The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Electronic society - yay or nay?

EX_Bert_Worshipper

After reading yet another comments section on a You Tube video, I am shaking my head at just how much of our society has turned into egocentric hate mongers. Of course, we all know about trolling and the fact that many people find it "fun" to verbally torture others from the safety of their homes. They get to be anonymous and hence, suffer no true consequences, other than what they were after in the first place - making people angry. We all know about the effects of online bullying in cases like Amanda Todd's. We all, I'm sure, at some point have been the brunt of someone's hateful words on the internet.

It's in these moments that I wish someone would pull the plug on the internet. Shut it down and force people to talk face-to-face. The cowards that talk big online would either keep their mouths shut or else would have to deal with real consequences. People would hopefully re-learn that other people are "real".

But, then I think about all the people that I've re-hooked up with on Facebook. People I lost touch with 20 years ago and now can "chat" with, even though they are on the other side of the world. I would have no social connection with them whatsoever, if it wasn't for the internet. I know of people who have found biological families. I have made friends over the internet. I have learned countless, amazing things and have had the chance to philosophize with people from all over the world, from all walks of life.

All in all, what do you think? Is the internet a good thing? Is it a catalyst for a further darkening of our society? Is it both?

After reading yet another comments section on a You Tube video, I am shaking my head at just how much of our society has turned into egocentric hate mongers. Of course, we all know about trolling and the fact that many people find it "fun" to verbally torture others from the safety of their homes. They get to be anonymous and hence, suffer no true consequences, other than what they were after in the first place - making people angry. We all know about the effects of online bullying in cases like Amanda Todd's. We all, I'm sure, at some point have been the brunt of someone's hateful words on the internet.

It's in these moments that I wish someone would pull the plug on the internet. Shut it down and force people to talk face-to-face. The cowards that talk big online would either keep their mouths shut or else would have to deal with real consequences. People would hopefully re-learn that other people are "real".

But, then I think about all the people that I've re-hooked up with on Facebook. People I lost touch with 20 years ago and now can "chat" with, even though they are on the other side of the world. I would have no social connection with them whatsoever, if it wasn't for the internet. I know of people who have found biological families. I have made friends over the internet. I have learned countless, amazing things and have had the chance to philosophize with people from all over the world, from all walks of life.

All in all, what do you think? Is the internet a good thing? Is it a catalyst for a further darkening of our society? Is it both?

Archived