The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Japan vs China vs Taiwan: Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands

Lancaster

I am surprised that there haven't been a topic about this yet.

Some backdrop: Some island in Asia with Japan, China and Taiwan claiming it as their own. Nobody really lives there anymore, but it supposedly have lots of hydrocarbon deposits beneath. Basically like ours Hans Island dispute with Denmark a few years back.... except this now involves 1 superpower, 1 economic superpower and 1 middle-power.

Lots of violent protests in China where Japanese nationals are being assaulted, their properties destroyed, and lots of racial slurs shot across the bow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senkaku_Islands_dispute

My grandma told me an old story of how the islands were belonging to china back in the days, but the emperor at the time got sick and the japanese took the emperor in and nursed him back to health. The emperor then gave the japanese those 2 islands as a token of their generosity and kindness.

If this story is somewhat true... My god have times changed.

Worst that can happen is the threat of nuclear warheads or war.....

I am surprised that there haven't been a topic about this yet.

Some backdrop: Some island in Asia with Japan, China and Taiwan claiming it as their own. Nobody really lives there anymore, but it supposedly have lots of hydrocarbon deposits beneath. Basically like ours Hans Island dispute with Denmark a few years back.... except this now involves 1 superpower, 1 economic superpower and 1 middle-power.

Lots of violent protests in China where Japanese nationals are being assaulted, their properties destroyed, and lots of racial slurs shot across the bow.

http://en.wikipedia....Islands_dispute

There's a lot of truth in that. However, politically, that is not the case. Both sides genuinely think they have the rights to the islands due to history. The question is, which period of history do you look at? A good case can be made in favour of both sides.

My grandma told me an old story of how the islands were belonging to china back in the days, but the emperor at the time got sick and the japanese took the emperor in and nursed him back to health. The emperor then gave the japanese those 2 islands as a token of their generosity and kindness.

If this story is somewhat true... My god have times changed.

Worst that can happen is the threat of nuclear warheads or war.....

althout the reason was completely diferent but Argentina did the same thing with England. (Malvinas/Falklands)

maybe it´s not only involving a "piece of rock" but the people moral, for China it shows "we have a great army, a great navy, a great airforce and we´re conquesting more and more things to our great country"...

everywhere you go, you will see things like this...

This is getting close to a very sensitive topic, but it probably has to do with history, such as WW2 and more. Let's talk about the current situation though, it'll probably avoid the thread being locked. If you want a full blown discussion on the animosity between Asian neighbours, head over to MP.net.

"The territory is close to key shipping lanes, rich fishing grounds, and there may be oil reserves in the area." - that's from the Wikipedia article on the Senkaku Islands.

However, the reasons for all the civilian outrage is completely different as people still haven't forgotten all the killing that took place 70-80 years ago. Chinese, Koreans, many who had to live through that or had parents that had to still hold some animosity towards the Japanese. It's a cultural thing for the civilians at least.

There's also a nationalist party in Japan right now that is really pressuring the government to keep on with the claiming of the islands.

These island disputes have always been going on, this one is just getting more attention because it involves China. Korea has had ongoing disputes with the Dokto/Takeshima islands with Japan for well over 5 years now.

Yeah, Asians don't really get along, but in the end, these "fights" aren't a big deal. It's just another typical case of overblown egos clashing with one another. It happens all the time. Hell, I've even seen modern Korean sitcoms that still take shots at the Japanese here and there from time to time.

There are 2 sides to both stories.

Chinese public are over reacting, by burning japanese cars, and not buying japanese goods. Somewhat premature...

But please understand. The Chinese people have been embarrased by the Japanese numerous times in history. They are their traditional rival. At this point, China has no choice but to act tough and not give up the land even if its 3 rocks as some of you morons are sayiing. "oh it's just 3 rocks, hand it over." no no no. Never.

If the Government does that, then its a slap in the face to the Chinese people, especially how the Japanese treated China people in the Sino Japaense wars. Both Countries don't want war, I don't even how Taiwan got involved. Anyways, I'm not taking any sides, 2 of these Islands were claimed to be Chinese since Acient China. Japan's claim is that in the 1890, they went to all 3 islands, once per year for 10 years then decided its theres. I don't know, I hope nothing happens. Japan and China depend on each other and they don't know it. Just like how the world is benefitiing from the Rise of China. I really hope nothing happens, I doubt anything will happen. Right now, China is acting tough by sending in patrol boats.

Archived