6226 replies to this topic

#1201 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Does anyone know if bonuses get paid regardless of lockout? If not, then Weber's gigantic 26 million in 13 months gets nullified. I call that karma.

Yes, Signing Bonuses get paid. Weber will get $13 million this season and $13 million next July even if there is no hockey for 2 full seasons.

On the Canucks Bieksa gets $3.5 million, Garrison get $3 million, Hamhuis get $2 mill and Schneider gets $500k this year.

If a player is injured he gets his salary. Kesler is still getting paid because of this.

#1202 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Damn...... why wont those clowns get it together?? This isn't fair to the fans.
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#1203 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

No mention of your hourly paid staff at the arena who are the hardest hit by this? Aren't you the General Manager of the entire organization?

Excellent leadership there, Mike.

In fairness, MG is speaking to the customers of the Canucks in this media release. Speaking about his employees is not necessary.

I'm sure the team has updated the employees by issuing an in house memo.

#1204 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I wonder how many team's office staff are starting to think about joining a union, and negotiating a no lay- off due to work stoppage by players or owners clause.?

#1205 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Another thing I'm curious about is the lack of any response by the federal government.
Seems in cases of strikes by folks the government steps in and orders folk back to work, but in the case of this multi-billion dollar industry's lockout they have said sfa.

#1206 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

In fairness, MG is speaking to the customers of the Canucks in this media release. Speaking about his employees is not necessary.

I'm sure the team has updated the employees by issuing an in house memo.

It is a press release covering certain topics that the organization wants to highlight; it's charitable work, the players, their commitment to the game, etc. Why not mention their other employees, as well as the players, affected by this situation? Because they don't want that talked about as it puts an even worse reflection on the cancellation.

What makes you so sure they have issued this in house memo?

Saying what? Sit back and hold tight, we'll let you know when you can earn money again? There is no escrow for these people and no strike pay. They get the shaft and have no say in the matter as it is not a reflection on their performance or of the profitability of the company.

You'd think he would want to show public concern for the people affected by this stoppage the most, his staff.

Edited by theminister, 04 October 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1207 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

It is a press release covering certain topics that the organization wants to highlight; it's charitable work, the players, their commitment to the game, etc. Why not mention their other employees, as well as the players, affected by this situation? Because they don't want that talked about as it puts an even worse reflection on the cancellation.

Saying what? Sit back and hold tight, we'll let you know when you can earn money again? There is no escrow for these people and no strike pay. They get the shaft and have no say in the matter as it is not a reflection on their performance or of the profitability of the company.

You'd think he would want to show public concern for the people affected by this stoppage the most, his staff.

As you can see the release is titled " Dear Canucks Fans" or on can say Dear Canucks Customers. Not Dear Canucks Employees.

Dear Canucks Fans, 

Today, the National Hockey League announced the cancellation of the 2012.13 regular season schedule through October 24th. We understand the disappointment this news causes all of us who share a passion for hockey; however, we’re hopeful that a resolution will bring the season underway as soon as possible. 

We understand the concerns of our passionate and loyal fans, especially at this time. Our commitment to deliver exceptional experiences and reciprocate your unwavering support is stronger than ever. 

Giving back to our community is also of the greatest importance to us. Recently we had the opportunity to participate in a number of community programs including our annual Jake Milford Charity Golf Tournament, the Raise-a-Reader campaign and a rejuvenation project at Kensington Park Arena. On October 11th, our staff will volunteer with a number of local charities continuing an annual tradition called Live-to-Give Day. We will continue to focus the efforts and talent of our entire staff on supporting the values we hold dear: grassroots hockey, children’s health and wellness, literacy and the ongoing initiatives and outreach that help provide opportunities and assistance in the community in which we live. 

We truly appreciate your patience and loyalty and we look forward to playing in front of you at Rogers Arena once again.
Sincerely,
Mike Gillis

This is a conversation with the customers. MG being the President of the business also speaks for the employees who work there. He is representing the employees and he does speak of them when he says "our entire staff".

While staying at a Hotel you may see the following sign in the Lobby.

Dear Guests,
We are upgrading our facilities to ensure your future stay to be more pleasant. Our entire staff is working diligently to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We have limited Hotel improvement work to the hours between 12pm and 4pm. We apologize for any inconvenience etc etc etc...

I don't think it would be necessary to add

Due to the Top 2 floors being shut down for renovations many of our staff members have not had full time employment for the past week. We are sorry to the maids, bell boys and the front desk staff. Their financial situation worsening due to renovations of their workplace is regrettable. We want our customers to know we feel really sorry that our employees are not working full time.

Edit. In the memo to his employees the company would not say "we'll let you know when you can earn money again". The laid off employees are free to apply and receive UI. They are also free to earn money by exploring other opportunities. They are not required to "sit back and do nothing".

Edited by WHL rocks, 04 October 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#1208 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

The funny thing about this whole thing is everyone knows what is going to happen in the end and that's the players will crack and give in to the league. I side with the players on a lot of the issues but the bottom line is the owners don't need the NHL to make money, infact many of them make more money without running their teams. The players are just going to end up losing more if they wait it out, even if they manage to get a slightly better deal from the owners it won't make up for the money they lose if they are locked out for any significant amount of time.

Edited by CrazyAL, 04 October 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#1209 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

As you can see the release is titled " Dear Canucks Fans" or on can say Dear Canucks Customers. Not Dear Canucks Employees.

This is a conversation with the customers. MG being the President of the business also speaks for the employees who work there. He is representing the employees and he does speak of them when he says "our entire staff".

While staying at a Hotel you may see the following sign in the Lobby.

Dear Guests,
We are upgrading our facilities to ensure your future stay to be more pleasant. Our entire staff is working diligently to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We have limited Hotel improvement work to the hours between 12pm and 4pm. We apologize for any inconvenience etc etc etc...

I don't think it would be necessary to add

Due to the Top 2 floors being shut down for renovations many of our staff members have not had full time employment for the past week. We are sorry to the maids, bell boys and the front desk staff. Their financial situation worsening due to renovations of their workplace is regrettable. We want our customers to know we feel really sorry that our employees are not working full time.

Edit. In the memo to his employees the company would not say "we'll let you know when you can earn money again". The laid off employees are free to apply and receive UI. They are also free to earn money by exploring other opportunities. They are not required to "sit back and do nothing".

Actually you are missing the point entirely. It's called throwing a bone. It also makes a much cleaner public image. Pure and simply the brass dropped the ball on this.

There has been zero contact from GMMG directly to his staff. ZEE-ROH.
There has been zero reference by GMMG to the press regarding his staff. ZEE-ROH.

The example you provide is spurious in comparison to this situation. One involves planning and investment in the business for which the inconvenienced staff could be compensated or at least be given a time table. This current labour dispute involves exactly 'sit there scheduled to work and be ready or be fired' where the workers have been given no time table for the work interruption that does not involve them in any other direct capacity.

Yes, these people can go get another job, other than the one they have done for years, but is it for one week, one month or one year? Proper personnel management would imply looking to protect your staff, whom one would assume you value, so that when the labour stoppage ends you are ready to provide service with little transition. Should they all just leave the employ of the organization? How professional would that remaining staff be?

None of the employees are being laid off so no one will be earning EI. They are simply having their shifts cut 75% with no other consideration, including lip service, for their major inconvenience. All this when the top executive has a pre-written statement to the fans released on the website before he informs his staff of the situation or says anything to address their concerns.

Face it, it's because this statement is about damage control to the fans who he fully expects to be there when this is over, whenever that may be. He is not addressing his staff, either in public or private, because they are not a concern to him.

Edited by theminister, 04 October 2012 - 04:47 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1210 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

#1211 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I doubt the staff costs worry Aquilini in the least. I would bet he's still paying them a significant portion of their pay. Why else would they be turning up at charity events volunteering their time? They all know that Aquilini isn't a driving force behind the NHL's position. It's not in his interests, and with many of the staff having seen the franchise rake in money over the last few years, it would look bad if he didn't compensate his staff somewhat. It would just be unnecessary penny-pinching.

#1212 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Actually you are missing the point entirely. It's called throwing a bone.

Actually I am not missing the point, You are missing the point of the media release.

Having been a paying customer of the Canucks for almost 3 decades I get the point. The media release was directed towards me. The paying customer.

Any staff member who didn't see a lockout coming is an idiot. Even the fans knew this was coming, no excuse for staff not to have known and prepared.

If staff feel neglected because MG didn't personally write them to explain the lockout then staff have the option of moving on and find a better employer. No need to cry over it.

#1213 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Actually I am not missing the point, You are missing the point of the media release.

Having been a paying customer of the Canucks for almost 3 decades I get the point. The media release was directed towards me. The paying customer.

Any staff member who didn't see a lockout coming is an idiot. Even the fans knew this was coming, no excuse for staff not to have known and prepared.

If staff feel neglected because MG didn't personally write them to explain the lockout then staff have the option of moving on and find a better employer. No need to cry over it.

Who's to say he didn't privately?

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1214 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Who's to say he didn't privately?

Exactly what I said earlier. In house memo is what goes to the employees. This is a media release to the customers.

#1215 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

The deal that could get this whole thing done:

- HRR stays the same formula
- 7 year deal, player's share drops 1% each year to end up at an equal 50%
- Player actual salary is protected from lowering in real dollars this season and the cap stays at the $70 million
- The ACTUAL cap is guaranteed not to lower below $64 million over the course of the deal (you pro-rate this amount over each of the last 6 years of the deal... the cap cannot lower more than a million per year)
- an increase in revenue sharing amongst teams
- 6 year limit on contract length
- cap hit is the actual dollars paid in a year and not the average... or some complicated formula that protects against hugely front loaded contracts. Something like no year in a deal can pay more than double of the lowest year in the deal.

This gives a lot from the players, but also pushes the league to have to grow revenues because if revenues shrink or don't grow at all, the player share stays higher because of the guaranteed cap amount. If the league does grow even at a modest pace of inflation, they drop the player share dramatically over the course of the deal.

In the end it is going to look something like this, lets just hope that it is sooner rather than later.

In the meantime I am going to enjoy watching the Heat and Wolves on Sportsnet on October 20th. I would love to have them televise our AHL games to get to have a good look at our prospects.

Edited by Provost, 04 October 2012 - 10:46 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#1216 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

The funny thing about this whole thing is everyone knows what is going to happen in the end and that's the players will crack and give in to the league. I side with the players on a lot of the issues but the bottom line is the owners don't need the NHL to make money, infact many of them make more money without running their teams. The players are just going to end up losing more if they wait it out, even if they manage to get a slightly better deal from the owners it won't make up for the money they lose if they are locked out for any significant amount of time.

LOL! They won't crack under Donald Fehr, in fact they can't unless Fehr approves and he won't. The players felt embarrassed by their union after the last lockout and hired the guy that broke Baseball owners for a reason. The owners are sadly mistaken if they think this will end as well for them as the last lockout did. And the NHLPA is setup in a way now where it is Mutiny Proof. Fehr's grip on the NHLPA is just as strong as Bettman's on the owners

Forget replacement players. How about a replacement league led by the jilted by the NHL Wayne Gretzky. I'd be for it. Perhaps it could even be a North American expansion of the KHL.

With Teams in Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Quebec City, Hamilton, Minnesota, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh.

14 team league. 7 teams in the Canadian division and 7 in the American Division. The heck with the NHL! If it was part of the KHL there could be a yearly allstar game that brings all the top players together and the champion of the North American KHL could face the champion of Russian KHL in a World Championship Series.

Let me end by saying this. I don't support a new league because I support the players side in this. I support a new league because I support the fans side in this. The new league would see lower ticket prices. Lets face it the players are overpaid but if the owners get what they want is there anyone here that thinks they will pass that savings onto the fans in the longrun? No, they just plan on pocketing more money of course.

I think a new league would humble both sides and get hockey back to its roots. I'm sure it won't happen. At least not in the forseeable future but I think it needs to happen for hockeys longterm success. Just like the everygrowing debt in todays North American Society the current business model for the NHL is not a sustainable one in the longrun.

Edited by gradin123, 05 October 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#1217 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

- Player actual salary is protected from lowering in real dollars this season and the cap stays at the $70 million
- The ACTUAL cap is guaranteed not to lower below $64 million over the course of the deal (you pro-rate this amount over each of the last 6 years of the deal... the cap cannot lower more than a million per year)
- cap hit is the actual dollars paid in a year and not the average... or some complicated formula that protects against hugely front loaded contracts. Something like no year in a deal can pay more than double of the lowest year in the deal.

This gives a lot from the players, but also pushes the league to have to grow revenues because if revenues shrink or don't grow at all, the player share stays higher because of the guaranteed cap amount. If the league does grow even at a modest pace of inflation, they drop the player share dramatically over the course of the deal.

In the end it is going to look something like this, lets just hope that it is sooner rather than later.

In the meantime I am going to enjoy watching the Heat and Wolves on Sportsnet on October 20th. I would love to have them televise our AHL games to get to have a good look at our prospects.

Yeah. That's pretty much the deal that could do it. It's what common sense dictates. However if common sense was prevailing, there wouldn't be a lockout.

#1218 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

LOL! They won't crack under Donald Fehr, in fact they can't unless Fehr approves and he won't. The players felt embarrassed by their union after the last lockout and hired the guy that broke Baseball owners for a reason. The owners are sadly mistaken if they think this will end as well for them as the last lockout did. And the NHLPA is setup in a way now where it is Mutiny Proof. Fehr's grip on the NHLPA is just as strong as Bettman's on the owners

Forget replacement players. How about a replacement league led by the jilted by the NHL Wayne Gretzky. I'd be for it. Perhaps it could even be a North American expansion of the KHL.

With Teams in Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Quebec City, Hamilton, Minnesota, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh.

14 team league. 7 teams in the Canadian division and 7 in the American Division. The heck with the NHL! If it was part of the KHL there could be a yearly allstar game that brings all the top players together and the champion of the North American KHL could face the champion of Russian KHL in a World Championship Series.

Let me end by saying this. I don't support a new league because I support the players side in this. I support a new league because I support the fans side in this. The new league would see lower ticket prices. Lets face it the players are overpaid but if the owners get what they want is there anyone here that thinks they will pass that savings onto the fans in the longrun? No, they just plan on pocketing more money of course.

I think a new league would humble both sides and get hockey back to its roots. I'm sure it won't happen. At least not in the forseeable future but I think it needs to happen for hockeys longterm success. Just like the everygrowing debt in todays North American Society the current business model for the NHL is not a sustainable one in the longrun.

New league will not happen because the players will still want 57% of their own profits.

I would love to see players try and start a new league, then they may realize the cost of hockey and how well they actually have it with someone else footing the expenses.

Most of these owners own the buildings in cities you suggest teams are going to play, so that means the will be playing in Jr. hockey arenas about 6000 to 12 000 seats maybe..

Let the players run the NHL for one season with their own money, lets see what happens then.

Edited by canuckelhead70, 05 October 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#1219 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

So.... If there is no hockey being played and no CBA talks going on. What the puck is Donald and Gary doing that is so important than the two things I just mentioned??? There isn't anything else you can do except continue to bridge the gap. Bill daly was in a meeting in Toronto actually today, so there was something.....
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#1220 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

New league will not happen because the players will still want 57% of their own profits.

I would love to see players try and start a new league, then they may realize the cost of hockey and how well they actually have it with someone else footing the expenses.

Most of these owners own the buildings in cities you suggest teams are going to play, so that means the will be playing in Jr. hockey arenas about 6000 to 12 000 seats maybe..

Let the players run the NHL for one season with their own money, lets see what happens then.

Really I support the KHL's expansion to North America and Western Europe. If the NHL had a real rival they wouldn't be pulling this lockout crap every 6 years. The owners right now are CLEARLY using lockouts as their main negotiating tool. In others words they will keep locking out the players after every contract unless the players agree to all their demands.

#1221 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

So.... If there is no hockey being played and no CBA talks going on. What the puck is Donald and Gary doing that is so important than the two things I just mentioned??? There isn't anything else you can do except continue to bridge the gap. Bill daly was in a meeting in Toronto actually today, so there was something.....

They're each waiting for the other guy to blink.
Posted Image

#1222 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Imagine this went on for more then a season.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#1223 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,487 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

"Secret" meetings went on today between Bettman, Daly, and both Fehr's. Apparently they plan to meet again next week.

Hopefully they're actually making progress and not just sitting in a room and staring at each other.

Why don't they just lower the cap floor for this upcoming season so that struggling teams can spend less on players in order to cut their expenses. Then slowly lower the salary cap ceiling over the next few seasons to close the gap and maintain the parity. That way players don't lose their current salaries, but teams have the ability to spend less on player salaries now.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1224 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,487 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Dan Boyle also went on record saying that he believes the majority of NHL owners didn't want a lockout, and that it's only a select group of teams, and Gary Bettman, that are holding the negotiations hostage.

The report says that the NHL only needs 8 votes from owners to veto any proposal by the players. So pretty much it may be as few as 8 teams that are keeping this thing from getting done right now. Any guesses as to who those 8 teams would be? My guess is you can add any of the struggling teams to the list. Maybe a couple greedy owners too.

Edited by DeNiro, 05 October 2012 - 02:23 PM.

Posted Image

#1225 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Dan Boyle also went on record saying that he believes the majority of NHL owners didn't want a lockout, and that it's only a select group of teams, and Gary Bettman, that are holding the negotiations hostage.

The report says that the NHL only needs 8 votes from owners to veto any proposal by the players. So pretty much it may be as few as 8 teams that are keeping this thing from getting done right now. Any guesses as to who those 8 teams would be? My guess is you can add any of the struggling teams to the list. Maybe a couple greedy owners too.

Thanks for the update. I had the impression that it wasn't a 'uninamous' decision that the media made it out to be. Successful teams like the Canucks, Rangers, Penguins, Leafs, Canadiens, Flyers, Sharks, Blackhawks etc. take losses from the lockout while struggling franchises can hold out as long as they want because paying player salary cuts their profits significantly. It begs the question though, why didn't these struggling teams like the NHLPA's proposal to better redistribute profits? I have to think there is more politics going on.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1226 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,487 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the update. I had the impression that it wasn't a 'uninamous' decision that the media made it out to be. Successful teams like the Canucks, Rangers, Penguins, Leafs, Canadiens, Flyers, Sharks, Blackhawks etc. take losses from the lockout while struggling franchises can hold out as long as they want because paying player salary cuts their profits significantly. It begs the question though, why didn't these struggling teams like the NHLPA's proposal to better redistribute profits? I have to think there is more politics going on.

He also suggests that some of the owners are simply looking to delay the start of the season so that they can save money on player salaries.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If they start the season in January, the struggling teams save about 35 million dollars in player salaries this season by only having to pay players for half of this season. Then next season, they will have to pay less due to the players concessions and the increased revenue sharing.

So even if the players offer is fair, their may be some teams that are determined to delay the start of the season no matter what.

Posted Image

#1227 austy

austy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Do the players get to vote on various proposals put forth by the nhlpa? Ie do you think all the players agree with fehr's proposals? I could just imagine a guy making 500,000 a year might not be so keen on solidarity as the guy making 5mill, do they put small ideas to vote on a regular basis to the player reps or is everything in fehr's hands?

please be gentle with my posts...I am Australian, hockey isnt my first language.

#1228 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

The Idea that 8 team owners could dictate the fiscal reality that would be faced by 30 teams doesn't make sense. If you had $250 mil invested in a franchise would you go for such a situation? I suspect it is more the concept 8tem might be the negociation committee of ownership. Just as the NHLPA has a player's committee. Some fans might take some kind of solace in the idea that Bettman has hyjacked the NHL along with 8 owners but IMHO that is laughable. Apparently some NHLers feel the same if the Boyle quote is accurate. Of course if you can believe this then the assumption might be that the other 22 owners will reassert their ownership authority and remove Bettman and the Group of 8. Not going to happen.

If the team finances are as shaky as the Forbes article suggested then the NHLPA is faced with a double edge sword. There appears to be 6 - 8 teams who are making money and 6 - 8 teams who are losing money with the balance treading water. Where is the constituency that is going to break the ownership solidarity? The profitable teams are already contributing money into a stability pool to help losing teams. The NHLPA wants them to pay more into the pool. The losing teams who benefit from the pool, if anything need more money which the profitable teams do not want to ante up. The break even teams are in a no win situation as their franchises could go either way. With the USA economy the likelyhood is down. There is no other reality than to cut operating costs. The NHLPA is hooped!

Many fans are questioning the revenue and expenses of the NHL. The assumption seems to be that the owners are making way more money than they are declaring. Some fans even suggest that even if the owners are losing money they are so rich that other parts of their business enterprises should subsidize the NHLPA demands and for that matter subsidize ticket prices to watch the games. Somehow I doubt that will happen. All sorts of scenarios could unfold. If the owners get serious about replacement players then I will conclude that their finances are desperate. If the owners negociate a graduated reduction to NHLPA's % of HRR then I have to assume that their original demands of 43% were exaggerated as part of a negociation position.

Since the NHL has the position of strength in this dispute fans who have criticize the 2004 CBA have some grounds. While no one appeared to have forecast revenue growth to the extent that happened, neither the NHL or the NHLPA, it was encumbant of the NHL to bring an agreement forward that would create stability. Realizing this I suspect the 2012 CBA will have more certainty and if it takes a year to get it then that is what will happen. The $2 billion NBA broadcast contract was a taste of what the NHL can hope for in media revenue. It is a vindication of the NHL business plan. It lends hope to the survival of more southern and traditionally non-hockey markets. Failure of the business plan dooms the NHL to a gate driven enterprise which will never support the number of teams or the revenue goals that pay players the contracts that they have enjoyed.

#1229 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

This is a good post. I have been saying this for months now.

The cap is 70mil. It stays at 70 mil.

However, the NHLPA agrees to a 50 50 split. This means that temporarily they continue to get more but as revenues rise, the cap stays the same until that 70mil = 50% , and then it can rise as revenues rise after that.

The NHLPA must also concede 5 year max contracts, all the same amount of money per year of contract.

There is nothing wrong with this proposal . and both sides should take it and just move on.
Posted Image

#1230 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

He also suggests that some of the owners are simply looking to delay the start of the season so that they can save money on player salaries.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If they start the season in January, the struggling teams save about 35 million dollars in player salaries this season by only having to pay players for half of this season. Then next season, they will have to pay less due to the players concessions and the increased revenue sharing.

So even if the players offer is fair, their may be some teams that are determined to delay the start of the season no matter what.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The owners' actions don't imply a desire to reach a resolution with any speed. The NHLPA should be writing a lockout clause in the CBA, after 3 the owners are just using it to shorten a season and they should be hemorrhaging salary costs for something like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.