The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

OK, fine. Lets pretend we actally have a say and we come to an agreement. Player costs come down over time as you propose.

Are you willing to send in a percentage of your monthly earnings as a donation to cover the loses? Are you willing to do what you are asking the owners to do? Are you going to pay for my entetainment.

Why do you feel you are entitled to someone else taking millions in loses for your entertainment? I don't understand this one simple question.

The reason you continue to not understand it is because you refuse to look at how the NHL BOG runs the league. You continue to act as if revenue sharing was the players idea. It was not. They are simply asking for a short term increase to cover the current shortfall. There are no loses to provide entertainment as the NHL is hugely profitable as a whole. Individual franchises lose money in some seasons because the NHL decided to mandate that there be a minimum player cost to each team at a set deviation from the mean.

Has it not occurred to you that the league could solve the same problem just as easily by changing the cap and floor threshold by more than the $8 million variation ( ie. salary average $60 mil, floor $52 mil, cap $68 mil) as has been done over this last CBA? Why have you not asked yourself why they do not change the threshold to, say, $15 mil thereby allowing the poorer teams to save an additional $7 mil? It's because of the desire for parity of talent to allow the expansion city teams to generate interest so that they can grow league wide revenue.

The NHL is not free market. It is collusion. And the owners want it that way. Once you can accept this fact you will see that your arguments are not for this operating arena they are for a different model.

I'm asking myself if it's possible to have reasonable discussion with someone who believes in such conspiratorial theories.

NHLPA has access to all paperwork, this would be on the front page of your local daily every day of the week it true.

I don't think its a legitimate argument to make, there is absolutely no evidence of this. Its just so far fetched to start a collusion argument.

If you have evidence it would of great value, I wouldn't post it on here, I would immediately contact all news agencies and offer it up to the highest bidder.

Savages fighting over our cash. Using the PR battle to sway our emotions back and forth. I am on the brink of walking away from this BS. Why should we care when the league and players are still %*$$¥ footing around and not caring about us. Game over user wins! Us fans being the user.

The players are acting like buffoons here and are completely overplaying their hand. They have absolutely ZERO leverage. 3/4 of the teams in the league are losing money, so cancelling a season to get a better deal is obviously a no-brainer.

How they believe playing hardball is going to get them the deal they want is beyond me. Owners know what their bottom line is, they made an offer that was close to it in their last proposal, and instead of going for tweaks the players tried to change too much. The players and Fehr should just try to find where the bottom line is now before they lose the season, because if the season is lost the offers from the owners will continue to get worse.

In the 94 lockout the league demanded a cap system, the players resisted with a year lockout before caving in for a terrible deal. This time around it's 50/50 the owners want, give it to them and take what you can before you lose even more. Yes the owners are dicks, we all know this. And yes they should be compromising more, but they aren't going to start, regardless of how long the players decide to hold out. The longer this goes on the worse the deal will get.

The reason you continue to not understand it is because you refuse to look at how the NHL BOG runs the league. You continue to act as if revenue sharing was the players idea. It was not. They are simply asking for a short term increase to cover the current shortfall. There are no loses to provide entertainment as the NHL is hugely profitable as a whole. Individual franchises lose money in some seasons because the NHL decided to mandate that there be a minimum player cost to each team at a set deviation from the mean.

Has it not occurred to you that the league could solve the same problem just as easily by changing the cap and floor threshold by more than the $8 million variation ( ie. salary average $60 mil, floor $52 mil, cap $68 mil) as has been done over this last CBA? Why have you not asked yourself why they do not change the threshold to, say, $15 mil thereby allowing the poorer teams to save an additional $7 mil? It's because of the desire for parity of talent to allow the expansion city teams to generate interest so that they can grow league wide revenue.

The NHL is not free market. It is collusion. And the owners want it that way. Once you can accept this fact you will see that your arguments are not for this operating arena they are for a different model.

The players offered to go straight to 50-50 right now. But the owners would have to pay their signed contracts in full.

They negotiated those contracts in good faith.

Craig Leipold signed Parise and Suter to those massive deals in July. Then 2 months later Leipold is playing a huge role in taking some of that money back. :picard:

Really? Is this after the offers earlier today or was it one of the three?

I wonder how something like that would play out. Guys would still have their huge contracts, but the rest of the roster would be filled with kids and plugs to get under the cap?

I kind of liked the idea of a decreasing percentage until they got to 50/50. That way hopefully there would be increases in revenue to off-set the decreases in the players' share. Everyone wins?

What a mess this all is.

Some of these player lovers or players themselves can twist it all anyway they want its all just nhlpa propaganda.

An unknown number of players lead by greedy spoiled weasels like Jonathan Toews are clearly to blame here through and through while the average player likely would take this latest deal from the owners in a heartbeat and get back on the ice and enjoy the game and lifestyle they and love and that sets them up for life its a shame.

Players have it made through and through and are clearly spoiled and clearly ungreatful. Like many have said and its very valid give me a chance to play for this deal i would be the happiest guy on earth and be greatful for the opportunity!

Put on a pedestal once considered a good prospect, playing the game they love and working out in the gym for competing for the best sports prize in sports the Stanley Cup making buckets of money traveling North America with buddies on the team then having off seasons spending time with family traveling the world, dating and marrying beautiful women, buying every toy imaginable and mansions then investing and retiring someday and being set up for life with money earned playing a damn game.

Wow they better not give back they are hard done by aren't they! Lol what a joke!

Lol anybody who sides with the players 100% has to either be a fool or one of the spoiled greedy players.

Archived