The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Gotta say I'm really proud of the players. The owners are completely full of it and are not interested in real negotiations. For the owners this is all about their bloated egos and far right wing ideology. That's it. The players are the only ones interested in making a fair deal and creating a structure to grow the game in the future. Good for them!

It's sad to see how many posters on here have bought in to the owner's propaganda, though.

The number of people falling for the "golden mean" fallacy is astonishing. At the end of the day, it's completely unfair that the owners locked the players out. The players already negotiate for contracts in an artificially restricted marketplace, and now the owners want to tighten the cap so that a team in Arizona can make money without assistance. It's bizarre.

I'm not really on either side of this, I can't take the owners side because they are asking players to give up money promised by contract. The owners were also allowing their GMs to offer those ridiculous contract in the summer but are now trying to reduce contract lengths which seems contradictory.

But at the same time the players are getting paid millions to play a game that they supposedly love to play, if they really cared so much about the game they would have not hired Donald Fehr to play hardball against the owners and risk the loss of another season, they should have known what they were getting themselves into.

But all in all, this is how the lockout is summed up to me, millionaires fighting with billionaires while giving the fans and other NHL employees (area workers and such) the finger.

Gotta say I'm really proud of the players.  The owners are completely full of it and are not interested in real negotiations.  For the owners this is all about their bloated egos and far right wing ideology.  That's it.  The players are the only ones interested in making a fair deal and creating a structure to grow the game in the future.  Good for them!

It's sad to see how many posters on here have bought in to the owner's propaganda, though.

The number of people falling for the "golden mean" fallacy is astonishing. At the end of the day, it's completely unfair that the owners locked the players out. The players already negotiate for contracts in an artificially restricted marketplace, and now the owners want to tighten the cap so that a team in Arizona can make money without assistance. It's bizarre.

I still like my proposal from like a month ago...

Neither side is 100% "right". All this "us or them" is ridiculous. BOTH sides need to make concessions.

Owners:

-Need to accept more revenue sharing to "poor" teams for the health of the league and not rely entirely on the players (reducing their share) to better fund poor teams.

-Need to accept a more gradual player percentage reduction and something ending up a LOT closer to 50%.

Players:

-Need to accept a gradual reduction in profit share (to ensure league health and hence more jobs for their "brothers").

-Need to except contract term limits (to save the owners from themselves sadly).

I say go for an 8 year deal with a 1% reduction in revenue every year. You start at the current 57% going to 56% and end up at 49% in the final year of the agreement (where it should stay IMO). With rising league revenues this should have little to no overall effect on player salaries.

Owner can increase profit sharing at say half the rate. They give 1% more every other year which mean rich teams get more profit and poor teams get more help gradually.

Allow teams the option to calculate cap hits of players currently under contract with either the appropriate % reduction if they're a cap limit team or by the original values if they're a cap basement team.

I don't know about completely unfair. If they continued to play under the terms of the expired CBA while negotiating a new deal, the players could possibly stage a strike right before the playoffs which is the owner's most lucrative time of year. Fehr did this with baseball a couple of times.

It's completely within the rights of the owners to lock the players out just as would have been completely within the players' rights to strike. It's just that the NHL / owners pulled the trigger first.

It's not just about Arizona either. I believe they are trying to make it so as many southern teams as possible can survive in the markets they are in, all in the pursuit of that big U.S. TV contract they are probably never going to get.

The players are acting like buffoons here and are completely overplaying their hand. They have absolutely ZERO leverage. 3/4 of the teams in the league are losing money, so cancelling a season to get a better deal is obviously a no-brainer.

How they believe playing hardball is going to get them the deal they want is beyond me. Owners know what their bottom line is, they made an offer that was close to it in their last proposal, and instead of going for tweaks the players tried to change too much. The players and Fehr should just try to find where the bottom line is now before they lose the season, because if the season is lost the offers from the owners will continue to get worse.

In the 94 lockout the league demanded a cap system, the players resisted with a year lockout before caving in for a terrible deal. This time around it's 50/50 the owners want, give it to them and take what you can before you lose even more. Yes the owners are dicks, we all know this. And yes they should be compromising more, but they aren't going to start, regardless of how long the players decide to hold out. The longer this goes on the worse the deal will get.

Greed - is the inordinate desire to possess wealth, goods, or objects of abstract value with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort. It is applied to a markedly high desire for and pursuit of wealth, status, and power.

This. Fehr would have continued to not negotiate and then gone on strike during the playoffs, so while it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, how disappointing would it have been to watch the regular season and not have the playoffs or Stanley Cup?

Well in the end between the two proposals the basic issue is that the owners want to get to 50/50 starting immediately.... the players want to have that reduction to the same split gradually come over the next 3-4 years.

Pretty tough to side with the owners as that with the basic argument

Archived