistics.

Every lockout I see it brought up over and over how the owners(GM's) are hypocritical and dumb because they sign these big contracts and then during CBA negotiations they try to get themselves out of the hole they dug signing those big contracts. What I want to know is if the owners are being dumb and creating their own headaches how are they supposed to make their team competitive and/or exciting(which keeps the local fanbase interested and coming to the games) without signing big contracts. Keeping in mind that they aren't allowed collusion with other teams and the fact they are also competing with the KHL.

So please tell me the easy way to keep and attract high end talent without paying big money?

Archived