#2161 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

By Ken Warren and James Gordon

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk can expect to hear from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. And it won’t be to talk about the weather.

Melnyk broke the NHL’s internal policy against individual team personnel speaking about the on-going NHL lockout and collective bargaining agreement negotiations during a Wednesday interview on Toronto radio station The Fan 590. Among other comments, Melnyk said, “we should be playing hockey by now. Everybody knows it, and we’re not.”

Bettman and Bill Daly, the NHL’s deputy commissioner, are the only two league executives who have permission to speak publicly on the lockout-related matters.

“The league has a long-standing policy against club personnel speaking on collective bargaining matters,” Daly wrote in an email to the Citizen Thursday night. “It’s a serious policy and one that is well-founded in purpose and rationale.”

Daly says, however, that the league employs “discretion” and “common sense” in determining whether specific comments cross the line. He says the league will remind Melynk of the policy, but so far, the Seantors owner has not been fined or disciplined.

“We intend to talk to Eugene and understand the circumstances and context of his comments before determining next steps which, depending on their nature, are generally maintained as internal league matters and not disclosed publicly in any event.”

In other words, if Melnyk is fined or even slapped on the wrist, it won’t be made public.

While Melnyk’s words weren’t overly controversial, he came across sounding more like a passionate hockey fan than an NHL owner. He says fans don’t want to play the blame game over the NHL lockout — they just want to see some hockey.

“I’m extremely disappointed, like any fan, of where we are,” Melnyk said. “We should be playing hockey by now. Everybody knows it, and we’re not. Everybody can fingerpoint all they want, but at the end of the day, I don’t think anybody cares who’s at fault. All they know if we’re not playing hockey, why aren’t we playing hockey?”

Melnyk was also asked about the apathy some youngsters who may not even grasp the issues behind the impasse are feeling towards the league are feeling towards the league.

“I think of these kids too, 14 and under, kind of thing, they don’t even understand the concept of what’s going on. All they know is, there’s no hockey. So it’s a huge disappointment. You know, this should not happen, but it did, and you gotta do the best you can and live with it and hopefully resolve it and get back to playing.

Melnyk also revealed he was a rabid baseball fan when he was younger, but after the 1994 strike that wiped out the World Series, he was “gone.”

Now his baseball knowledge amounts to knowing “a guy named Rodriguez” and that he “makes a lot of money.

“I’m telling you, I couldn’t name another player and I don’t care.”

Major League Baseball suffered a great deal at the time and needed 10 years to get attendance back to where it was pre-strike.

As for the Winter Classic, which is expected to be cancelled Friday, Melnyk said: “Well I think it’s an important part of the game. It’s very widely, you know, it’s got a huge, huge audience. It’s extremely profitable for the NHL, which means its also profitable for everyone else. It is, you know, it has become a marquee event. It’s something that I think is very very important to everyone to promote the game everywhere. I mean, it’s a big, big deal.”

Melnyk also said he didn’t take advantage of the NHL’s window that allowed owners and general managers to talk to the players.

“Personally, I didn’t do any kind of outbound calls.”

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#2162 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,610 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Winter Classic Cancelled.

The NHL Rulebook@nhlrulebook

HBO 24/7 has also been canceled, after NHL owners insisted on renegotiating it down to 22/9.

#2163 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Roberto Luongo: "The only logical explanation I have for Gary canceling the Winter Classic is that he's banking on the Mayan calendar to pull through?"

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#2164 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Bettman and the owners showing once again that they don't give a sh*t about the NHL or its fans.

The Leafs would probably pay the 250k deposit for the winter classic themselves if they could. But then that would hurt the owners bargaining position. So obviously them winning this battle is more important to them than what's good for the league.

Edited by DeNiro, 02 November 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2165 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Year is toast. Players would rather sit out for a better CBA than play 50 or so games at this point. Nhl is toast cause they'll need a way to bring fans back

Edited by Here's Johnny, 02 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#2166 FloridianCanuck

FloridianCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

yeah now i am positive there wont be an NHL season

Winter Classic Cancelled.

The NHL Rulebook@nhlrulebook
HBO 24/7 has also been canceled, after NHL owners insisted on renegotiating it down to 22/9.

Posted Image

Huge thanks to Raynart for the EPIC sig

Posted Image Florida Panthers GM - Nhl 13 Xbox Gm Connected League

#2167 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I don't know why people are still directly blaming Bettman. Though, he is partially to blame, he clearly isn't the only one.
http://www.sportsbus...es/Bettman.aspx

Bettman serves at the owners’ request

Why don't people still don't understand that?

Edit: Was looking for a really good post on Hfboard, but it got deleted, probably by mods since that place has been taken over by the mods these days. Anyways, it compares all the leagues. NHL players make more than every other major league, despite being worth the least. Does that make sense? Owners have to shell out over 250M+ per year, and only gain a small percentage(about 1-5%) of money per year. How is that a good investment for Owners? It just doesn't make sense. The pressure should always been on the players, because right now. Players are the ones, who are losing a heft amount of money because they won't accept a pay cut. It'll take roughly 5 years for the Owners to lose the same amount of money, if this whole year was locked out. In other words; Player's gotta give, no matter what. That's what it has come to, and there's absolutely no pressure from the Owners to give in.

Edited by Rey, 02 November 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#2168 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Bettman and the owners showing once again that they don't give a sh*t about the NHL or its fans.

The Leafs would probably pay the 250k deposit for the winter classic themselves if they could. But then that would hurt the owners bargaining position. So obviously them winning this battle is more important to them than what's good for the league.

Once again the owners show the players they are not hurt financially by cancelling the "Dub C". The player should see this as an act of power by the great OWNERS and their mighty dollar sign hammer. Player's had the chance to get the full season in and they passed so don't complain or point fingers to the beloved owners who bring the team to your city, province or state. Blame the player that is leaving for Europe hahaa

#2169 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Horrbile decision to cancel their only effective marketing tool. I mean when everyone is hungover on Jan 1st, the only thing worth watching is the WC which is broadcast nationwide. Shameful Bettman, just shooting yourselves in the foot. Beyond the maybe 50 players between the Redwings and Leafs, I don't think the players give two *stuff* if the WC is cancelled.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2170 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I know Bettman just represents the owners, but I am really starting to wonder if its more than that. Its almost like he's brainwashed the owners into his devious plan. Yes, I do believe this is all pre-planned. At this point that plan involves cancelling the season, but not before toying with the NHLPA some more

This person really cracks me up:

Count Bettman@CountBettman

Winter Classic cancelled!!! Hey Columbus.... you're next! AH AH AH AH AH

Count Bettman@CountBettman
Excellent news!!! I just cancelled the NYC Marathon!! I'm on fire today!!

#2171 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Horrbile decision to cancel their only effective marketing tool. I mean when everyone is hungover on Jan 1st, the only thing worth watching is the WC which is broadcast nationwide. Shameful Bettman, just shooting yourselves in the foot. Beyond the maybe 50 players between the Redwings and Leafs, I don't think the players give two *stuff* if the WC is cancelled.

So you don't think the player's are getting nervous about all these cancellations? Jarome Iginla is set to have lost 22M+ in his contract. It's a reality check. Owner's call the shots and it's always been that way. It will always be that way. Players are losing their paychecks, shortening their careers. For what? Players who have spoken to the media have no idea what's going on and are just listening to Fehr's nonsense.

#2172 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I know Bettman just represents the owners, but I am really starting to wonder if its more than that. Its almost like he's brainwashed the owners into his devious plan. Yes, I do believe this is all pre-planned. At this point that plan involves cancelling the season, but not before toying with the NHLPA some more

You could say the same exact thing about Fehr. Only difference is that the Owners are smart enough to think for themselves, while the players ....well that's a different story. You wonder how many are even paying attention, a lot have already gone to Europe. You really think they 100% know what's going on?

Both sides are terrible, but there's no good end game for the players. Eventually they'll have to give in, and when they're old. They'll regret this ever happening.

Edited by Rey, 02 November 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#2173 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

So you don't think the player's are getting nervous about all these cancellations? Jarome Iginla is set to have lost 22M+ in his contract. It's a reality check. Owner's call the shots and it's always been that way. It will always be that way. Players are losing their paychecks, shortening their careers. For what? Players who have spoken to the media have no idea what's going on and are just listening to Fehr's nonsense.

Lmao, where are you getting this Iginla losing 22m nonsense?

WC is pure profit and marketing for the owners, as I stated it's the one time a year you might actually get some southern markets to watch a hockey game. Look at Luongo's twitter, check out the article on the Senators thoughts about the cancellation, bottom line is players could give a sh-- if the WC was cancelled.

Judging by the players multitude of different responses from the NHLs last proposal, I'd say the players have a mind for themselves. However, this being a lockout and not a strike, it is best for the players to stand united, and when dealing with guys who have for their lifetime believed in the team aspect, it's a pretty indestructible force.

I still don't understand why you clowns think the owners require your support, when their decisions are unilateral, not taking into consideration any of their fan base. Supporting the owners is counter intuitive.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2174 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

WC is pure profit and marketing for the owners, as I stated it's the one time a year you might actually get some southern markets to watch a hockey game. Look at Luongo's twitter, check out the article on the Senators thoughts about the cancellation, bottom line is players could give a sh-- if the WC was cancelled.

Judging by the players multitude of different responses from the NHLs last proposal, I'd say the players have a mind for themselves. However, this being a lockout and not a strike, it is best for the players to stand united, and when dealing with guys who have for their lifetime believed in the team aspect, it's a pretty indestructible force.

I still don't understand why you clowns think the owners require your support, when their decisions are unilateral, not taking into consideration any of their fan base. Supporting the owners is counter intuitive.

Unfortunately, if you had a brain. You would know that the NHL Owners aren't Bettman aren't going to move unless Fehr gives in. The players lose much more. Neither party gives a crap about the fans.

It's the players move. You wanna stand still? Fine. Season's over. Cry all year about losing a bit of money, they'll end up losing even more by not playing the year.

Edited by Rey, 02 November 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#2175 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Rey, surely you understand that owners are responsible for the contracts they sign, right? If they think players are getting too much they could stop giving them ridiculous contracts. They can spend to the floor and not the ceiling. If owning a NHL team is a bad investment that's on them as the one who knew that going in but did it anyway. No sense complaining if your lemon team is still a lemon after you buy it.

Yes, players are (and should be) nervous about the lost revenue, but so should the owners. If they are really doing as badly as they try to say (read back a few pages for proof that's a lie) they will be even more hurt by the lost revenue and potential backlash from fans.

You seem to think it's the players' fault we're here and the NHL thanks you. That's what their expensive (how can they afford it if they're poor?!) PR firm wants you to think not because they care about fans but because they know pissed fans don't spend money. They want you to forget they locked out the players even though the players offered to play under the old CBA until a deal was reached, which would have been better financially for all involved and owners could have asked for a binding no-job-action agreement to ensure players wouldn't later strike. They want you to forget they are the ones turning down offers to negotiate. They want you to forget their first proposal, by all accounts, was never meant to be taken seriously despite being offered with an ultimatum and being followed by a lockout. They want you to forget they are coming off years of record setting revenue despite the crappy economy. They want you to forget they offer less revenue sharing among teams than any other professional league despite the fact that small improvements in that alone could make most teams profitable. They want you to forget owners got everything they wanted last time and will in all likelihood lockout players again next time if they are yet again allowed to use it as a means to get what they want. They want you to forget that it was the owners who found ways around the rules they created last time. And they want you to simply push the players to just give in out of desperation for hockey now with no concern for how bad that will be for fans in the long term.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#2176 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I think it's a combination of 2 full seasons lost (1 happened, 1 potential), a partial season lost, and the rollback he took last time around.

I agree it still sounds a little high, though...

Edited by goalie13, 02 November 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Posted Image

#2177 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Rey, surely you understand that owners are responsible for the contracts they sign, right? If they think players are getting too much they could stop giving them ridiculous contracts. They can spend to the floor and not the ceiling. If owning a NHL team is a bad investment that's on them as the one who knew that going in but did it anyway. No sense complaining if your lemon team is still a lemon after you buy it.

Yes, players are (and should be) nervous about the lost revenue, but so should the owners. If they are really doing as badly as they try to say (read back a few pages for proof that's a lie) they will be even more hurt by the lost revenue and potential backlash from fans.

You seem to think it's the players' fault we're here and the NHL thanks you. That's what their expensive (how can they afford it if they're poor?!) PR firm wants you to think not because they care about fans but because they know pissed fans don't spend money. They want you to forget they locked out the players even though the players offered to play under the old CBA until a deal was reached, which would have been better financially for all involved and owners could have asked for a binding no-job-action agreement to ensure players wouldn't later strike. They want you to forget they are the ones turning down offers to negotiate. They want you to forget their first proposal, by all accounts, was never meant to be taken seriously despite being offered with an ultimatum and being followed by a lockout. They want you to forget they are coming off years of record setting revenue despite the crappy economy. They want you to forget they offer less revenue sharing among teams than any other professional league despite the fact that small improvements in that alone could make most teams profitable. They want you to forget owners got everything they wanted last time and will in all likelihood lockout players again next time if they are yet again allowed to use it as a means to get what they want. They want you to forget that it was the owners who found ways around the rules they created last time. And they want you to simply push the players to just give in out of desperation for hockey now with no concern for how bad that will be for fans in the long term.

Unfortunately, this game is what it is. It's entertainment. Anyone who's been around hockey for some time now, know that the casual fan doesn't care about what happened in the past. The majority of people don't care about the politics of the game, they just watch the game. I'm on neither side, but it's clear that the Owners call the shots. That's just the way it's suppose to be. At the end of the day, once again, nothing will happen until the players give in. Essentially, it's the best option they have. There's too much on the line for the players, not everyone can be a Sidney Crosby. They need to think outside the box, and think about the average NHL player and how the Average NHL player or Journeyman doesn't need this.

Edited by Rey, 02 November 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#2178 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Unfortunately, if you had a brain. You would know that the NHL Owners aren't Bettman aren't going to move unless Fehr gives in. The players lose much more. Neither party gives a crap about the fans.

Well petty insults, it seems I underestimated your inability to coherently convey a message. In all honesty your probably not worth this post, as it currently seems you are plugging your ears and stomping your feet like an 8 y/o.

The owners are the ones making the unreasonable demands. You state that it's the players that aren't moving, yet in their last offer which was actually 3 proposals, they came down to the 50/50 mark on all 3. What the players want is perfectly reasonable, and for anyone who has worked a sh---ty job, or been in a labour dispute, they are simply asking for their contracts to be honoured and for contractual freedoms to not be lost.

The owners have also moved, though as many have speculated their goal has always been the 50/50 mark, they're just taking the douchiest way to get there. I never equated Bettman to all owners, and it has long been said that not all owners support Bettman. The simple fact is the Owners made a terrible decision to cancel the WC 2 months ahead of schedule. Anyway who views this move as a strong arm attempt to force a new CBA clearly doesn't understand how labour disputes work.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2179 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well petty insults, it seems I underestimated your inability to coherently convey a message. In all honesty your probably not worth this post, as it currently seems you are plugging your ears and stomping your feet like an 8 y/o.

This. I have never taken you to be a serious poster because I've always seen you post with these immature insults. It's difficult to take you seriously at all. Just like your last paragraph. These guys make millions, but clearly they have no idea how to do their jobs yet, you claim to have better judgement.

Edited by Rey, 02 November 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#2180 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Edit: Was looking for a really good post on Hfboard, but it got deleted, probably by mods since that place has been taken over by the mods these days. Anyways, it compares all the leagues. NHL players make more than every other major league, despite being worth the least.

It may have been deleted because it was inaccurate.

According to the Toronto Sun (Source: http://www.torontosu...paring-the-cbas):

MLB
MINIMUM SALARY: $480,000
AVERAGE SALARY: $3.44 million
CAREER EARNINGS: $18.2 million
SALARY CAP: Baseball continues to be the only major league without a cap, however teams spending more than $178 million this season and next are assessed a luxury tax. Free spending clubs such as the New York Yankees will pay between 40% and 50% in tax the next two seasons.

NBA
MINIMUM SALARY: $473,604
AVERAGE SALARY: $5.276 million (2012-13 projection)
CAREER EARNINGS: $21.5 million
SALARY CAP: The soft cap is often exceeded. This year’s is set at $58.044 million per team, with a luxury tax height of $70.307 million. Any team whose salary exceeds the latter figure pays $1 for each $1 over the tax limit. The floor is $49.337 million.
PLAYERS SHARE OF REVENUES: Players get around 50% of revenues, down from 57% from the previous CBA.

NFL
MINIMUM SALARY: $390,000
AVERAGE SALARY: $1.1 million
CAREER EARNINGS: Between $2 million and $3 million based on an average career of 3.5 years.
SALARY CAP: $120.6 million, a figure that’s stayed about the same of late, though any unused cap money from 2011 can be rolled in and teams have permission to borrow up to $1.5 million from 2013’s cap.
PLAYERS SHARE OF REVENUES: In the last CBA, they lowered their request for 50% of revenues down to 47%, though retired players will get more money.

NHL (Under old CBA.)
MINIMUM SALARY: $525,000
AVERAGE SALARY: $2.4 million
CAREER EARNINGS: On current projections for average career length, a player could get between $12 million and $13 million.
SALARY CAP: Keeps going up as revenues climb, almost $31 million since 2005, to a projected $70.2 million if this season were played under the old CBA. The trouble is that small market teams have difficulty reaching the cap floor, projected at $54.3 million.
PLAYERS SHARE OF REVENUES: Now at 57% in the players’ favour, but they’ll have to accept below 50% to satisfy owners in next round.

Not only do those numbers show that the previous CBA was not completely out of line with what other major sports leagues had it also shows that NHL players' are not paid far beyond what players are paid in other leagues. In fact, while they may have the highest minimum salary they have the second lowest league average salary and second lowest career average salary.

They need to think outside the box, and think about the average NHL player and how the Average NHL player or Journeyman doesn't need this.

I'm pretty sure simply caving in again to demands that will hurt the lower salary players the most and even hurt those players not yet in the league is very much thinking INSIDE the box.

Edited by poetica, 02 November 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#2181 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Well, an update at least:

https://twitter.com/...488981226471424

As we just discussed on Sportscentre. NHL advised PA it will absorb share of Make Whole provision. This is a considerable concession.

#2182 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

That is movement, but it really just illustrates the fact that the NHL was lying to fans all along by pretending that they weren't rolling back salaries when they really were. They just think we're all too dumb to understand.

Still, any movement is good. So here's hoping!
Go, Canucks, Go!

#2183 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

This. I have never taken you to be a serious poster because I've always seen you post with these immature insults. It's difficult to take you seriously at all. Just like your last paragraph. These guys make millions, but clearly they have no idea how to do their jobs yet, you claim to have better judgement.

Lol 'these immature insults' when you write 'if you had half a brain'... lmao, don't cry because my stab was better than yours.

Find me one business person who can support the owners move to cancel the WC 2 months ahead of it's date. Find me someone experienced in labour disputes who views the cancellation as a smart move.

I've never claimed to have better judgement, I just claim to use logic.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2184 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Not only do those numbers show that the previous CBA was not completely out of line with what other major sports leagues had it also shows that NHL players' are not paid far beyond what players are paid in other leagues. In fact, while they may have the highest minimum salary they have the second lowest league average salary and second lowest career average salary.

It's missing the key numbers, and that is what the leagues are worth. Do the NHL make the least amount?

#2185 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Well wether its caving diving whining and even pouting Fehr will have to listen to the average player...and it will be sooner than later....Not everyone is gonna be getting big escrow cheques lol

NATIONAL POST

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr met with a group of players in Minnesota on Monday night and acknowledged in an interview with the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that some of his constituents are concerned about lost wages that are mounting during the lockout.

#2186 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

When I look at Fehr and Bettman, I see two very different people.

Fehr has organized a phone app to collect, share and update players and allow for their input. He's simply organised and mobilised the players so they can all communicate their views from wherever they are. He's not telling the players what to do. Many players have come out an said honour our contracts. He's just passing the message along via the NHLPA offers. They've asked to get back to the table with no conditions attached. What else could they do, other than accept the crappy NHL offer?

Bettman on the other hand is more of a dictator. He's silenced the owners from saying anything, and in fact, I expect Melknyk to get fined for his harmless comments. Bettman isn't even representing half the owners I'll bet. Make no mistake that he's running the show and has complete power based on a "minority" of the board and the governing rules. We need to do away with this dictatorship style leadership before everything is in ruins.

#2187 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Just a question... Did you have Jason Garrison in your Sig while he was a panther?

I'll answer your question with another: would I have a picture of him from his summer media appearances in it if I did?

I'll stop you though, before you try and draw an incorrect conclusion based on the fact that I didn't have him there until after he became a Canuck.

My allegiances for hockey teams lies with the Canucks because of my geographical location. I became more than a casual fan of the team because I became invested in players like Thomas Gradin, Richard Brodeur, Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, etc. since I was able to watch them closely. Without those players to cheer, I would have been more a fan of hockey that probably liked the Canucks, but well could have had a different favourite team.

I was also a fan of other teams growing up. When they weren't playing the Canucks, I liked to cheer for teams like the Bruins (due to Ray Bourque) and the Kings (due to Marcel Dionne). I don't cheer for them any more - but it's not because those teams recently beat us in the playoffs, rather because those players have moved on and I stopped liking those teams as much.

I also liked other players (Ron Hextall, Dale Hawerchuck, Andy Moog) and watched them play wherever they went. I followed Paul Karyia's career as we went to the same high school when he played for Penticton because I was invested in him as a player.

I still have other players I'm a fan of on other teams now, and it has little to do with who they play for.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2188 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,688 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

In response to Fehr's letter saying it was unnecessary for the NHL to cancel the Winter Classic: Well, if you had accepted that freaking proposal, then we wouldn't talking about cancelling the Winter Classic! Derp......

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2189 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's missing the key numbers, and that is what the leagues are worth. Do the NHL make the least amount?

Yes, the NHL generates the least amount of revenue (at least as far as we know....they won't release their numbers from last season despite having them...wonder why that is). And? The players' share is determined as a percentage and "given that NFL players were receiving 54% of their league revenues at the time while basketball players received 57% of their league revenues, it seems a little insulting to ask an intelligent consumer to believe that the NHL’s arrival at this 54-57% range was not influenced at all by industry standards set in the NFL and NBA." (Source: http://www.forbes.co...f-nhl-revenues/)

So, they set the numbers according to what was standard in other sports leagues at the time. This time around, 50% is more the industry standard and players have already said they would drop to that. They have only asked that their contracts be honored as the owners signed them, not a rolled back version that allows owners to promise one thing and then merely months later say they'll actually be paying much less. That's bad faith negotiating. It's bad for player/owner relations in the future and frankly it should be bad for fan/league relations. Why should the richest people in the world be held to a lower standard than any quilt making grandma on Judge Judy?
Go, Canucks, Go!

#2190 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

That is movement, but it really just illustrates the fact that the NHL was lying to fans all along by pretending that they weren't rolling back salaries when they really were. They just think we're all too dumb to understand.

Still, any movement is good. So here's hoping!

That, and they were lying about it being their best possible offer, wanting only to have tweaks. Actually protecting the players' salaries like the NFL and NBA did in their last agreements is a significant move.

Having said that, I'll wait to hear the details of what they consider absorbing their share of the make whole provision.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.