The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I understand the owners of losing franchises are in a bind, and something does need to be done for those markets to stay intact.

Why bother? why is the NHL trying to keep these in the negative teams going?

A contraction IMO would be even better than relocation.

since the league started its expansion with the Sharks, 2 profitable teams out of 9, Ottawa and Minny.

The rest are garbage!!

Can you imagine how healthy this league would be with 21 teams again? If we never expanded!! Instead of expansion, move the weak teams out of the 21 to Ottawa, Minny and Colorado!

For how unpopular hockey is in the USA we have way to many teams!

Let hockey grow in the places it's roots like the soil!

My goodness the ignorance on this board is staggering - although this should be of absolutely no surprise unfortunately.

First of all, Bettman is simply a puppet figure for the owners. He doesn't make a negotiating move or a public statement unless he has a mandate from the majority of the owners. People out there blaming Bettman for ruining this or destroying that should realize that all along it has been the owners telling Bettman what to do. Any hate for Bettman is completely misdirected and should be sent towards the owners - Bettman is nothing and doesn't even schedule a meeting with the NHLPA without the consent of the owners.

Second, greed is a two-sided evil in this case. Neither the owners nor the NHLPA are innocent in the greed department. To blame either side and let the other off the hook is to be completely ignorant of the process or the issues. This is a negotiations. Anyone thinking that one side will simply give their final offer right off the bat is truly naive and has no business commenting on the proceedings, they'll just sound foolish.

Last, if the NHL season does get postponed, cancelled or delayed, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. There is so much hockey out there to follow at various levels I don't have the time to get into it to the point I would like to - this would give me the opportunity to appreciate what makes the NHL even exist - GRASSROOTS Canadian hockey!

My goodness the ignorance on this board is staggering - although this should be of absolutely no surprise unfortunately.

First of all, Bettman is simply a puppet figure for the owners. He doesn't make a negotiating move or a public statement unless he has a mandate from the majority of the owners. People out there blaming Bettman for ruining this or destroying that should realize that all along it has been the owners telling Bettman what to do. Any hate for Bettman is completely misdirected and should be sent towards the owners - Bettman is nothing and doesn't even schedule a meeting with the NHLPA without the consent of the owners.

Second, greed is a two-sided evil in this case. Neither the owners nor the NHLPA are innocent in the greed department. To blame either side and let the other off the hook is to be completely ignorant of the process or the issues. This is a negotiations. Anyone thinking that one side will simply give their final offer right off the bat is truly naive and has no business commenting on the proceedings, they'll just sound foolish.

Last, if the NHL season does get postponed, cancelled or delayed, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. There is so much hockey out there to follow at various levels I don't have the time to get into it to the point I would like to - this would give me the opportunity to appreciate what makes the NHL even exist - GRASSROOTS Canadian hockey!

Sounds like a bargaining technique to me. Oh well.

Solvency for every team should be a priority. There are two ways to solve this financial problem. Remove the cap floor, and then stop the transfer payments that teams like the Canucks are paying to the league to subsidize teams in markets that have no reason being in business. This artificial floor seems to cause teams to sign UFAs to insane contract amounts just to get to the floor, thus inflating the market's overall value. If teams are forced to operate within their means, the financial health of the league can be resolved. Until then, fans in Vancouver are going to sell the arena out every night for the second highest ticket price in the league just to send that profit away.

Yay... bargaining tactics that include the media...

Lets put our whole fanbase through hell for bit...

Geez.... can't you just operate behind closed doors and get this crap dealt with without causing such stress.... children act better at times working things out with each other...

Plain and simple... pisses me off...

Perhaps if I drink enough beer, I'll turn into a soccer fan...

You my friend need to stop smoking crack.

A LOCKOUT - is the owners locking out the players from playing.

If the players are choosing not to play it's called - A STRIKE

Players cannot trigger a lockout and Bettman knows very well that his first propsal would never fly with the NHLPA. Imagine if Bettman gave a proposal that the NHLPA signed off on immediately, he would be fired so fast his head would spin.

Yes the players could stop a lockout by signing on the dotted line but there is no way in hell they were ever going to agree to the owners first propsal.

I am not team Fehr by any means and I personally am on the side of the owners for the most part as the players only have to play and make lots of money for doing so but the owners have to take care of everything else.

Archived