The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

The owners got the deal they wanted after the last lockout and have increased 31 million because of increased revenue since the previous lockout and now they claim there is no way they can operate under the agreement they wanted ?

Maybe its time we started trimming the fat and eliminate a few of the franchises that the 7 Canadian teams have kept going through the shared revenue.

The owners cant seem to stop themselves from approving these stupid contracts there GMs are handing out and now need to create a work stoppage because of it

This is SOOO selfish on both sides. I understand the players have to stand up for themselves, but they get paid 7-figures to play hockey for a living!

The average person makes 40-60k/year, it takes less than a month for an average NHL player to make that.

Just yuck! This league constantly has fans focusing on the wrong thing. Both of Bettman's press releases: their first proposal, and now the Sept. 15 date look just plain gross.

How are the players' supposed to react to such blatantly confrontational behaviour? Guess what? No hockey next year.

As if the shoddy refereeing, last two lockouts, ridiculous, incongruous rule changes, and the shady business ethics of some of these owners wasn't enough.

We now have to see our favourite game wrestled over AGAIN, by a bunch of whiny millionaires that have NO idea how it looks to the rest of us.

Get over yourselves, and get negotiating. Make a fair deal and get back to work. Us fans are getting TIRED of all the sideshow rigamorale!

Most of all get rid of Bettman. His confrontational style and lack of charisma has him as the central focus, BOOOOOO, every time the Stanley Cup gets handed out.

I for one can't believe we are headed for another lockout, and it appears as if, rather than trying to avoid one, Bettman and the owners are inviting one.

Didn't they win the last CBA hands down? This is their contract for F sakes. Now they want more?

Freakin' BOOOOOOOOOO!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

He has the power to veto anything the players want or the majority of owners want if he has the backing of 8 owners, he also has the power to fine heavily anyone in the NHL (owner, player, coach) for saying anything detrimental to the league, and guess who singlehandedly decides if the comment made is detrimental?

Please tell one important decision that Bettman can make completely independently that would significantly impact labor negotiations without going to the owners to get their majority approval first, then try to tell me he isn't a puppet figure.

I remember back when the canadian dollar sucked that Canadian fans felt VERY different about revenue sharing. Just saying. I don't understand how people can, for example, say that weaker teams shoudl be folded, and then complain about the original Jets franchise leaving. It was the smallest market when it left.

yes but correct me if I am remembering wrong, but Winnipeg was NEVER owned by the NHL for numerous years. There is a big difference between A smaller market CDN team not being able to compete with a stronger American dollar, and a team that has NO BUSINESS having an NHL team because no one in the desert actually cares about hockey! Also where was Bettman and the NHL when Winnipeg and Quebec where in trouble? Why didn't the NHL buy them? Oh yeah I forgot because having hockey in places in the STATES that don't give a crap is more important then saving a weak marketed CDN team!

Archived