The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What phone should I get?

Tom Sestito

I switched from an iPhone 4 to a 5 today and I don't notice anything dramatically different. If you're starting a new contract and wanted an iPhone on a three year plan the pricing with Rogers and Telus have 4's starting at 0$ and 4s's starting at 80$. In Edmonton that is.

Just get an iPad mini with 3G cellular. Pay $30/month for internet and install a VOIP that takes advantage of the internet to make your 5-10 minute/month call. No need to get a cell phone. If iPod touch had the 3G cellular thing, I would've recommended that. You don't need a phone it seems.

I would wait until Nokia Lumia 920, Nexus 4, HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV come to the market. With the new innovations that these upcoming phones will have and the lack of breakthrough improvement for Apple's latest iPhone, I would just wait. I have looked at Nokia Lumia 920 spec sheet and it seems to have the BEST GPS and camera on the market. Nokia Lumia 920 has GPS (Global Positioning System), A-GPS (Assisted-GPS), S-GPS (Simultaneous-GPS) and GLONASS (Russian based Global Navigation Satellite System. Not to mention Nokia maps, Nokia drive, citylens and Augmented reality. Am really looking forward to see what Windows Phone 8 will achieve with the introduction of Windows 8 to the PC world.

Having the Samsung Note, and knowing the Note 2 is even bigger, while it's an awesome phone/tablet/phablet, it would not be favourable to your battery requisite.

From the simple things you want, I would go the cost effective route of getting a simple text phone, text Facebook and Twitter for updates, so all you need from your carrier is a simple small-minutes-high-text plan.

Or, if you can get a simple data text phone (kinda like the Sony Xperia Mini Pro) and convince the carrier to drop data+text and put you on a tablet plan, so you can text and make calls with apps like Talkatone and Google Voice, then that is a cheaper long term alternative that would also require more effort.

I wouldn't get the S3 personally, the new Nexus 4 is coming out in a few weeks, $350 unlocked and has essentially all the same features as the S3 but is googles flagship phone. If you don't like the bigger phones go for the iPhone 5. Basically it should be a choice between the 3 phones (S3, Nexus 4, iPhone 5 in my opinion).

I wouldn't get the S3 personally, the new Nexus 4 is coming out in a few weeks, $350 unlocked and has essentially all the same features as the S3 but is googles flagship phone. If you don't like the bigger phones go for the iPhone 5. Basically it should be a choice between the 3 phones (S3, Nexus 4, iPhone 5 in my opinion).

i'm sure all the iphone people will crap all over this but honestly if you're going to be using alot of data and doing alot of texting just get a blackberry, the keyboard on them is ideal for texting/typing better than any other phone out there. Also data is condensed on blackberries so it uses alot less, guy at the store told me if you use 500mb of data with a blackberry you'd use about 3 times that with an iphone

Archived