24 replies to this topic

#1 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

After reading yet another comments section on a You Tube video, I am shaking my head at just how much of our society has turned into egocentric hate mongers. Of course, we all know about trolling and the fact that many people find it "fun" to verbally torture others from the safety of their homes. They get to be anonymous and hence, suffer no true consequences, other than what they were after in the first place - making people angry. We all know about the effects of online bullying in cases like Amanda Todd's. We all, I'm sure, at some point have been the brunt of someone's hateful words on the internet.
It's in these moments that I wish someone would pull the plug on the internet. Shut it down and force people to talk face-to-face. The cowards that talk big online would either keep their mouths shut or else would have to deal with real consequences. People would hopefully re-learn that other people are "real".

But, then I think about all the people that I've re-hooked up with on Facebook. People I lost touch with 20 years ago and now can "chat" with, even though they are on the other side of the world. I would have no social connection with them whatsoever, if it wasn't for the internet. I know of people who have found biological families. I have made friends over the internet. I have learned countless, amazing things and have had the chance to philosophize with people from all over the world, from all walks of life.

All in all, what do you think? Is the internet a good thing? Is it a catalyst for a further darkening of our society? Is it both?
Posted Image

#2 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Things aren't bad (from drugs to the internet, it doesn't really matter). Things are just things. The internet doesn't hurt people, anymore than a poppy does.

PEOPLE are the issue.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

More good about the internet than bad.
When I see people being dicks I just feel sorry for them.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Things aren't bad (from drugs to the internet, it doesn't really matter). Things are just things. The internet doesn't hurt people, anymore than a poppy does.

PEOPLE are the issue.

So it is Remembrance Day soon .. imagine how many pierced fingers there will be from those insidious poppies .. lest we forget .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#5 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

So it is Remembrance Day soon .. imagine how many pierced fingers there will be from those insidious poppies .. lest we forget .. :rolleyes:

Yep........let's stay focused on the pricks ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#6 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Oh you two!! :lol:

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#7 One one two

One one two

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

It's a great place if you visit the right sites, talk with the right people, don't get too upset when someone tries to coerce you into a dumb argument, and most importantly don't take it too seriously.

#8 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

It's a great place if you visit the right sites, talk with the right people, don't get too upset when someone tries to coerce you into a dumb argument, and most importantly don't take it too seriously.

This, exactly.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#9 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

True enough!
Posted Image

#10 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

PEOPLE are the issue.

Wow...first thing I think I have ever agreed with you on!

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

don't get too upset when someone tries to coerce you into a dumb argument, and most importantly don't take it too seriously.

These should be guidelines people have to agree to before the sign up for CDC
Posted Image

#12 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Wow...first thing I think I have ever agreed with you on!

Maybe you're coming around...

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#13 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Maybe you're coming around...

Ditto? ;)

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#14 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm already "around".

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#15 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

PEOPLE are the issue.

RIGHT ON JR .

A lot of people do not want to take responsibility for their actions , and would rather blame "something" than be held accountable for what they say and do .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#16 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

These should be guidelines people have to agree to before the sign up for CDC

There are , but many seem unable to follow them .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#17 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,517 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, It's The Interent: Ignore The Trolls.
Posted Image

#18 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Aw, see? The same internet that drove you two apart has brought you together. I have a tear....
Posted Image

#19 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

About sums it up.

Seems with Internet, everything is at your fingertips. If you have access to Internet you will never be bored, not matter your interests. Stay away from things or people that bother you. I don't have facebook or twitter etc because i don't find them useful. I spend a lot of time reading about what's going on in the world, news, tech, culture etc. in addition to Forex Trading.

#20 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

After reading yet another comments section on a You Tube video, I am shaking my head at just how much of our society has turned into egocentric hate mongers. Of course, we all know about trolling and the fact that many people find it "fun" to verbally torture others from the safety of their homes. They get to be anonymous and hence, suffer no true consequences, other than what they were after in the first place - making people angry. We all know about the effects of online bullying in cases like Amanda Todd's. We all, I'm sure, at some point have been the brunt of someone's hateful words on the internet.
It's in these moments that I wish someone would pull the plug on the internet. Shut it down and force people to talk face-to-face. The cowards that talk big online would either keep their mouths shut or else would have to deal with real consequences. People would hopefully re-learn that other people are "real".

But, then I think about all the people that I've re-hooked up with on Facebook. People I lost touch with 20 years ago and now can "chat" with, even though they are on the other side of the world. I would have no social connection with them whatsoever, if it wasn't for the internet. I know of people who have found biological families. I have made friends over the internet. I have learned countless, amazing things and have had the chance to philosophize with people from all over the world, from all walks of life.

All in all, what do you think? Is the internet a good thing? Is it a catalyst for a further darkening of our society? Is it both?

The internet is like anything else in this world; It's a great thing, but used by the wrong people it can become a catalyst for further darkening.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#21 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,282 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

the problem with EX Bert Worshipper's post, in my opinion, is that it doesn't even seem like a criticism of the internet so much as a criticism of laws in relation to the internet, or the lack of. Many laws are outdated or totally blurry about what can or can't be said online, or what can or can't be done online. And that allows people to do and say what they want. Why are consequences only "real" when face-to-face, should be the question, not "should we unplug the internet?"

Think of that recent case from the cess pit Reddit, for example, and that Michael Brutsch character, who ran numerous subforums dedicated to candid shots of women bending over, etc. This guy was considered the biggest (and most 'influential') troll on one of the biggest and most influential forums on the internet. Even OBAMA was on there not too long ago. After Brutsch's identity was revealed by Gawker, he was fired from his job, marked by most as a total creep, and I'm sure ostracized from the few friends he actually had. Except online. Many people in the (ugh) Reddit community think his actions (on the forums) are okay if not justifable because it's "freedom of speech." I'm not up on my laws and codes in the states, but from what I've gathered on the subject, the language is extremely archaic and difficult to translate into modern terms, and therefore Brutsch's actions--regardless of how morally repulsive we may find them--are perceived as (if not actually being) totally legal.

One of Brutsch's friends on the forum was a teacher who would snap photos of his students. He was fired. I have no idea if any lawsuits were filed, though.

The New Yorker recently discussed all this, and hinted at the irony Brutsch now trying to hire a lawyer to sue Gawker for an invasion of privacy, after Gawker released his identity and labelled him a total creep for posting photos of all sorts of unwilling and unknowing girls on one of the biggest websites on the internet.

This idea that the internet breeds contempt, to me, seems wrong. People are inherently disgusting and mischievious, if not malevolent; except on CDC, where goodness and purity and self righteousness abound, of course.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 26 October 2012 - 01:52 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#22 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

So why are you on this site then :P
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#23 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

PEOPLE are the issue.

Absolutely. The internet just provides people the medium for displaying to the world how much of a jerkwad they really are.

RIP LB RR PD

#24 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

the problem with EX Bert Worshipper's post, in my opinion, is that it doesn't even seem like a criticism of the internet so much as a criticism of laws in relation to the internet, or the lack of. Many laws are outdated or totally blurry about what can or can't be said online, or what can or can't be done online. And that allows people to do and say what they want. Why are consequences only "real" when face-to-face, should be the question, not "should we unplug the internet?"

Think of that recent case from the cess pit Reddit, for example, and that Michael Brutsch character, who ran numerous subforums dedicated to candid shots of women bending over, etc. This guy was considered the biggest (and most 'influential') troll on one of the biggest and most influential forums on the internet. Even OBAMA was on there not too long ago. After Brutsch's identity was revealed by Gawker, he was fired from his job, marked by most as a total creep, and I'm sure ostracized from the few friends he actually had. Except online. Many people in the (ugh) Reddit community think his actions (on the forums) are okay if not justifable because it's "freedom of speech." I'm not up on my laws and codes in the states, but from what I've gathered on the subject, the language is extremely archaic and difficult to translate into modern terms, and therefore Brutsch's actions--regardless of how morally repulsive we may find them--are perceived as (if not actually being) totally legal.

One of Brutsch's friends on the forum was a teacher who would snap photos of his students. He was fired. I have no idea if any lawsuits were filed, though.

The New Yorker recently discussed all this, and hinted at the irony Brutsch now trying to hire a lawyer to sue Gawker for an invasion of privacy, after Gawker released his identity and labelled him a total creep for posting photos of all sorts of unwilling and unknowing girls on one of the biggest websites on the internet.

This idea that the internet breeds contempt, to me, seems wrong. People are inherently disgusting and mischievious, if not malevolent; except on CDC, where goodness and purity and self righteousness abound, of course.

Your post makes some valid points glassjaw , but i disagree with your blanket statement that people are inherently disgusting and mischievious, and there are no malevolent people in my life .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#25 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Good points, Glassjaw. I would agree that the internet does not breed contempt. Just as video games do not breed violence. Just as slasher films do not breed murderous rampages.
I do find your analysis of my post intriguing. I don't know why you find a "problem" with it, personally. I suppose I was thinking out loud. I agree with most of your points, but I do maintain that the internet has certainly allowed for a more free-flow of disastrous comments (hateful, nasty words) that are uttered by people who probably would not say such things if face-to-face with a real person. For instance - I am a real person. I have a family. I have a job. I stand in line at the grocery store. I donate to the Children's Hospital because I know a child who has recently battled a brain tumor. I suffer from anxiety, but have overcome much of it in the past few years (ironically due to online support groups). When I'm online and someone calls me something vile because of a statement I've made, I know that they don't see all of this and who I truly am (a real person with a real life). They see me as an online "entity". And, yes, they can say whatever they want. I do think that the internet has allowed for people to de-personify others. That's the part that I have troubles with.
Cheers.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.