#2251 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Would you support a NHL Luxury cap?

I say yes. All teams over the cap midpoint (assuming we have a similar CBA to the last one)

#2252 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,500 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

@TedStarkey
In case you're curious, the NBA lockout tentatively ended 26 days after the regular season was slated to begin. NHL is on Day 24 Sunday.

307mg00.jpg

#2253 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Does anyone know if December is the absolute earliest the season can start? Like if they reached a deal mid next week, could we get playing around November 20th ish?

Prior to the start of the season, most people were speculating that December was the most likely start. Based on recent events, it would appear that it is indeed leaning towards december.

#2254 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Also ppl in New York or Columbus are much more interested seeing a game against PHX more than agians WPG. Most ppl in the states have never even heard of a place named Winnipeg. A PHX team may lose money but gives the league much more credibility to casual (American) hockey fans. Same goes with Miami.

That's probably true. But that also means that the league as a whole has to be willing to pay for it. If it's a business decision to put teams in known crappy markets for the overall benefits, the NHL has to be willing to take responsibility for that business decision instead of asking players to take the hit for it. That kind of business model makes team revenue sharing a must.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#2255 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ok, lets do a 49/49 split and throw a really big party for the fans, sponsors and arena staff that got screwed. 1% from either side won't affect the bottom line much. I call that advertising and good business sense, or a half baked apology.

#2256 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Does anyone know if December is the absolute earliest the season can start? Like if they reached a deal mid next week, could we get playing around November 20th ish?

Prior to the start of the season, most people were speculating that December was the most likely start. Based on recent events, it would appear that it is indeed leaning towards december.

I don't know of any official information that would confirm it, but I would assume they would have trouble rescheduling cancelled games. When they were cancelled that released the arenas to be scheduled for other events, so at least some of the previous dates would no longer be available and if all of the cancelled games couldn't be reschedule it's likely they would just all be skipped. So, since they've cancelled all of November I would assume December 1 would be the first possible start date. But again, that's just my guess.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#2257 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

I would not. Perhaps because I'm old enough to remember when the Canucks depended on the NHL welfare system to pay the bills. I remember when the Canucks were talked about being moved out of the city because the PC was half empty. I also remember the CAD$ at .65 US.

The US economy is recovering, as it gets better the US $ will strengthen and the Canucks not be as profitable as they are now.

It was not always thus.

I only ask this because it would be a way for teams like the Canucks to cope with the darastic drop in salary cap after this year thats proposed in the CBA.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#2258 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

That's probably true. But that also means that the league as a whole has to be willing to pay for it. If it's a business decision to put teams in known crappy markets for the overall benefits, the NHL has to be willing to take responsibility for that business decision instead of asking players to take the hit for it. That kind of business model makes team revenue sharing a must.

I believe the NHL has been doing what you suggest they should. PHX has been run by and paid for by the league for the past few years.

And the league does have revenue sharing. They have proposed $200 million in revenue sharing for the 2012/13 season.

#2259 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I need to get out the calculator... does 200m/20 teams put the lower teams in the green? I'm not being sarcastic, I didn't look yet? And if it did, then for how long?

#2260 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Still on... Optimistic?
“@aaronward_nhl: According to source, CBA meetings still taking place at this hour. #TSN”
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#2261 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Pretty sure, they've both either been drugged and locked in a room by Bettman and Donald Fehr, watching every star wars movie, or there's a secret afehr, we don't know about

#2262 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

After all this I hope they at least made some progress.
Posted Image

#2263 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I believe the NHL has been doing what you suggest they should. PHX has been run by and paid for by the league for the past few years.

And the league does have revenue sharing. They have proposed $200 million in revenue sharing for the 2012/13 season.

"Proposed" is the operative word isn't it? And it still puts their revenue sharing below other leagues.

And yes they are paying for Phoenix at the expense of other teams by allowing them to get revenue share money without meeting the same requirements other teams had to. That sounds less like taking full responsibility for all teams and more like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Oh, and they're using Phoenix's losses to claim to need more from players.

Gizmo, $200M team revenue sharing could make most teams at least break even. The problem is we don't know how it will be shared if they create the proposed revenue sharing committee that will decide which teams get what.

Edited by poetica, 03 November 2012 - 09:55 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#2264 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

So its almost 1am where they are and they are still in talks....wow.
I heard they started around noon today, so thats a long day.

One has to assume thats a great sign, you don't continue talks that late, unless progress is being made.
But you can never tell with these guys.

#2265 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

"Proposed" is the operative word isn't it? And it still puts their revenue sharing below other leagues.

And yes the are paying for Phoenix at the expense of other teams by allowing them to get revenue share money without meeting the same requirements other teams had to. That sounds less like taking full responsibility for all teams and more like robbing Peter to pay Paul

Gizmo, it could make most teams at least break even. The problem is we don't know how it will be shared if they create the proposed revenue sharing committee that will decide which teams get what.

There already is revenue sharing in place, proposed $200 million for next year.

google simple info before engaging ppl in discussion. waste of my time replying to you.

#2266 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

#2267 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Imagine if this 'meeting' was actually a very intense poker tournament lol.

#2268 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

This has to be a positive sign. They've been meeting for hours.

#2269 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Probably over tonight.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#2270 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Probably over tonight.

beginning of the end.

I think the major issue of making whole existing contracts and 50-50 split is resolved.

Other issues and getting the lawyers to put it on paper will take a couple of days. training camp by end of week.

#2271 forever_hope

forever_hope

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Anyone got more info on this meeting? The only thing I've seen is Aaron Ward's tweets that this meeting is still going on. If this really is the case, it's a pretty big deal cause there's no reason they would be talking at this hour if there hasn't been really good progress.. Shouldn't there be more coverage though? Or maybe I'm just a lot less busier than the insiders on a Saturday night..
Posted Image

#2272 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

^^ neither side is leaking anything to the media. good sign. insiders don't know anything more than we do.

#2273 forever_hope

forever_hope

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Yeah but shouldn't there be more people talking/speculating about it? I'll admit I don't know too much about the whole thing but I'm even more intrigued this about this meeting than the original 50/50 proposal a few weeks back.
Posted Image

#2274 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yeah but shouldn't there be more people talking/speculating about it? I'll admit I don't know too much about the whole thing but I'm even more intrigued this about this meeting than the original 50/50 proposal a few weeks back.

Probably because most insiders are asleep right now. I'm sure we will hear more about it in the morning.
Posted Image

#2275 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

please god let there be hockey so i can go back to watching 25hours of hockey a week instead of listening to my wife talk about nothing.

#2276 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Mobile

#2277 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Funny that this happens on Daylight Savings.

#2278 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

yeah but it's 130am in the east at the time of your post, most "insiders" are based in TO. You'll hear plenty in the morning. Sure to get some leaks as well. Should be lots of info to make you happy,

#2279 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Donald Fehr has a war to win for himself and will not give in. He has brainwashed the players here and the whole season may go down the drain. What's really sad is that the players are greedy and foolish enough to believe him.
They need a reality check and need to smarten up they are making a big mistake.

#2280 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Donald Fehr has a war to win for himself and will not give in. He has brainwashed the players here and the whole season may go down the drain. What's really sad is that the players are greedy and foolish enough to believe him.
They need a reality check and need to smarten up they are making a big mistake.

Cleary a qualified and informed statement... you're drooling.

Anyways, this should be taken as the NHL making a major concession in the 'make whole' provision and the escrow definition. This is the kind of movement necessary towards a deal being made, and I'm fully of the belief that the players should make the next concession. We're close.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.