50 replies to this topic

#31 moz

moz

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

^^^ Even at the airport it's not going to cost 16 quid for a pop and magazine.

30arfw2.gif

Thanks to myself for the sig

#32 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

The Island of Capri just off the coast of Naples is definitly worth a visit! Bringa swim suit and go for a swim in the Blue Grotto sea cave, don't pay for the boat tours it's cheaper and more fun to swim it if your a strong swimmer.

Me and one of my friends could probably manage, the others probably wouldn't. Don't want to spend my vacation saving people from drowning, that's what work is for :lol:

Regardless, it's looking like we won't be going to Naples. Our schedule is already pretty hectic and it's a little out of the way from the rest of our planned route.
Posted Image

#33 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Anyone ever done this before?

My friends and I are going to Europe in Early July to mid August for 5 weeks. Planning on going through Germany > Austria > Italy > France > England > Ireland > Belgium (For Tomorrowland) > Holland > back To Germany. I've been to Europe 15 times with my parents to see family but this is a completely new thing to me.

How are the trains, lodging (Hostels or cheap hotels), things to see and do and budget we should bring.

Most excited for this. Tomorrowland in Belgium on July 27th, 28th and 29th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWb5Qc-fBvk

How are the hostels in Europe you say?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

How are the hostels in Europe you say?

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's why you don't go to Slovakia.

Edited by Armada, 29 October 2012 - 05:14 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#35 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

hostels range from really nice 2 beds to a room with its own washroom and card key security in some scandanavian countries to a mattress on a bare floor covered in mattresses in Greece. Strangely the prices dont vary as much as the places do

Posted Image

#36 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Invaluable experience that has sexual cache even years later.

biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#37 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,190 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Damn, you could have been sleeping on the train seat next to us. Did all of Europe in 1990 in 3 months. 104 days including 2 weeks in Bremen with relatives at the start. August to Mid Nov. We had the 3 month Eurail pass. We slept on trains all the time. We would take a train to somewhere just to have a place to sleep for free, get up in the middle of the night to switch trains and continue sleeping all the way back to our actual next stop. Hostels every few nights just to have a place to shower more than anything. Since we would be traveling into November we did A north to South approach that worked well so we were in Italy, Greece and along the Med in Spain and Portugal into November. We were on budget at about $25-30 a day.

In the Greek islands forget Santorini and its picture perfect towns. Go to IOS to party. Holy mother of god that was crazy. At least it was 22 years ago...it was packed with German and English girls on vacation.

If there in Mid July get to Pamplona Spain for the running of the bulls every morning from the 7th to 14th.(we missed it)
If your there In late September be in Munich for at least one night of Oktoberfest.( we slept on top of the lockers in the train station as every Hostel was packed for 100 miles in every direction).
proudly display the Canadian Flag on your pack and clothing. People everywhere love Canadians and for good reason, we are awesome.

Did England, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Austria, Denmark, Belgium,France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, The Netherlands, Monaco, and a very ill advised side trip over to Morocco.

We never stayed anywhere more than 1 night unless it was a big deal like Paris or Rome which got 2 nights. Berlin got 3 because we didnt realize what a big deal Reunification day was going to be.

Looking back I wish we had done another month at least. We could have swung it. We missed Ireland and Scotland entirely and more days in some places would have been nice. This was in 1990. There was no internet. You should be able to do much better than we did with planning.

Oh cool, I went from May to Sept 121 days 3 month eurorail pass. I spent the other time at my relatives in England and had to get a job to make some money because I ran out. went to like 15 countries.

Eurorail pass also gets you on some ferries or it did just had to pay port tax took one from italy to Greece spent 5-7 days on Corfu then onto Athens and made our way to Istanbul that was fun because pass is no good in Turkey so we took a cab and then he did'nt want to take us to istanbul and dropped us some town so we refused to pay him and he was'nt going to open his trunk with our stuff then a Turkish Police came over and he made the Greek cab to give our stuff and we paid him 1/2 for the cab ride.lol... took a bus from there.... Another one we took a boat from france to ireland.

Edited by Dittohead, 30 October 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#38 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Oh cool, I went from May to Sept 121 days 3 month eurorail pass. I spent the other time at my relatives in England and had to get a job to make some money because I ran out. went to like 15 countries.

Eurorail pass also gets you on some ferries or it did just had to pay port tax took one from italy to Greece spent 5-7 days on Corfu then onto Athens and made our way to Istanbul that was fun because pass is no good in Turkey so we took a cab and then he did'nt want to take us to istanbul and dropped us some town so we refused to pay him and he was'nt going to open his trunk with our stuff then a Turkish Police came over and he made the Greek cab to give our stuff and we paid him 1/2 for the cab ride.lol... took a bus from there.... Another one we took a boat from france to ireland.

Hehe. We had a Greek cab driver to take us from Athens to the coast for the ferry to Italy because the train conductors ( or workers) were on strike at that time.It was a long drive but we split the cost between 4 of us. Im pretty sure we ended up paying him more than we agreed upon. Yeah the pass was no good in Czechoslovakia or Hungary back then either but the train fare in those eastern block countries was almost nothing. $5 from Vienna to Budapest.

Posted Image

#39 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

So we're flying to Munich and going to be there for 2 nights. Anyone have any suggestions, we already know about the beer :lol:

Edited by Armada, 30 October 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

#40 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'd like to backpack Europe too but wouldn't that be heavy bro?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#41 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

So we're flying to Munich and going to be there for 2 nights. Anyone have any suggestions, we already know about the beer :lol:

Englicher Gartens is nice. The Chinicher Turm has a beer garden which is great on a sunny day.

Also Dachau is nearby.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#42 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

Englicher Gartens is nice. The Chinicher Turm has a beer garden which is great on a sunny day.

Also Dachau is nearby.

Yeah we'll definitely be going to a beer garden or two.

Might not make for the happiest of days, but Dachau would be a really interesting experience.
Will definitely be something we'll consider doing.

Edited by Jägermeister, 31 October 2012 - 01:16 AM.

Posted Image

#43 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

It you have time rent a car and go check out this castle near Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein_CastleIt's the castle Walt Disney modeled the Disneyland castle on.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#44 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

So rumour has it, that despite it being a great city to see, London isn't the best city for students to backpack through.
Apparently everything is horribly expensive, not to mention the fact that getting to and from England could also be a hassle.
Would it be worth going to England for 3 or 4 days, or might that time be best spent elsewhere?
Posted Image

#45 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

So rumour has it, that despite it being a great city to see, London isn't the best city for students to backpack through.
Apparently everything is horribly expensive, not to mention the fact that getting to and from England could also be a hassle.
Would it be worth going to England for 3 or 4 days, or might that time be best spent elsewhere?

Id personally skip England. It does nothing for me and London is really expensive compared to other capitals.

Ive been a couple of times for work and for visiting friends and theres definitely interesting historical stuff but i find the continent more interesting.

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#46 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

So how does train pass work?

Can we go on ANY train in any of the countries the pass is valid for and what if we're passing through a country, such as training from Germany to Italy via Austria do we still need to buy a train pass for Austria even though we're not stopping?
Posted Image

#47 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

The best thing about getting a Eurail pass is the flexability it affords. Miss your stop,which we did constantly as we slept on the trains, and you just get off wherever you wake up. A train to take you back will be along sooner or later and theres always something to see or do everywhere. Train stations are in the middle of cities as they grew up around the stations so you are right there when you get off. Not at an airport 2 hours outside the town. I couldnt imagine seeing Europe by air unless I was just going to 3 or 4 cities.

And you meet people on trains. Especially when backpacking. Everyone sees that Canadian flag and wants to talk to you. Fellow travelers, students, local folks, So many Europeans speak at least some English. When we werent sleeping we had as much fun hanging out on the trains as anywhere. As with all traveling you remember the people that you meet and travel with more than the actual places you go to.

The moral: If you want to backpack Europe you get a Eurail pass and do it right.

Posted Image

#48 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Depends on the pass you get.

Generally the pass is good from point A to point B regardless of which country you pass through.

There might be restrictions on which trains you can use such as high speed, during peak times etc.

Eurorail ive not done but i understand it good for pretty much everything. Obviously you pay for that.

If you are in germany during the weekend you can look into Happy Wochenden ticket which is ridiculously cheap and good for unlimited travel for up to 4 people for the weekend. Though you are restricted to the slow stop at every village trains, which can be nice if you have the time and enjoy seeing the countryside by train.

Logic at its finest.

#49 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

So how does train pass work?

Can we go on ANY train in any of the countries the pass is valid for and what if we're passing through a country, such as training from Germany to Italy via Austria do we still need to buy a train pass for Austria even though we're not stopping?

Yeah. if you get the standard Eurail global pass for every day within 3 months from date of activation you can travel on pretty well any train in the 23 participating countries in Europe. Get on and of anywhere you want whenever you want. No reservations, no booking ahead. Just go. From one end of Europe to the other or just to the next town down the line. Some high speed trains charge a premium you would have to pay to travel on them but those are pretty rare.

There are quite a few "lesser" passes as well. For shorter time periods or for individual countries, or travel on 10 days within 2 months or regional passes etc. Go to Eurail.com to get the full low down with pricing.

P.S. Eurail and Eurorail are both considered correct.

Edited by Offensive Threat, 03 November 2012 - 08:21 PM.

Posted Image

#50 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

The best thing about getting a Eurail pass is the flexability it affords. Miss your stop,which we did constantly as we slept on the trains, and you just get off wherever you wake up. A train to take you back will be along sooner or later and theres always something to see or do everywhere. Train stations are in the middle of cities as they grew up around the stations so you are right there when you get off. Not at an airport 2 hours outside the town. I couldnt imagine seeing Europe by air unless I was just going to 3 or 4 cities.

And you meet people on trains. Especially when backpacking. Everyone sees that Canadian flag and wants to talk to you. Fellow travelers, students, local folks, So many Europeans speak at least some English. When we werent sleeping we had as much fun hanging out on the trains as anywhere. As with all traveling you remember the people that you meet and travel with more than the actual places you go to.

The moral: If you want to backpack Europe you get a Eurail pass and do it right.

Awesome thanks.

So does this mean you never booked a hostel or hotel ahead of time?
Posted Image

#51 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Got our tickets booked. :towel:

What we're planning right now is too book our Hostels for the 5 major cities we're visiting along the way in advance (Munich, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin) but not for cities such as Florence, Marseille, Milan, Nice, etc... Is it going to be hard to find a hostel that's not booked up during July or will 4 people be fine getting in to one with no problem by just showing up.

Edited by Armada, 07 November 2012 - 08:55 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.