The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Interesting to note in the proposal that AHL contracts count against the cap in some way. Call it the Wade Redden rule. No more burying contracts in the minors. I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar loopholes closed. I wonder if they will close the retirement loophole?

For those excited that the NHL offer is Bettman throwing the fans a bone forget it. Neither he or Fehr give a rat's ass about what the fans think. I guess that isn't totally true as the lockout could be undermining the NBC media deal.

I was one of those who thought there wouldn't be hockey this year. This NHL offer must give ownership enough that they can keep going for the next six years. Maybe they are buying the NHLPA thought that revenue will grow at 7% per year. I still find that a stretch in today's economy.

Can the players live under such a deal? I expect a Fehr counter which could sink the deal. Non the less the players could live with it. My main issue is whether all the franchises can. They had better do it right this time!

Woah woah woah. Some movement finally.

I see the NHL has decided to honour contracts, they will have to iron out the details of the salary cap. If that 55 mil is hard, you can expect Luongo to be dealt for next to nothing, Ballard to be waived and possibly Raymond moved too. I do like that the NHL has decided to honour the contracts over the length of the deal. They will have to move once again on contract lengths and UFA status. Lengths should be max 8 years, UFA should stay at 7.

Looking forward to the NHLPA's response. This is the starting point guys, expect negotiations to heat up for the next little while but NHLPA will likely use the entire 10 days to iron out the issues.

If my calculation above are correct, the cap ceiling would be ~$65-66 million. That puts MIN, BOS, VAN, CGY, PHI over the cap, but fairly manageable. I haven't checked to see what other teams have LTIR relief.

For us, Kesler is on LTIR to start the season, so we are cap compliant without making any moves. When he returns, we'd have to shed ~2-3 million?

All of this is speculation of course. Not sure how the proposed AHL cap hit may work.

I think we're finally getting close to the deal we were all looking for when this all started. Too much posturing from both sides. This easily could have been renegotiated during the end of the last CBA. This default lockout bargaining techninique Bettman is so fond of has to go after this one is over. A lockout at the end of every CBA is just unacceptable.

Or... he's another idea... eliminate max roster sizes. Each team should have a minimum roster size, but after that, let them carry as many guys as they want based on their salary cap. If you have a salary cap, why have a max roster size?

There's probably some issue with doing this that I am not thinking of right now, but beyond the risk of over-loading the press box, it might be win-win for both sides.

Bettman has been Fehr's bitch for a while now. He knew he was going to have to suck it up and make a real offer. That said, a "poison pill" could very well be included in this deal. Bettman is likely to get passive aggressive once he's been forced to make 3 offers in a row. Still, the fact Fehr didn't just laugh at him and say "Stop screwing with us" is a very promising sign. He would have been on the lookout for Bettman's scheming, you can be sure.

I'm good with that, but it's probably still around 25 guys. I mean forwards like Kesler playing 20 minutes a night, and defensemen like Edler playing 25, these guys will definitely need some relief. I'd have no issue sitting them against teams like Columbus in a 5 game week.

We'll see where this latest proposal takes us. I think the PA will want to negotiate some aspects of it, and figure out how the cap will change. Of the proposed changes: ELC to 4 years, max contract length to 5, and UFA at 28, which do you think the PA will concede on? I can't see them giving up all 3.

Or... he's another idea... eliminate max roster sizes. Each team should have a minimum roster size, but after that, let them carry as many guys as they want based on their salary cap. If you have a salary cap, why have a max roster size?

There's probably some issue with doing this that I am not thinking of right now, but beyond the risk of over-loading the press box, it might be win-win for both sides.

Archived