The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Japan vs China vs Taiwan: Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands

Lancaster

No comment on the Chinese and Taiwanese positions. But in Japan, like so many other countries, the far right is so obsessed with power that it just doesn't care what the consequences are and it does not represent what the people think. Governments no longer represent people, they use them.

One of Japan’s highest-profile nationalists, Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara, said Thursday that he will resign his post and form a political party in a bid to gain power in the country’s central government.

The new party figures to drive Japan even farther to the right at a time when the nation’s two leading political parties have approval ratings below 25 percent. Japan must call a new parliamentary election by August.

During his 13 years as governor — the top post in Japan’s capital — Ishihara, 80, denounced immigrants, spoke about Japanese people’s superior sensibilities and advocated that the nation acquire nuclear weapons. He also said the devastating March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami were “divine punishment” because Japan had become too greedy. He was then reelected.

This year, Ishihara launched a bid to buy the Senkaku Islands, territory disputed with China. Because the central government feared an Ishihara takeover of the land, known as Diaoyu in China, it decided on a competing — and successful — bid in an attempt to calm tensions. But the move infuriated China nonetheless, and trade with Beijing has dropped in recent months because of the diplomatic row.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/brash-tokyo-governor-quits-launches-national-party/2012/10/25/aa8911b4-1e8b-11e2-8817-41b9a7aaabc7_story.html

^

To be fair, Japan has been a push-over in international politics since WW2.

Nations around Japan that has nuclear weapons:

North Korea - Kidnapped Japanese nationals, wouldn't mind throwing a nuke towards Japan if/when there's a conflict with South Korea.

Russia - the Kuril Islands are still disputed

China - they're not fans of Japan

Talking to people from Japan, it seems that the "far-right" is pretty inaccurate. Almost anything outside the status quo is "far-right".

More nuclear power (Japan has almost no natural resources) = far-right

Less reliant on US military = far-right / militarism

More international clout = far-right / imperialism

Yeah, it's clearly a lot bigger than the rocks. Just curious, do you have any personal connection to the situation? Family of either nationality?

^

To be fair, Japan has been a push-over in international politics since WW2.

Nations around Japan that has nuclear weapons:

North Korea - Kidnapped Japanese nationals, wouldn't mind throwing a nuke towards Japan if/when there's a conflict with South Korea.

Russia - the Kuril Islands are still disputed

China - they're not fans of Japan

Talking to people from Japan, it seems that the "far-right" is pretty inaccurate. Almost anything outside the status quo is "far-right".

More nuclear power (Japan has almost no natural resources) = far-right

Less reliant on US military = far-right / militarism

More international clout = far-right / imperialism

There are 2 sides to both stories.

Chinese public are over reacting, by burning japanese cars, and not buying japanese goods. Somewhat premature...

But please understand. The Chinese people have been embarrased by the Japanese numerous times in history. They are their traditional rival. At this point, China has no choice but to act tough and not give up the land even if its 3 rocks as some of you morons are sayiing. "oh it's just 3 rocks, hand it over." no no no. Never.

If the Government does that, then its a slap in the face to the Chinese people, especially how the Japanese treated China people in the Sino Japaense wars. Both Countries don't want war, I don't even how Taiwan got involved. Anyways, I'm not taking any sides, 2 of these Islands were claimed to be Chinese since Acient China. Japan's claim is that in the 1890, they went to all 3 islands, once per year for 10 years then decided its theres. I don't know, I hope nothing happens. Japan and China depend on each other and they don't know it. Just like how the world is benefitiing from the Rise of China. I really hope nothing happens, I doubt anything will happen. Right now, China is acting tough by sending in patrol boats.

Archived