The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Lorentjd, I am going to simplify things for you here.

In theory, 50/50 sharing would work, except for the %12 reduction in salary. Why, you say? because if you are hired and negotiated a contract to perform a specific job. Than those who dealt the contract with you come back a mere couple weeks/months later and told you sorry we can't pay you and now you have to take a %12 reduction. You would not call it a haircut.

I am just as frustrated as you with both sides on this but how is that fair to have one side unwilling to keep the promise and in good faith with there dealings. I for one don't blame players who have said they may not return if this is the case. If my employer was doing this to me I would look elsewhere too. And you can take your "haircut" analogy out the door because it is so far off what it really means.

In theory, 50/50 sharing would work, except for the %12 reduction in salary. Why, you say? because if you are hired and negotiated a contract to perform a specific job. Than those who dealt the contract with you come back a mere couple weeks/months later and told you sorry we can't pay you and now you have to take a %12 reduction. You would not call it a haircut.

If I signed a contract and my employer wanted to cut my pay, contrary to the contract, I'd be pissed. But NHL contracts are subject to whatever CBA is in place at the time. A new CBA could result in payments that are higher or lower than those stipulates in a player's contract.

Now, if player contracts said that the stipulated salaries were not subject to a CBA (and that the salaries would be paid regardless of what a CBA said), then that would be a different story. But that's not how these professional player contracts work -- they are all subject to an overriding CBA and, as I understand it, every one of those contracts were signed with that proviso in the contracts.

That all being said, mathematically, most players will be worse off losing an entire season of income, even if the league eventually agrees to a CBA with a 57% cut going to the players, than to take the league's 50-50 deal.

i dont know how the players can look themselves in the mirror when they say "we dont see why the nhl needs a salary reduction".

gee maybe look at how many franchises are in financial trouble?

new jersey

dallas

phoenix

Sanjose (has never made money despite its attendance)

LA (same as sanjose)

anaheim

carolina

colombus

florida

tampa bay

colorado (not quite yet but they are drawing significantly less fans than 5 years ago)

st louis (maybe not after last year but they were every other year not sure on them)

buffalo (was in serious trouble until an idiot with a wad of money bought them)

^

that is 13 teams i listed above that are/were in financial trouble at some point over the last 3 years that is 43% of the franchises. Right now this league is being carried by the strong canadian dollar, that could EASILY reverse in the next 5 years.

the players are totally out to lunch on the state of the league and just cling to their 3.3billion dollar revenue number.

i dont know how the players can look themselves in the mirror when they say "we dont see why the nhl needs a salary reduction".

gee maybe look at how many franchises are in financial trouble?

new jersey

dallas

phoenix

Sanjose (has never made money despite its attendance)

LA (same as sanjose)

anaheim

carolina

colombus

florida

tampa bay

colorado (not quite yet but they are drawing significantly less fans than 5 years ago)

st louis (maybe not after last year but they were every other year not sure on them)

buffalo (was in serious trouble until an idiot with a wad of money bought them)

^

that is 13 teams i listed above that are/were in financial trouble at some point over the last 3 years that is 43% of the franchises. Right now this league is being carried by the strong canadian dollar, that could EASILY reverse in the next 5 years.

the players are totally out to lunch on the state of the league and just cling to their 3.3billion dollar revenue number.

I want to counter this but it feels like you have just put up your opinion on which teams shouldn't be and that's why they suck. Where are you getting your facts and numbers from? and no, Hockeyinsiderr is not a source.

Well, the answer SHOULD be obvious, but apparently the NHPLA doesn't understand basic math.

Also, let's say you're an NHL player and you have no more than six years left in your playing career. You have a choice: [A] Take a 12% haircut on your current salary but play for six years or Lose a full year's salary and forego AT LEAST 17% of the rest of your professional hockey income that you'll ever make? I say "AT LEAST" because that assumes that after a lost season they go right back to getting 57% of league revenue (which is NOT going to happen). So, that player is more likely to lose 20%-25% of the rest of his career's income by losing a full season.

Do players understand BASIC math?

Will the fans show more anger if there is only half a season than a full season? If the NHL is locked out until the summer I think the edge and anger of the fans would die down because it would be so long since we saw hockey. I hope there is half a season so there will be some revolt from the fans. Season ticket holders will be back but I think our sellout streak will end after the lockout if it's a half season.

You're right that the calculation is not complex; the PA is doing what they're doing to protect future generations of hockey players, much like what prior generations did for them. Owners wanting more for the sake of wanting more can't be allowed. There is no fundamental reason for the owners' desire for a bigger split. They're just greedy.

"BASIC math" would also conclude that 45% of $3B is also greater than 57% of $0...then 35%...then 25%....etc. Which is the path that the owners will always be on now that they have a cap. Now that a cap is in place, the owners will just continue with the lockouts and demands for greater HRR percentages.

You think the NHLPA is taking the position they are taking to protect the livelihood of future union brothers...while the owners are "just greedy"?

Is that why the NHLPA is willing to go 50-50 on league revenue for FUTURE contracts and players as long as the CURRENT players' contracts are honored?

The players are no less (and no more) "greedy" than the owners are...but let's not pretend that the union's objective is "to protect future generations of hockey players".

What's the problem with that? Some of those contracts were signed only weeks ago. They were bargained in good faith. Why should they be rolled back? Where, anywhere, in life, is that a reasonable thing to do? Should we all try calling the Canucks and asking for a 12% reduction in season ticket prices, because, well, they're pretty expensive? Think that'd work?

The players have already agreed to transfer > $1B in wealth to the owners, for really no reason, at a time when hockey is booming. That's greed?

Archived