The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I'm getting to the point that I dont even care anymore... I've been a fan longer than most posters have been alive, and I'm sick of it... I used to side with the players, but I read a post here that changed my mind.

The bottom line is the owners own the teams, the players do not... if they want to play, sign an agreement or go play elsewhere. The players are not entitled to anything, let alone 50%....

The longer this goes, the more I am losing interest... pretty soon I wont even bother... its turning into a big waste of energy.

Sadly, reading between the lines on what Daly, the Fehrs and Bettman are saying, not much got done. This basically stems from the owners' original unrealistic starting demands. Negotiations started with the owners tossing out an insulting lowball offer. Players said "Get real" and made a totally different offer. The NHL responded by sorta kinda changing their demands but essentially just made provisions that took chunks out of HRR. So on paper they could offer the players an increased percentage of revenue while actually cutting them out entirely of some of what constitutes HRR now. NHLPA looked over the deal and said "Cut the crap, we'll deal when you're for real" and no counter offer was made. Now they're meeting again, mostly to hammer out stuff that needs to get done anyways. Bettman and Donald Fehr had a private meeting but obviously that was just a continuation of Fehr saying "Ready to table a real offer?" and Bettman replying with "When you do".

You can tell the NHL is not so much negotiating as saying "Oh yeah, here's a concession the papers can write about" even though it moves very little money. Meanwhile Bettman and Daly are going to the press and saying "They're not dealing! They want a lockout!" while ignoring that this isn't a strike. That's continued today so I can only assume the NHL is going ahead with their current approach and have no intention of changing it in the short term.

I'm getting to the point that I dont even care anymore... I've been a fan longer than most posters have been alive, and I'm sick of it... I used to side with the players, but I read a post here that changed my mind.

The bottom line is the owners own the teams, the players do not... if they want to play, sign an agreement or go play elsewhere. The players are not entitled to anything, let alone 50%....

The longer this goes, the more I am losing interest... pretty soon I wont even bother... its turning into a big waste of energy.

Though I only quoted the above, the entire post was right on the mark.

Ossi had to go down the debate fallacy path of the "call to authority". The "morals" card. Yep, Aquillini is indeed a slumlord. Even in the respectable properties he owns (with Zen), he's cheap and intransigent. I know, because my mother owned and lived in one of his apartments for years.

The point is that, as Boudrias says, we all have to negotiate with people who are immoral, and more than those, with others who are at least a little shady. Everybody's got some dirt on them, and if you don't, you're living in a monastery somewhere. But then, that wouldn't apply to anyone here, I wouldn't think.

The owners have stepped on a lot of toes to make their multimillions/billions. And the players, though the hard-working heroes of so many who watch hockey, have benefitted enormously from the lucky fact that so many of us will pay -- either directly through live gate, or indirectly through ad support of TV viewing -- large amounts to watch them play a game that they themselves are happy to indulge in at midnight once a week. More pressure on the players? Sure. But that's not really pressure, is it? It ain't the real world they're in. After you sign your three- or five-year contract, you can tool around on the ice just like in beer league central but you'll still get your $4 to $12 million. Try doing that for two weeks at any other job under an employer and see how fast they fire your a$$.

I sound like I'm siding with the owners. I'm not. As said, most are greedy and corrupt, to varying degrees. But this isn't a "fair" world. The players aren't going to get a half-way deal, not even one where it's 30-70 against them. The quicker they get off the idealistic rhetorical solidarity bandstand, the quicker they'll be better off financially, and the quicker all sides -- owners, players, fans -- can enjoy the game.

Oh, and since we're using personal experiences to back up our points, though I'm now an entrepreneur, the last job I had working for an employer saw me accept the fact that the company, and those I directly answered to, were often shady. I never lost any sleep at night, because I was as honest and honorable as possible under that set-up. But I also wasn't completely clean just because of the entire macro-level strictures. And I've been around many blocks in many different industries to know that most employess, if they're honest, will have to admit the same.

The reason I side with Boudrias and against Ossi is that the posters who agree with the latter seem to be making this out as a "moral" issue -- greedy owners, downtrodden players. Both sides, they're ALL greedy, as are all of us to varying extents. But the owners own the hammer. As others have said, the players are free to start up their own league or take away the jobs of their "brethren" in Europe. But if they were smart, they'd swallow their pride and "suffer" with the scraps the NHL deigns to throw their way.

The owners offered up the rediculous contracts. If someone offered you $2 million to do your particular gob you would not turn it down.

I am season a ticket holder and to be quite honest I could care less if the season is locked out. At least I'll get my money back. If there wasn't a 5 year wait list I would honestly consider dumping them.

I bought Seahawks season tickets this season pretty much knowing I won't be going to any Canuck games.

The owners offered up the rediculous contracts. If someone offered you $2 million to do your particular gob you would not turn it down.

I am season a ticket holder and to be quite honest I could care less if the season is locked out. At least I'll get my money back. If there wasn't a 5 year wait list I would honestly consider dumping them.

I bought Seahawks season tickets this season pretty much knowing I won't be going to any Canuck games.

I understand some of what I've said could be misconstrued as a moral argument, but please review my first response which dealt primarily with financials to make my point. Sometime after I fell for Boudrais' discourse and wrote about greed.

The bottom line if we scrape away all the various media inputs, the negotiating tactics, and the opinions that follow, we have a very simple dichotomy. One side is asking for status quo. The other is looking to rollback salaries while the business is growing, negate signed contracts and limit contractual freedoms fought for back in 2004. If this doesn't paint a very simple picture I'm not sure what does.

Young Oilers Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle take lockout in stride:

OKLAHOMA CITY -- This certainly wasn't how centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins envisioned starting the 2012-'13 hockey season.

But with plenty of uncertainty surrounding the NHL lockout, the sophomore forward is doing what he can to make the best of a bad situation.

Nugent-Hopkins was one of many Oilers youngsters in attendance Sunday at the opening of training camp for the Oklahoma City Barons, Edmonton's American Hockey League affiliate.

"It's good with everything that's going on to still get a chance to play and stay in shape," Nugent-Hopkins said. "There are some things I want to work on.

"A big thing for me is I want to be a two-way centre. I take a lot of pride in my defence, and that's something I'm definitely going to be focused on."

Nugent-Hopkins was among the NHL's top rookies last season, registering 52 points (18 goals, 34 assists) in 62 games. The former No. 1 overall selection did so despite missing 20 games with a shoulder injury.

Nugent-Hopkins sees his opportunity in Oklahoma City as a blessing in disguise, just as he does last season's injury.

"That first year I wanted to learn as much as I possibly could," he said. "It was a great learning experience.

"There were some positives from the injury. Watching the game from upstairs, I was able to see it from a different perspective, and I believe it will help me moving forward."

Moving forward is also what right-winger Jordan Eberle is concentrating on right now. Eberle hasn't spent much time in Oklahoma City, arriving Friday night, and he says he can already tell the winning attitude the team and the city have.

Eberle had 76 points (34 goals, 42 assists) last season with Edmonton. Eberle has earned a reputation for being a scorer but doesn't want to be known as a one-dimensional player.

"I've always been known as an offensive guy," he said. "That's not bad or anything, but I want to be known as a complete player.

"I get a chance to work on some things here. I'm going to work on my defence and penalty kill. With the lockout, this is the next best option here in North America. They made it to the conference final last season, and we want to continue that success. The winning attitude is great and something we want to take back with us to Edmonton. I'm going to enjoy this experience."

While Eberle will work on overall improvement, his new teammates can't wait to see what he can produce offensively.

"He can score goals, no doubt about that," defenceman Colten Teubert said. "He's going to contribute a lot of points and be exciting to watch. And for somebody his size, he is very strong with the puck.

"With Nuge (Nugent-Hopkins), he's an unbelievable playmaker. He's going to do things here that are going to make the people here in Oklahoma City say, 'Wow.' He is that special of a talent."

Barons coach Todd Nelson wasted no time getting down to business Sunday. There was no feeling-out process, instead, it was right to work on systems and schemes.

Nelson knew before the start of camp that Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle would be in attendance but realized quickly Sunday he'll have something special for however long the NHL lockout continues.

"Those are some highly skilled guys," Nelson said. "They've been impact players in the NHL.

"Obviously when they get here what that's going to do is raise the level of play for the rest of the guys. Right now they're out here working hard and having fun. It was a real good first day."

The Barons will practise all week before playing two exhibition games against the Houston Aeros on Friday and Saturday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406452&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Archived