The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Team had to work within the confines of a cap in the last CBA as well, and they exploited a loophole with long contract lengths but sharp dropoffs in salary to ensure the players had reasonable cap hits.

That's the point, you can't have something so open to interpretation or it will be exploited and we'll be back in the same boat with the owners complaining they can't afford the rising costs of player salaries and team expenses.

So...because I don't understand union contracts like you (even though in my youth I helped start a union at a fast food place) I am ignorant to the basic facts of life? Wow...talk about...

You know..it's all about economics...not many people go into a business to lose money.

The owners (and league) are in this to make money - not lose it.

Sorry...my heart does not bleed for the money these players are whining about.

It bleeds for the average person out there struggling to make ends meet.

To those who are directly affected by this lockout - those that have lost their jobs...or have reduced hours...thanks to these players.

Oh...rollback? Really? The rest of us workers are in that same place. You do realize that our economy, though maybe out of the recession, is very fragile?

"Canadians are not doing so well on the issue of net worth, either. While slightly higher, household net worth is below 2008 levels once inflation is taken into account, and income growth has also fallen below the rate of inflation this past year. That means Canadians are poorer and their disposable income is now declining."

Where I work, the guys on my team haven't had an increase in years and we have been told there won't be one next year - even though our numbers are up - and we are profitable. Imagine that - company is making more money but is being cautious as far as sharing the revenue increase.

Provost...it really is unecessary to attack characters of posters and make presumptions about them. We all come from different backrounds, experiences and opinions. Addressing the points made and making counterpoints and enlightening us would be more effective and productive to this thread.

I think you should look up the definition of ignorant if you think it is a nasty attack on someone's character:

IGNORANT: Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

In this case it was someone being wilfully ignorant. A simple google of a phrase "how much business revenue goes on salaries" would come up with dozens of sites which give ranges which show 40-80% depending on the business type.

If you look at my posts, I make an effort to do a little research and give content when making posts. I think the quality of the threads would be much better served by people taking a few seconds to check into their made up facts before posting.

So rather than contribute to the thread you attack my character - why not just disagree and say you're pro players?

I also never said the owners were right - way to jump to conclusions.

The "little" guy is not the players.

The "little" guy is the Zamboni driver, the concession stand worker, the security guards, the maintenance workers, the retail workers, etc...etc....

This game was way better 1995 and older - as I said in a previous post.

The solution is simple - pay for performance.

"wilfully ignorant" again making presumptions about someone's character and intentions...while you may go about life conducting yourself in that manner, it may have not been Heretic's intent to do so nor in his character to do so. Kudos to you for trying to be more thorough but still does not warrant name calling or belittling others.

Yes - I didn't say they should have taken the first offer - but yes, now I am demanding that they take this one - I want to watch the Canucks - I moved back to BC so now I am in the correct "zone" for Sportsnet Pacific - hated living in Alberta as Sportsnet Pacific was blacked out like 99% of the time for me.

I don't care who benefits between the owners nor the players - if they don't like the deal - then they can go play somewhere else or own a team in a different league. Myself? I won't stop cheering for the Canucks - never ever.

I make no assumptions at all.

- He made a post name calling a huge number of people and very harshly judging them

- He based his argument on something that wasn't true.

- I did a little experiment on google to test how easy it would have been for him to actually check to see whether what he was spouting was true or not. It took me less than 10 seconds to come up with the answer. Less than a minute to find and read detailed information on the subject.

Those are objective facts and not assumptions. The evidence shows that he is ignorant. I, and I think most reasonable people, would suggest that if you are spouting off falsehoods that you could have easily clarified with a few seconds effort... that is wilful ignorance.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Who says it's unfair? The players? The owners?

You forget the old cliche - there are 3 sides to every story - yours, theirs and the truth.

As far as being selfish and shortsighted - so?

Are you telling me that you are willing to wait for the players to have a "fair" deal?

If yes - then why are you even here on a hockey forum?

Why don't you go watch cricket or something?

If no - then stop judging me.

:lol:

I think it's unfair as well as a good number of other people far more knowledgeable about this than you or I.

I don't think you should assume what I have or haven't forgotten.

You're certainly entitled to those selfish view. I'm also entitled to point them out when you make them public.

Yes I am willing to wait for hockey for them to agree on a deal that is fair to both sides. I don't LIKE it but I appreciate that my own selfish interests are of smaller concern than an entire industry and leagues.

Because I'm a Canuck/hockey fan and I don't like cricket.

If you don't want your selfish, ignorant and short sighted comments to be scrutinized or judged I suggest you stop posting them on a public forum.

Archived