The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden: Hero or villain of the last lockout?

abdemarco

As the NHL lockout nears the end of its sixth week, I feel compelled to think about the end of the 2004-2005 lockout. You might recall that Trevor Linden, our beloved Captain Canuck, was the NHLPA's president at that time and that he is held as the one who got the NHLPA and NHL talking again to resolve the labour situation in 2005.

While there were other notable parties involved in the negotiations, Linden became the face for the players. Some viewed the last CBA signing as a capitulation by the players. Some were just glad to be getting NHL hockey back again. Regardless of your view of the current lockout, do you feel Linden was a hero, a villain, or mostly an innocent bystander in the last lockout?

This is a good question. I know that there are a lot of players that feel that they lost the last lockout and the union was broken and that Linden gave up way too much. There's also suggestions that this is why the players are being so firm this time around.

On the other hand, I don't know that it's fair to say the players lost because the NHL came back stronger than ever and player salaries rose by an incredible amount.

In the end he saw that hockey needed to come back and they needed to break the impasse.

It takes courage to do that. So I call him a hero. I'm pretty sure a lot of NHLPA folks view him as caving in. But really the cap was a sticking point, and look how much money the players made afterwords.

People in that position often become a scapegoat and it's very much a "can't please all the people" deal. My ex is in the same position at work and sometimes people aren't looking at the big picture and it becomes a power struggle more than anything. People are quick to pass judgment and assign blame to the guy who's job it is to find a solution, but they themselves aren't willing to step up and do it. It takes someone with courage to take a stance that isn't always accepted by all...part of being a leader involves making those tough decisions.

Not a villain by any means...it's about finding a balance between ALL parties and it involves give and take. Trevor was level headed was good at keeping things in perspective and not buckling to pressure. When you're negotiating, it isn't a popularity contest, it's about finding a balance and something that's workable for all.

Hero for sure. The game was struggling at that time, and guess what.

Situation is no different back then, then now. Heading nowhere fast, probably 82 game season is all but scrapped. Gary Bettman as predictable, is his way or the high way, he doesn't even look at the offers presented. NHLPA has submitted 7 offers to him, they've been looked at a total of 10 minutes, as Donald Fehr is saying.

"our offers is rejected within 10 minutes"

Hero all the way, lots of money to be made later on. Some one has got to make those choices, I'm happy it was a former player. I'm curious to see who is gonna step up for this lock out, some one has to do it. All those star russian players sure aren't, good luck in the KHL you traitors! lol jk

It was a thankless job. Some players look at him as a capitulating traitor, and Bettman looks at him as a patsy.

That last time and this time as well, everyone knows that all the cards are in the owners hands. This is why they have the gall to demand further concessions and paying back salaries retroactively on a deal that THEY strong-armed Linden and the union into accepting last time. They know in the end they will get pretty well everything they want. Its just a matter of time for players pride and pocketbooks to be worn down enough to come back with their tails between their legs and submit to Gary and the billionaire club.

A lot of us just wish it was over, including me, but I don't blame players for holding out. Its a natural human instinct when a boss forces you to sign a contract, and then a few years later and in spite of the company being flush with profits as well as the owners bank account, demand you pay back some of your previous salary and take less in the future. I don't blame them for holding out, but its the fans that get screwed the most out of it.

Archived