#1231 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,348 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

@MaStrozyk
Kärpät announce they have signed Kyle Turris. His contract covers the entire lockout. Expected to debut next Friday.

307mg00.jpg

#1232 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Dan Boyle also went on record saying that he believes the majority of NHL owners didn't want a lockout, and that it's only a select group of teams, and Gary Bettman, that are holding the negotiations hostage.

The report says that the NHL only needs 8 votes from owners to veto any proposal by the players. So pretty much it may be as few as 8 teams that are keeping this thing from getting done right now. Any guesses as to who those 8 teams would be? My guess is you can add any of the struggling teams to the list. Maybe a couple greedy owners too.

Nashville columbus nyi Dallas Florida Tampa Nj Carolina and of course pho = bettman

#1233 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Nashville columbus nyi Dallas Florida Tampa Nj Carolina and of course pho = bettman

Boston and Minnesota owners are the main culprits
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1234 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

The funny thing about this whole thing is everyone knows what is going to happen in the end and that's the players will crack and give in to the league. I side with the players on a lot of the issues but the bottom line is the owners don't need the NHL to make money, infact many of them make more money without running their teams. The players are just going to end up losing more if they wait it out, even if they manage to get a slightly better deal from the owners it won't make up for the money they lose if they are locked out for any significant amount of time.

If the players keep going to europe and collecting some decent money to tide them over then theres no need for them to cave and they shouldn't anyways .

Gary Bettman and the owners that are following his antics need to be taught a lesson this time around .

As much i hate not being able to watch canucks hockey i understand that players just like the rest of us we do not deserved to be ripped of by employers , If owners cant handle paying the salaries that they have approved there GMs to offer then they should have never offered them
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1235 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Posted ImageAllan Walsh@walsha

Why did Bettman/Daly sneak into Toronto for secret meeting w/ the NHLPA? He's feeling heat from owners. Being told, "we can't lose season."

Edited by TheGame., 06 October 2012 - 09:21 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#1236 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Posted ImageAllan Walsh@walsha

Why did Bettman/Daly sneak into Toronto for secret meeting w/ the NHLPA? He's feeling heat from owners. Being told, "we can't lose season."

Why can't it be the NHLPA calling bettman in...???

Bet it was Fehr callin Bettman "You win, you are to much of a FORCE!" We CAVE~!

Go Owners~!

#1237 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 75,348 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Bob McKenzie took to Twitter last night to give us some of his thoughts on the lockout:

My instincts say we’ll lose the whole year but we’ve still got a month or two to salvage a Dec or Jan start up, so we’ll see.

I suspect we’ll see our first real movement from either side in coming week but whether that creates legit traction for talks, who knows?

At this point, I don’t doubt either side’s resolve. That may be the problem. Owners think players will cave. Players think owners will cave.

I think, like last time, we’ll lose the season before anyone blinks.

I’m dismayed that the NHL is insistent on getting such a significant and immediate clawback (57 to 50 per cent). Too much, too soon.

But it’s equally discouraging that we are cancelling games and players are still stuck on notion of not taking any tangibe dollar reduction.

Maybe it’s posturing to get best deal possible at right time but if players insist on no tangible reduction to actual $, turn out the lights.

I don’t doubt players’ resolve, but I am surprised at how many players think Bettman and/or owners will blink. Maybe they will, but… …

But of all the things I’ve learned in 30+ yrs covering this game, Bettman, Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider don’t strike me as bluffers.

And last time I checked, Don Fehr isn’t a guy who shies away from a fight. So that pretty much brings us to where we are.

Fans, as angry as they are, have no voice in this dispute, at this moment. But once dispute is over, they have the only voice that matters.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t voice frustration/anger now, I’m saying the only real impact you have is by not spending your $$$.

As for most frequently asked questions: if lockout goes all year, players lose or burn that year of their contract…

Biggest fear, and maybe this why it won’t last all season, is if it goes whole season, prospects of 2nd season being affected are high IMO.

If season is lost, I can see NHLPA putting salary cap back on table. Then we have a fight that makes this one look like Boy Scout Jamboree.”

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 07 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#1238 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

UGH this lockout depresses me.
Posted Image

#1239 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405196

Bettman has a clause in his contract that he can unilaterally veto any offer from the union if he has the backing of at least 8 teams but this lockout was a unanimous decision with approval from all 30 NHL teams.

#1240 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,374 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405196

Bettman has a clause in his contract that he can unilaterally veto any offer from the union if he has the backing of at least 8 teams but this lockout was a unanimous decision with approval from all 30 NHL teams.

BS posturing by Bettman. It makes the owners seem more resolved if they come out and say that they are all together.

I guarantee not every owner agreed to the lockout. In fact it has come out recently that quite a few owners were against it. Sure they may have wanted more cut of the revenue, but they were willing to negotiate while playing under the old CBA.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 October 2012 - 07:53 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1241 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Man... I'm starting to feel depressed... All this homework and no hockey afterwards :(
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#1242 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

The Idea that 8 team owners could dictate the fiscal reality that would be faced by 30 teams doesn't make sense. If you had $250 mil invested in a franchise would you go for such a situation? I suspect it is more the concept 8tem might be the negociation committee of ownership. Just as the NHLPA has a player's committee. Some fans might take some kind of solace in the idea that Bettman has hyjacked the NHL along with 8 owners but IMHO that is laughable. Apparently some NHLers feel the same if the Boyle quote is accurate. Of course if you can believe this then the assumption might be that the other 22 owners will reassert their ownership authority and remove Bettman and the Group of 8. Not going to happen.

I've been giving this some thought. Maybe it's more a case of the owners being trapped by their own constitution. My guess is that for big decisions like this, it takes 75% of the owners (23) to sign off on a new deal. When worded that way, it doesn't sound entirely unreasonable. It would make fairly good sense that it would take a significant majority in order to set the course for the balance of the teams.

However, the unintended consequence of such a rule is just like you describe. It only takes 8 owners to prevent a potential deal from being accepted. So I don't think they can dictate any sort of direction or decision, but they certainly could block progress.
Posted Image

#1243 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,374 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Here's what I don't get. People say that the players caved last time and were screwed over by the owners. Yet today the average player salary is through the roof, and players are getting ridiculous contracts. So were they really screwed that badly?

They say they're doing it for future generations of players, but the reality is they're doing it for themselves. By the time the new CBA has expired, player salaries will be right back up to the ridiculous amounts they are right now.

And players who are going to become UFA's in the next year or so, like a corey perry, will get what they're worth. You don't think teams will offer Perry 6-7 million no matter where the cap is at? And if he thinks he's worth more than that, then that's what's wrong with the NHL.

They're really only sticking up for players who don't deserve big contracts, because if a player deserves a big contract, they'll get it. If a player doesn't, like a Leino or Ehrhoff, then they shouldn't be getting paid that much anyways. All that does is make the true elite players in the league want more, because they know they're way better.

Bottom line is, salaries need to be corrected just like in 04/05. Sure revenue is up, but so are expenses. There's no way a league that is making 3+ billion dollars should have so many struggling teams.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 October 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image

#1244 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yup pretty high salaries but no one forced any of the owners to the cap or contract lengths they offered players it's their own fault.Biggest fault in any agreement in the NHL is the one the owners have where it only takes 8 teams to veto a players offer.I would bet if it took over at least 50% of them we'd have a season already.Only the crappy teams in the south want the lockout.They'd save alot of money if they lowered Gary's salary, 8 million to be hated is way to much coin.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#1245 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,374 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Yup pretty high salaries but no one forced any of the owners to the cap or contract lengths they offered players it's their own fault.Biggest fault in any agreement in the NHL is the one the owners have where it only takes 8 teams to veto a players offer.I would bet if it took over at least 50% of them we'd have a season already.Only the crappy teams in the south want the lockout.They'd save alot of money if they lowered Gary's salary, 8 million to be hated is way to much coin.

I agree it's the owners dumb fault for letting things get out of control, but at the same time someone needs to put a stop to it before things get really out of control.

Basically you can either blame the rules that are in place, or you can blame the people taking advantage of them. Blaming the people taking advantage of them doesn't address the problem though. The owner's are always going to take advantage of the rules to put their teams in the best position, so the only way to fix things is by changing the rules.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 October 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image

#1246 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

BS posturing by Bettman. It makes the owners seem more resolved if they come out and say that they are all together.

I guarantee not every owner agreed to the lockout. In fact it has come out recently that quite a few owners were against it. Sure they may have wanted more cut of the revenue, but they were willing to negotiate while playing under the old CBA.

Same thing could be said of players.

Qualify you guarantee.

#1247 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,972 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

Not sure how much longer I can go without NHL hockey :/

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1248 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

The NHLPA does not want to give back 7% to bring revenue sharing to an equal 50/50 split with the owners. The NHLPA claims that revenues are going to grow 7% a year in each of the next 5 to 6 years, so basically according to the math of the NHLPA it would be a 1 year roll back then they would be back where they are today. Now 2 weeks have been cancelled and the NHLPA players have lost 7% of salaries this year.

NHL players are going to play in a league (KHL) that has a salary cap of 36M and are allowed only some many imports. The only players that can make any kind of big money in the KHL are Russian born players.

With players going to play overseas does that not seem to show that the players are not sticking together as a union but only thinking of themselves? How many third and fouth line players have been offered contracts to play overseas? I thought a union was all for one and one for all. 30 000 auto workers that are making a lot less then these hockey players are were able to take concessions from a company that was making billions, so I find it hard to see why players that are making millions won't........for now.

I believe we will not see hockey until Dec 2013.

#1249 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I feel you brother

Lions Gate Bridge here I come :(
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#1250 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,327 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I agree it's the owners dumb fault for letting things get out of control, but at the same time someone needs to put a stop to it before things get really out of control.

Basically you can either blame the rules that are in place, or you can blame the people taking advantage of them. Blaming the people taking advantage of them doesn't address the problem though. The owner's are always going to take advantage of the rules to put their teams in the best position, so the only way to fix things is by changing the rules.

I remember when Gilman was hired as a CAP-ologist to maximize Van's compliance with CAP regulations. Two years ago he was a hero as the Canucks juggled injuries thru the season and stayed CAP compliant into the CUP run. All those fans on here who view the players as simple working stiffs weren't complaining when Van spent to the max on contracts. It was more a question of how do we fit the latest deal in.

As much as the 30 teams are members of a NHL league and have common business issues they still remain competitors. I can just imagine the Columbus ownership group dreaming of TO's revenues. Does this group think they should gamble to the CAP max to make that breakthrough that brings the revenue in or do they stay with youth and bring a talent rich youth group along? Can their business survive long enough to make that transition as fans tune out after years of development?

The big question is whether the commonality of business issues can evolve into a CBA that deals with the various owners prime concerns. Again I stress the risk the owners run, is a serious deterioration in their USA franchises. Failure in more USA markets could destroy the media revenue plan they are pursuing. Their cost structure is not supporting the league now even after the $2 billion NBC contract. It was a taste of success and an indication of the potential. A prolonged lockout could destroy this as media outlets move elsewhere. If it is destroyed I forsee a 'gate driven' NHL which means far less teams and a reduced cost structure across the board. It will be a disaster for both sides of this lockout.

Perhaps a graduated agreement can be reached where if revenue growth is experienced as the NHLPA says then the % of revenue can be adjusted down for ownership's benefit. IMO ownership is under pressure just from the players and fans but also from their business partners who want certainty. These business partners are the vendors, their financiers, their landlords and most importantly their media buyers. Be-cause of this I suspect the owners will bargain hard to achieve certainty.

#1251 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,859 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

I've been giving this some thought. Maybe it's more a case of the owners being trapped by their own constitution. My guess is that for big decisions like this, it takes 75% of the owners (23) to sign off on a new deal. When worded that way, it doesn't sound entirely unreasonable. It would make fairly good sense that it would take a significant majority in order to set the course for the balance of the teams.

However, the unintended consequence of such a rule is just like you describe. It only takes 8 owners to prevent a potential deal from being accepted. So I don't think they can dictate any sort of direction or decision, but they certainly could block progress.

I'd argue that not all the owners have equal power though. It's the same with any business - the ones with the most financial power also have the most power over the direction of the business' future.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1252 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 75,348 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Looking like talks will resume on Wednesday or Thursday, but it’s not finalized yet.

https://twitter.com/...131097908781056

307mg00.jpg

#1253 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 75,348 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ilya Bryzgalov thinks that some Russian players will not return to the NHL:

“(NHL) owners…they create this situation and they put themselves into this situation,” explained Bryzgalov. “Like I said before, they have to take responsibility for their own actions.

“If you watch what they did consistently, like saying: ‘It’s going to be (a) lockout. We’re not happy with the system, we can’t operate with the system that we had’…and (yet) they continued to sign the players during the negotiation process, signing the players to long-term contracts for big amounts.”

“I think some of the players may not return to the NHL because you have everything here and major companies are going to pay the top players here big money. And, especially for Russians players who can play at home in front of their own fans and families and [earn] even bigger money than they have in the National Hockey League,” said Bryzgalov.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406898

307mg00.jpg

#1254 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Ilya Bryzgalov thinks that some Russian players will not return to the NHL:

“(NHL) owners…they create this situation and they put themselves into this situation,” explained Bryzgalov. “Like I said before, they have to take responsibility for their own actions.

“If you watch what they did consistently, like saying: ‘It’s going to be (a) lockout. We’re not happy with the system, we can’t operate with the system that we had’…and (yet) they continued to sign the players during the negotiation process, signing the players to long-term contracts for big amounts.”

“I think some of the players may not return to the NHL because you have everything here and major companies are going to pay the top players here big money. And, especially for Russians players who can play at home in front of their own fans and families and [earn] even bigger money than they have in the National Hockey League,” said Bryzgalov.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406898

Good, maybe then we can get back to the 80's style of hockey when there were more North Americans in the league

#1255 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Remember what we're in this for, what we're trying to get back

#1256 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,765 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've been watching the Pitt-Philly series highlights on youtube and the MAKAVELI canucks highlights. Even though it's old, it still seems to do the trick when I'm missing hockey.

#1257 Owen Nolan

Owen Nolan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Both sides are a joke.. Not even talking core economics this week, just the minor details. Something needs to be done!
Posted Image

#1258 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Wow... can't believe its taking this long...

#1259 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,859 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Good, maybe then we can get back to the 80's style of hockey when there were more North Americans in the league

It's not like Bryz said anything untrue. The only issue is the KHL isn't a bottomless bank either. If they have to pay bigger money to get the big superstars, they'll feet the strain as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1260 Brambojoe

Brambojoe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Signing and breaking contracts (via clawback) without good reason is bad business - it smacks of being out of control and using the expiry of the CBA as a stopgap doesn't impress.

I agree that the players should not agree unless something is proposed that doesn't inevitably lead to another lookout as soon as this CBA expires. That said they are taking a financial loss on principle here so I hope it works out for them.

The owners I don't understand at all since as a league they are taking a financial loss on a bottom line issue. Locking out when the league is profitable is a bizarre move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.