49 replies to this topic

#31 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Is it just me or has Roberto Luongo actually gained more popularity during this whole situation? The guy has handled it very well and seems to have come out of his shell a bit if you pay attention to his Twitter. His interview for the fake season was hilarious, and you can tell the genuine personality that cares about this city and his team mates. I like Lou more now than I ever have. I was all for moving on, but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him back for awhile and holding out for the best deal possible, instead of rushing a bad deal just for the sake of getting it done. I get the impression it's not an issue in the lockeroom so really its the fans and media that would make it a distraction, which at the end of the day shouldn't matter.

I wonder if any Luongo haters out there have had a bit of change of heart towards the guy?

I would agree. I have not been a huge Lou fan bec of a view of Ego, attitude etc. And on top of that we have a great one behind/well now in front of him. And from his media comments the ego issue doesn't really appear to be there...

That being said, the way he's handled this situation, the media, fans etc really speaks volumes to his character, the type of man he is. Agree with everything you've said, and I think this situation oddly, may have made him alot more mentally tough. Will be interesting to see how he handles pressure games going forward.

After dealing with all of this crap you have to wonder if the mental side of his game actually might improve bec of it. I am still a believer that we continue to go with Schnieds but I certainly have alot of respect for Lou and it is too bad we couldn't find a way to keep both.

He lifted this team from the basement to the penthouse, we fickle fans shouldn't forget that. He is the best goalie we've had in a Nucks uniform in history and he deserves the fan's and media's respect, because that's certainly what he's given to us.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 30 October 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#32 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

True that, we made him look bad when he's a great goalie. We owe it to him to give him the best chance at winning the cup on a good team, depending on how we handle and finish the whole Lu situation... I will be judging the management accordingly. If they handle it like crap and he leaves unsatisfied, I'll lose all the respect I had for MG.

So your'e saying the team made him look bad for 3 playoff years in a row, not including this last one?
I do recall the team not scoring enough in the past 2 series, but I also recall watching Luongo collapse under the pressure and get scored on numerous times from just about every possible angle, every year after 2007. All those pucks in all those games didn't float through the entire team.
We owe Luongo the best chance at a cup on a good team you say? Seems to me we've had a pretty damn good team for the last 3 or 4 seasons, a cup caliber team. The common denominator in all those losses was Luongo and his uncanny ability to get ventilated at the worst possible times.

#33 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

So your'e saying the team made him look bad for 3 playoff years in a row, not including this last one?
I do recall the team not scoring enough in the past 2 series, but I also recall watching Luongo collapse under the pressure and get scored on numerous times from just about every possible angle, every year after 2007. All those pucks in all those games didn't float through the entire team.
We owe Luongo the best chance at a cup on a good team you say? Seems to me we've had a pretty damn good team for the last 3 or 4 seasons, a cup caliber team. The common denominator in all those losses was Luongo and his uncanny ability to get ventilated at the worst possible times.

At times Luongo has collapse, but let's look at the Stanley Cup last year (2011). In the 7 games the Canucks scored 8 goals and still managed to win 3 games, two by 1-0 shutouts. The Bruins won one game by a blowout (8-1) and the other three convincing. In the four losses the Nucks scored 4 goals and were shutout twice themselves, while the Bruins scored 21. The only way the Canucks win the SC is that Luongo won another game 1-0 . So in the end Luongo cost the Canucks only one game, if the Canucks had some more scoring in one of the other games they lost not including the 8-1 game they might won the SC.

#34 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Luongo is the best goalie we have ever had, I hope he stays here for as long as possible. The fact that he would waive his contract because of whatever reason, if it's for the best for the canucks in his eyes or just the awful media and fans in vancouver is heartbreaking. Luongo is the sole reason I started becoming a fan of the canucks and all I've ever wanted was for him to lift that grey cup and take the weight of the world off of his shoulders for the first time in years. He truly deserves a cup and as my sig says I don't care where he goes if he does leave I will cheer for him in whatever jersey he wears no matter what.

I love you Lu, these trade rumors are breaking my heart and I hope somehow you stay with the canucks for years to come. Please. :canucks:

I never knew Luongo was a football player,,,,,,,,what postion?

#35 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

At times Luongo has collapse, but let's look at the Stanley Cup last year (2011). In the 7 games the Canucks scored 8 goals and still managed to win 3 games, two by 1-0 shutouts. The Bruins won one game by a blowout (8-1) and the other three convincing. In the four losses the Nucks scored 4 goals and were shutout twice themselves, while the Bruins scored 21. The only way the Canucks win the SC is that Luongo won another game 1-0 . So in the end Luongo cost the Canucks only one game, if the Canucks had some more scoring in one of the other games they lost not including the 8-1 game they might won the SC.

You say he only cost us one game, I would question that and say he cost us all the games in Boston. You can't say we wouldn't have had a better outing if it was a game we were in and possibly scored more goals?

But let's say he only cost us one game, just so you know we lost in 7, that one game was a big one.

Let's not forget the games in the first round he cost us as well. He is a great goalie at times but not consistent and that's why management is parting ways with him.

#36 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Roberto is a great goalie. There is no doubt.

His scouting report when he was in junior was

pros:

Incredibly agile for a large goalie

Technically sound

Great glove hand

Can handle huge workload

Cons:

Has mental lapses..............

This just about sums up everything.
Posted Image

#37 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

This ^

That 8-1 game was actually scoreless after the 1st period too so it's not like the Canucks were out of it right off the bat. That hit by Rome woke up something angry in the Bruins that game and they destroyed us.

Scoring was why we did not win the cup plain and simple, anyone who puts the blame on Luongo is ignorant and needs to learn something about hockey. If you only score 8 goals in a series and still get to game 7 you must have had some pretty stellar goaltending along the way

#38 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

This ^

That 8-1 game was actually scoreless after the 1st period too so it's not like the Canucks were out of it right off the bat. That hit by Rome woke up something angry in the Bruins that game and they destroyed us.

Scoring was why we did not win the cup plain and simple, anyone who puts the blame on Luongo is ignorant and needs to learn something about hockey. If you only score 8 goals in a series and still get to game 7 you must have had some pretty stellar goaltending along the way

That's lousy logic. Luongo isn't to blame for everything, but he clearly was part of the problem.

Schneider is clearly our future, and he needs to learn to handle a relatively full starters work load. If Luongo stays this season, we should look to Luongo if Schneider falters.

#39 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

I never knew Luongo was a football player,,,,,,,,what postion?

Okay seriously? Clearly i was referring to the stanley cup which is grey, why i even post here sometimes with these replys makes me really angry.

Edited by CodyHodgson's #1fan, 02 November 2012 - 04:45 AM.

Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#40 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

This ^

Yes. Luongo was stellar in 3 games, mediocre to terrible in the other 4.
Thomas on the other hand was excellent in all 7 games while only giving up the 8 goals we scored throughout the entire series. This while facing the most shots ever in a SCF I do believe.

#41 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Okay seriously? Clearly i was referring to the stanley cup which is grey, why i even post here sometimes with these replys makes me really angry.

You aren't fooling anybody, nobody calls the Stanley cup the grey cup. It's ok everyone has slips of the lip (or finger) at times, no need to get defensive.

#42 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hey, I was only poking you a little, as a guy who gets slammed on here regularly, I know how it feels, so sorry if I poked you too hard, I did know you were talking the Stanley Cup.......so I was just being a jerk and teasing you...for the record, I hate the word police, as I am always getting names wrong, but I don't usually get my sports wrong. Keep posting, and sharing you ideas and posts and don't take anything on here too seriously, cause right now there is much to talk about, so you never know when or where a good idea will be thrown out there, or even by whom.

Cheers ( And Sorry! )

#43 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

While I would like him, having 9.3 million in goalie salaries is no way to win the cup.

No but trading him for nothing to get rid of him accomplishes nothing since there are no good players we can just pick up for free anyway.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#44 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

No but trading him for nothing to get rid of him accomplishes nothing since there are no good players we can just pick up for free anyway.

Who said there are no good players we can trade him for? All we need is a second liner (that will pass) to add to our team, I'm sure we can get that.

#45 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Who said there are no good players we can trade him for? All we need is a second liner (that will pass) to add to our team, I'm sure we can get that.

we can easily get a 2nd liner for Lu, if not a bit more

alot of people really underestimate his value

Edited by Primus099, 02 November 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#46 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

we can easily get a 2nd liner for Lu, if not a bit more

alot of people really underestimate his value

Agreed, let's hope.....

Edited by Nino, 02 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#47 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

He may not be the whole problem but he didn't help himself much.

Moving Lou for a second liner would help more then keeping him.

IMO I'm hoping kass can help as well but lets keep this in prospective, he's a forth line player that has trouble cracking the lineup till he can show us he can be more.

Moving Lou for a second liner... the guy has been the most consistent goalie in the NHL the past 6-7 years... he's still in the top 3 best goalies in the league... how do you guys under value him so much. MG should have been fired for not trading Schneider at the deadline, if we had got a decent return for him it would be us raising the cup n not the kings

Trading Lou for anything other than a star d man or winger is a joke.

Edited by apollo, 04 November 2012 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#48 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hope you go somewhere nice Lu, would love to give you another chance, but not at the expense of taking it from Schnieds. Cory is simply the man.

#49 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Moving Lou for a second liner... the guy has been the most consistent goalie in the NHL the past 6-7 years... he's still in the top 3 best goalies in the league... how do you guys under value him so much. MG should have been fired for not trading Schneider at the deadline, if we had got a decent return for him it would be us raising the cup n not the kings

Trading Lou for anything other than a star d man or winger is a joke.

1. Consistent in the regular season, far from it in the playoffs.
2. He is rarely top 3 in any goaltending category, therefore he is not a "top 3 goalie".
3. Some undervalue him, some drastically overvalue him. Consistent regular season goalie on the decline with an albatross contract.
4. Not trading Schneider is the last thing that Gillis should be fired for. With a decent return for Schneider we would've won the Stanley Cup you say? Not with the way Luongo gets lit up year after year, and dont forget the 7 goals he gave up in the first 2 games at home to LA.
5. Expecting a star D or star winger for Luongo is the real joke. No team will offer anything of the sort for an overrated, mentally fragile, technically unsound, aging goalie with a lifetime contract who cannot assure a team a berth in the playoffs (career with Florida, 2008 with Canucks).

#50 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

You say he only cost us one game, I would question that and say he cost us all the games in Boston. You can't say we wouldn't have had a better outing if it was a game we were in and possibly scored more goals?

But let's say he only cost us one game, just so you know we lost in 7, that one game was a big one.

Let's not forget the games in the first round he cost us as well. He is a great goalie at times but not consistent and that's why management is parting ways with him.

Yes but I'm not sure if you noticed but after Bergeron scored that fluke goal in Game 7 to make it 1-0, our team's intensity level completely deflated and it declined drastically to the point we never even tried anymore. I remember it clearly. We were playing at 200% if that's even possible but after Bergeron scored, our team literally gave up. Sure, we had our moments in that game but it wasn't as intense as it was when it was still scoreless.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.