The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Luongo Deals

Hai guise!

So lately, the Luongo to Toronto rumours have been going around and every other proposal is Vancouver and Toronto, but why not look at other teams with possible reasons to acquire Luongo. So basically, the possible list of suitors for a goaltender can be narrowed down to:

Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers*, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the Toronto Maple Leafs. These teams could need goaltending in the near future and even though each destination is situationally and fundaentally different, each will be more and less likely to pursue a goaltender. Here is my take/proposal on each team.

*Contingent on Bryzgalov being bought out, staying in Russa or moved.

Chicago Blackhawks

The Hawks are a team that is difficult to deal with in my opinion. They are more than likely unwilling to move ANY core players in Toews, Kane, Hossa, Bolland, Seabrook and Keith, but do have assets which could be acquired in a deal with the 'Nucks. I see Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Hayes and Frolik the main movable assets.

To Chicago: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 3rd Round Pick.

To Vancouver: Nick Leddy, Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Beach

I would project a roster something like this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)

Kyle Beach ($1.171m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Nick Leddy ($1.117m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,147,499; BONUSES: $862,500

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,915,001

Every deal, except the Chicago and Toronto one's, are absolutely horrible. Foligno is a 2nd/3rd line tweener, we have plenty of those. Stone and Methot do nothing to help us win now, which is the exact opposite of one of the reasons as to why MG is willing to trade Lu, to find a deal that help's us now, not in the future.

ottawa doesn't need a goalie. Anderson played really well for them last year and they have two excellent young goalies in Bishop and Lehner. I'd also argue Florida's need for a goalie. Theodore has been good for them and Markstrom should be excellent. If they do feel they need someone to fill the gap until Markstrom is ready to take the number 1 slot I doubt they'll want a guy who is signed for another 10 years. They would just end up in the same situation that the Canucks are in right now. Stuck with an aging goalie with a difficult to move contract

I doubt Chicago would trade for Luongo.

I don't think CBJ would trade Nick Foligno right after trading for him.

Your Florida proposal seems realistic.

I think Ottawa is happy with their current goaltending situation. Especially with Robin Lehner moving his way up in the system.

I think Yzerman will give Lindback an opportunity to be his starter when the season begins.

Your Toronto proposal seems realistic. The Leafs did just trade for Carter Ashton and probably would prefer not to move him, but I don't think that would stop Brian Burke from pulling the trigger on a deal he likes.

Chicago Deal:

No thanks, this improves them greatly right away and does very little to nothing to improves our cup chances, and the only one of those 3 who seems like they will be anything good (Top 6 forward/Top 4 D-man) at the NHL level is Leddy, the other 2 are question marks to me

Columbus Deal:

We don't need another 2nd/3rd liner we have plenty (Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, Even Kassian Exc.) Goloubef doesn't seem like he will live up to his potential, and Mason isn't really needed and he is most of the value in the deal coming our way.

I dont think this deal helps us, so no thanks.

Florida Deal:

Mattias is overrated Imo, I do like Petrovic though but I dont think the value is quite fair. Maybe change the 2nd to a 1st and I might do it. But I don't think the value is quite there for us too pull the trigger.

Ottawa Deal:

Huge no, Stone is far from a sure thing, Methot is good but we already have a solid top 4 and I would rather just hold onto Tanev use him on the 3rd pair. I would rather just hold onto Tanev and the Value is absolutely terrible in this deal.

Tampa Bay Deal:

This one is probably the best in my opinion, but I don't think Tbay actually wants Luongo. So I don't think this happens.

Toronto Deal:

Not bad aswell, this one is a close 2nd to Tbay, Maybe change Ashton to either Kadri or Colbourne. I do like Bozak and Franson, even though I dont think we should get Franson cause there is no room for him. but not bad this one seems the most likely.

Kind of frustrated that the Toronto deal is actually the best of the bunch. Surprised to see Tanev as a toss in. I digress.

I appreciate the time and thought put into your post, though I feel there could be more balance and that Luongo could fetch a top prospect in each and every proposal.

Chicago Blackhawks

To Chicago: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 3rd Round Pick.

To Vancouver: Nick Leddy, Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Beach

Columbus Blue Jackets

To CBJ: Roberto Luongo

To VAN: Nick Foligno, Steve Mason, Cody Goloubef

Florida Panthers

To FLA: Roberto Luongo

To VAN: Shawn Matthias, Alex Petrovic, FLA 2013 2nd Round Pick.

Spoiler

Ottawa Senators

To OTT: Roberto Luongo, Chris Tanev.

To VAN: Mark Stone, Marc Methot

Tampa Bay Lightning

To TBL: Roberto Luongo, VAN 2013 Third Round Pick.

To VAN: Teddy Purcell, Mathieu Garon, Keith Aulie.

Toronto Maple Leafs

To TOR: Roberto Luongo.

To VAN: Tyler Bozak, Carter Ashton, RFA Rights to Cody Franson.

I like the Chicago trade. I think with Leddy's potential, Beach/Hayes shouldn't be included.

Then dump Ballard's cap-space and go after a big-name free-agent forward this offseason. If we dump Ballard's contract, and throw a ton of money at one of the UFA's, we could have a team with cup-winning potential

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Getzlaf(UFA)-Kesler

Higgins-Bozak(UFA)-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Garrison

Tanev-Leddy

Schneider

Lack

Archived