The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hurricane Sandy

Wetcoaster

Tonne of pics from the storm, crazy stuff!

http://www.thedailyb...ath-photos.html

Seaside Heights is badly flooded, boardwalk damaged from Sandy

11781268-large.jpg

The Jet Star roller coaster in Seaside Heights is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean this morning. Jersey Shore Hurricane News

SEASIDE HEIGHTS — The Seaside Heights boardwalk has been warped at most sections and completely destroyed in others, and a piece of the Jet Star rollercoaster is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean.

Several parts of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park are badly flooded with water clawing up to the doors of houses. Rt. 37 is also drowned with about six feet of swell from the bay.

Several businesses on the beachfront have been severely damaged and the boardwalk is buckled upwards in some parts and crumbled in others.

An amusement ride that once hung over the water is also completely washed away, its first hill climbing towards the sky then disappearing into nothing.

The first street off the boardwalk is covered for blocks in sands and debris.

Cause I really care...

I still maintain that there's not as much damage as there could have been. Of course there's mass power outages and coastal cities are flattened, but when you compare it to other natural disasters, it's not that bad.

35 dead? That's a miracle, when consider the natural disasters that hit places like the Thailand and kill thousands of people. Or the Tsunami that hit Japan and killed 16,000 people.

Will someone just punch him already? What a colossal douchebag!

Trump is a mental case. He's making a mockery of the governance of America. Didn't have the you-know-whats to run for election himself but bashes the guy who is a hundred times more educated and ethical than Trump will ever be.

I know. I'm just trying to provide some perspective in all this. Because CNN tries to suck people in and sell destruction, and I was just trying to counter that.

If people's worst problem is that they don't have power, then they should be very thankful. If your still alive, and your house is standing, be thankful. It's not a tragedy to not have power, or to lose your car. Those things can be fixed and replaced.

When you consider the scale of this storm, to have as little casualties as they have so far is pretty amazing. Especially when you consider the storm that hit the pacific northwest in 2006 was responsible for 18 deaths. And there was about 30 times less people affected in that storm.

The fact that buses in New York are up and running again says it all.

When you consider the infrastructure damage, repair costs/times, and loss of dollars in economy, this will add up to more than any other hurricane.

LGA is flooded, JFK isn't opening until later, about 16000 flights have been cancelled, the MTA metro system is flooded and will take weeks before it is back to being fully functioning, tunnels are flooded and could have structural damage, not to mention the amount of damage to homes and high-rises. No power and no telecommunications in parts of Manhattan and most likely the other boroughs as well. This is just NYC.

The space (in km2) is smaller than other places like Florida or Louisiana, but given the amount of capital in NYC, the amount of businesses in the city, as well as its importance as a shipping/transportation hub, this disaster is much bigger than some posters in this thread make it out to be.

Tonne of pics from the storm, crazy stuff!

http://www.thedailyb...ath-photos.html

Seaside Heights is badly flooded, boardwalk damaged from Sandy

11781268-large.jpg

The Jet Star roller coaster in Seaside Heights is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean this morning. Jersey Shore Hurricane News

SEASIDE HEIGHTS — The Seaside Heights boardwalk has been warped at most sections and completely destroyed in others, and a piece of the Jet Star rollercoaster is hanging into the Atlantic Ocean.

Several parts of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park are badly flooded with water clawing up to the doors of houses. Rt. 37 is also drowned with about six feet of swell from the bay.

Several businesses on the beachfront have been severely damaged and the boardwalk is buckled upwards in some parts and crumbled in others.

An amusement ride that once hung over the water is also completely washed away, its first hill climbing towards the sky then disappearing into nothing.

The first street off the boardwalk is covered for blocks in sands and debris.

It's interesting to see how people in north america measure disaster compared to other parts of the world.

People throw around the words "catastrophe", "tragedy" and "devastation" so casually. As if not having running water or power is a tragedy.

It seems like people try to measure their sorrow by how incovenienced they are by this whole thing. Just be thankful you're alive. All other things are just possessions. They don't have any real value compared to human life. One guy was actually complaining that his pool and his boat were damaged...Who cares? That's not a tragedy. Most people in the world don't even own a boat or a pool.

Just interesting to look at different people's perspectives in the world.

It's interesting to see how people in north america measure disaster compared to other parts of the world.

People throw around the words "catastrophe", "tragedy" and "devastation" so casually. As if not having running water or power is a tragedy.

It seems like people try to measure their sorrow by how incovenienced they are by this whole thing. Just be thankful you're alive. All other things are just possessions. They don't have any real value compared to human life. One guy was actually complaining that his pool and his boat were damaged...Who cares? That's not a tragedy. Most people in the world don't even own a boat or a pool.

Just interesting to look at different people's perspectives in the world.

Thanks, but this is the United States, and in particular, NYC we're talking about. It's then best to use US-based resources and to use a US-based definition of "disaster" than to compare it to global disasters/tragedies.

I suggest you search FEMA's definition of how they define "disaster" before any more of your diatribes.

time to rebuild. like always...

RIP for every victim in USA and Canada...

I remembered when I faced a hurricane while living in USA, apart from the "panic" from the population my previuos training done in Aviation helped me a lot. especialy because I know use aviation and nautical frequencies if I need help...

1) ok. you need food, but try eat less and keep fine for more time. it doesn´t matter if you have tons of food and water if you eat a lot. it´s a lot of wheight to handle, only get the food/water on the amount that you can handle...

2) prepare yourself for anything including loss of total comunication, tell everyone far from you what is your action plan if something goes wrong. normaly it help them to know what your are planning if something goes very wrong...

3) if you have some radio with you be sure that you know how use it. aviation and nautical emergency frequencies can be useful even if you don´t know the specific codes...

5) many things can be used as food, if the problem become serius some bugs can be a powerfull source of food, it´s nasty but it´s food. do not avoid if you need...

6) learn how filter some water and understand that sprite, milk or any juice contais water and sugar. it´s a powerfull source of energy. chocolate and other candies are also recomended, but not soo much...

7) a GPS isn´t useful if you don´t know how report your position with precision, you can check your position every 4 or 6 hours, save batery. use a compass and maps, check your position using everything like the sun, stars, rivers, mountais, destroyed buildings etc...

8) airplanes flying around you and ships on the sea can be used to check your position if you are lost, if an airplane is going close to the ground means that you can find and airbase/airport/airfiel close to you...

9) you don´t have to wash your clothes and take a shower. a nasty smell sometimes is useful to find and be founded...

10) save electrical energy, even a cellphone with no signal can be used as a lantern, use it in cycles, 10 minutes on for every 4 hours is enouth.

11) if you came from a diferent country know the phone of your embassy. it´s the fastest way to return to your country or to help you if you need...

12) NEVER walk or move from your position if you don´t have a PRECISE plan of what you gonna do. movements require energy and in a disaster you don´t have a lot of it and you have to save it as much as you can...

All you have to do is look at the literal definitions of these words to know that they don't apply. I could care less what FEMA defines it as. They've already proven to be an incompetent organization.

Most every other nation in the world measures catastrophes by the loss of human life. In North America we seem to measure it by dollar amounts. Which is a backwards way of thinking to me.

Just because this is what the media tries to feed you, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

Archived