Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Luongo Deals

Proposal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hai guise!
So lately, the Luongo to Toronto rumours have been going around and every other proposal is Vancouver and Toronto, but why not look at other teams with possible reasons to acquire Luongo. So basically, the possible list of suitors for a goaltender can be narrowed down to:
Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers*, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the Toronto Maple Leafs. These teams could need goaltending in the near future and even though each destination is situationally and fundaentally different, each will be more and less likely to pursue a goaltender. Here is my take/proposal on each team.
*Contingent on Bryzgalov being bought out, staying in Russa or moved.

Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawks are a team that is difficult to deal with in my opinion. They are more than likely unwilling to move ANY core players in Toews, Kane, Hossa, Bolland, Seabrook and Keith, but do have assets which could be acquired in a deal with the 'Nucks. I see Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Hayes and Frolik the main movable assets.
To Chicago: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 3rd Round Pick.
To Vancouver: Nick Leddy, Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Beach
I would project a roster something like this:
Spoiler

Columbus Blue Jackets
I can only see a deal with CBJ going through if Luongo trades his NTC (duh) and we take a goaltender in return.
To CBJ: Roberto Luongo
To VAN: Nick Foligno, Steve Mason, Cody Goloubef

To VAN: Brandon Dubinsky*, Steve Mason, Cody Goloubef.
*Dubinsky just got traded to CBJ, so he is probably out of the question The only roster assets that CBJ has are Johansen and defensemen - not moving and we do not need defense. Pretty crappy deal.
Spoiler

Edmonton Oilers
Another pretty lack luster trade partner. They will not move Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov or Schultz. They do have a depth of prospects and other young guys which could be of some value to us immediately or in the future. Unlikely because of the inter division factor, but again, a lack luster unlikely trade partner.
To EDM:Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 2nd Round Pick
To VAN: Ales Hemsky, Anton Lander, David Musil
Spoiler

Florida Panthers
Florida has pieces to move that could get a Luongo deal done. I would see a roster player or two and a high/mid level prospect.
To FLA: Roberto Luongo
To VAN: Shawn Matthias, Alex Petrovic, FLA 2013 2nd Round Pick, FLA 2013 1st Round Pick.
Spoiler

Ottawa Senators
If Ottawa were uncomfortable with a tandem of Anderson/Bishop, then an acquisition of Luongo could be plausible if they were in dire need of Luongo. This is probably a far-fetched destination for Luongo, but anything can happen.
To OTT: Roberto Luongo, Chris Tanev.
To VAN: Mark Stone, Marc Methot.
Spoiler

Philadelphia Flyers
As said above, it is contingent on Bryzgalov being out of the picture.
To PHI: Roberto Luongo
To VAN Maxime Talbot, Wayne Simmonds
Spoiler

Tampa Bay Lightning
Yzerman might reconsider a Luongo deal if/when a season starts, especially with Lindback and his 40 games NHL experience.
To TBL: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 Third Round Pick.
To VAN: Teddy Purcell, Mathieu Garon, Keith Aulie.
Spoiler

Toronto Maple Leafs
Here is my take on a Luongo to Toronto deal.
To TOR: Roberto Luongo.
To VAN: Tyler Bozak, Carter Ashton, RFA Rights to Cody Franson.
Spoiler

Anyhow, thoughts? I know these will be scrutinized but whatever. :P

Edited by JimLahey, 30 October 2012 - 10:41 PM.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#2 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

Most of those trades wouldn't improve out team, at least not in the short run.

If we move Lu, then I think it is a must for us to get a top 6 forward in return.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#3 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,597 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

Every deal, except the Chicago and Toronto one's, are absolutely horrible. Foligno is a 2nd/3rd line tweener, we have plenty of those. Stone and Methot do nothing to help us win now, which is the exact opposite of one of the reasons as to why MG is willing to trade Lu, to find a deal that help's us now, not in the future.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#4 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

Kind of frustrated that the Toronto deal is actually the best of the bunch. Surprised to see Tanev as a toss in. I digress.

I appreciate the time and thought put into your post, though I feel there could be more balance and that Luongo could fetch a top prospect in each and every proposal.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

if the flyers can rid themselves of their high priced goalie, i could see them in the mix as well.

#6 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I would do the first three and the last one but not the OTT or TLB deals
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#7 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

ottawa doesn't need a goalie. Anderson played really well for them last year and they have two excellent young goalies in Bishop and Lehner. I'd also argue Florida's need for a goalie. Theodore has been good for them and Markstrom should be excellent. If they do feel they need someone to fill the gap until Markstrom is ready to take the number 1 slot I doubt they'll want a guy who is signed for another 10 years. They would just end up in the same situation that the Canucks are in right now. Stuck with an aging goalie with a difficult to move contract

#8 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Also, I find it funny that you riff on Tampa for haviing Lindback as their starter with his 40 games NHL experience when the Canucks seem perfectly comfortable going with Schneider and his 68 NHL games experience

#9 da.moose

da.moose

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I doubt Chicago would trade for Luongo.

I don't think CBJ would trade Nick Foligno right after trading for him.

Your Florida proposal seems realistic.

I think Ottawa is happy with their current goaltending situation. Especially with Robin Lehner moving his way up in the system.

I think Yzerman will give Lindback an opportunity to be his starter when the season begins.

Your Toronto proposal seems realistic. The Leafs did just trade for Carter Ashton and probably would prefer not to move him, but I don't think that would stop Brian Burke from pulling the trigger on a deal he likes.

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Chicago Deal:

No thanks, this improves them greatly right away and does very little to nothing to improves our cup chances, and the only one of those 3 who seems like they will be anything good (Top 6 forward/Top 4 D-man) at the NHL level is Leddy, the other 2 are question marks to me

Columbus Deal:

We don't need another 2nd/3rd liner we have plenty (Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Even Kassian Exc.) Goloubef doesn't seem like he will live up to his potential, and Mason isn't really needed and he is most of the value in the deal coming our way.

I dont think this deal helps us, so no thanks.

Florida Deal:

Mattias is overrated Imo, I do like Petrovic though but I dont think the value is quite fair. Maybe change the 2nd to a 1st and I might do it. But I don't think the value is quite there for us too pull the trigger.

Ottawa Deal:

Huge no, Stone is far from a sure thing, Methot is good but we already have a solid top 4 and I would rather just hold onto Tanev use him on the 3rd pair. I would rather just hold onto Tanev and the Value is absolutely terrible in this deal.

Tampa Bay Deal:

This one is probably the best in my opinion, but I don't think Tbay actually wants Luongo. So I don't think this happens.

Toronto Deal:

Not bad aswell, this one is a close 2nd to Tbay, Maybe change Ashton to either Kadri or Colbourne. I do like Bozak and Franson, even though I dont think we should get Franson cause there is no room for him. but not bad this one seems the most likely.

zackass.png

#11 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Kind of frustrated that the Toronto deal is actually the best of the bunch. Surprised to see Tanev as a toss in. I digress.

I appreciate the time and thought put into your post, though I feel there could be more balance and that Luongo could fetch a top prospect in each and every proposal.

You're right :) That Ottawa deal is possibly one of the worst I've seen/made in my (short) time on CDC. I'll probably revise a couple of these (mainly CBJ + OTT deals, and FLA to an extent) later when I get home.

if the flyers can rid themselves of their high priced goalie, i could see them in the mix as well.

I agree 100% Joe, if PHI could buy-out/trade Bryzgalov, then they would be my favorite Luongo destination because of the forward group they have to offer. Guys like Talbot, Voracek, Simmonds and Read (yes, even with one good season) could look good in a Canucks jersey. There could be a bid for Couturier as well, but as a return I would love Talbot and Voracek.

Anyways, I'll revise a couple of these deals when I get home and leave the originals up for a good laugh.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#12 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Chicago Blackhawks

To Chicago: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 3rd Round Pick.
To Vancouver: Nick Leddy, Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Beach

Columbus Blue Jackets

To VAN: Nick Foligno, Steve Mason, Cody Goloubef

Florida Panthers

To FLA: Roberto Luongo
To VAN: Shawn Matthias, Alex Petrovic, FLA 2013 2nd Round Pick.

Spoiler

Ottawa Senators

To OTT: Roberto Luongo, Chris Tanev.
To VAN: Mark Stone, Marc Methot

Tampa Bay Lightning

To TBL: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 Third Round Pick.
To VAN: Teddy Purcell, Mathieu Garon, Keith Aulie.

Toronto Maple Leafs

To TOR: Roberto Luongo.
To VAN: Tyler Bozak, Carter Ashton, RFA Rights to Cody Franson.

Chicago - They aren't going to trade Leddy. Put in Hjalmarsson instead of Leddy adn take out the 3rd from Vanouver, better yet tkae out all other assets from Vancouver other than Luongo in your proposals.

Columbus - This seems more or less fair. They would likely want to trade another forward other than Foligno. They are actually quite deep in defence and would trade any least one defenceman in any Luongo deal.

Florida - I really don't they would trade much to get Luongo. Goaltending wasn't a problem foe them last season and they have what is considered the best goalie prospect in the league. Needs more money going to the Canucks for Florida to even consider trading for Luongo.

Ottawa - They don't need a goalie but they just acquired Methot this off season because they needed another defenceman. They are also very high on Stone. No way this deal happens.

Tampa - Tampa might have done that deal before they acquired Lindback.

Toronto - The Leafs migh be willing to pay the highest price but I don't see that deal happening with Ashton in it.

#13 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Not bad. Pretty good deals
Posted Image

#14 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

ConnorFutureGM thinks Luongo is worth the following:

1) Shane Obriens can of Hellman's (2/3rds full)
2) Hitchcock's belt
3) Mathieu Schneiders dentures
4)Phil Kessels turtle neck sweater

Connor don't quit your day job

am I right? Tell me I'm wrong- I'd like that

Edited by eretz canucks, 29 October 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#15 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

I'm surprised you put all that effort into this. Are you off the booze again, Lahey? Either way I'll check em out in a bit.
Posted Image

#16 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,597 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not bad. Pretty good deals

What I've noticed with a few of your posts in the proposals section, is that whenever the majority of the people that agree/disagree to a proposal, you come in and say the opposite to the people agreeing/disagreeing.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 29 October 2012 - 10:16 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#17 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

I'm surprised you put all that effort into this. Are you off the booze again, Lahey? Either way I'll check em out in a bit.

I was actually drinking that night :P

hL9YqYN.jpg

#18 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

If Bryzgalov or Varlamov choose to remain in the KHL.

PHI: Luongo, Ballard
VAN: Read, Manning, 1st

COL: Luongo, Ballard, Guance
VAN: O'Reilly, Wilson

+ cap space to re-sign Edler, Higgins, Lapierre
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#19 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

What I've noticed with a few of your posts in the proposals section, is that whenever the majority of the people that agree/disagree to a proposal, you come in and say the opposite to the people agreeing/disagreeing.

haha i like to be different. no but tbh i usually post my thoughts and then read everyone elses thoughts.

honestly i would do some of those deals with a few minor edits.
Posted Image

#20 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I like the Chicago trade. I think with Leddy's potential, Beach/Hayes shouldn't be included.

Then dump Ballard's cap-space and go after a big-name free-agent forward this offseason. If we dump Ballard's contract, and throw a ton of money at one of the UFA's, we could have a team with cup-winning potential

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Getzlaf(UFA)-Kesler
Higgins-Bozak(UFA)-Kassian
Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Garrison
Tanev-Leddy

Schneider
Lack
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#21 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I like the Chicago trade. I think with Leddy's potential, Beach/Hayes shouldn't be included.

Then dump Ballard's cap-space and go after a big-name free-agent forward this offseason. If we dump Ballard's contract, and throw a ton of money at one of the UFA's, we could have a team with cup-winning potential

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Getzlaf(UFA)-Kesler
Higgins-Bozak(UFA)-Kassian
Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis
Edler-Garrison
Tanev-Leddy

Schneider
Lack

Dumping Ballard would more than likely give us the room for a few other things:
1) a lowered salary cap without rollbacks.
2) room to resign Higgins, Lapierre and Edler, along with Raymond and Malhotra if MG decides to resign. Schroeder, Connauton, Tanev, Rodin and Sauve are also RFAs, among others.

After those, then a UFA signing would/could be a priority.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#22 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Dumping Ballard would more than likely give us the room for a few other things:
1) a lowered salary cap without rollbacks.
2) room to resign Higgins, Lapierre and Edler, along with Raymond and Malhotra if MG decides to resign. Schroeder, Connauton, Tanev, Rodin and Sauve are also RFAs, among others.

After those, then a UFA signing would/could be a priority.

Those are the only players I'd resign. Schroeder might prove me wrong tho, because he has had 5 pts in 4 games with the Wolves of late.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.