The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hurricane Sandy

Wetcoaster

I´m surprised how this happen EVERY hurricane/tornado in USA. they have zillions of them per year and they don´t learn? EVERY hurricane/tornado USA suffer with fuel, eletricity, food. JAPAN has many problems (or worse) like this but seems they don´t suffer soo much like USA...

the media in US is too agressive that´s why the entire world pay attention on it. in south america´s jungle rains more than in USA, we have extreme floodings but we/they don´t receive that much attention...

That´s the problem. Japan knows how deal with disasters because they have it all the time and because they know work as a team even with low resources...

for example. why do you need store 20 liters of water? you can store 3 or 4 and obtain the rest from the rain and survive for weeks!

when I was in US my neighbours asked me why I didn´t stored 5 gallons of water and zillions of pounds of food. I just said "It´s for an emergency not for a holiday..." and because I learned on my training how survive a lot with very little...

you can filter the water, you can hunt, fish and eat fruits. you don´t have to buy 10 US Gals of water if you have 3 gallons of milk...

and of course "don´t panic!", if everybody helps each other everybody will be fine. If I store 10 liters of water you can store 20kgs of food and we can share, soo everybody will be free to store or do a single task better. much better than everyone trying to survive by themselves...

in the big cities in SA we have this every year, rains more than US and nobody goes nut, they simply deal with that as they can deal. no media, no press and no FOX News (thank god!).

Imagine a Tsunami hiting USA? they would collapse or what? Japan didn´t...

Japan is the exception.

Here in the west, when disaster strikes... "OMG! 12 bottles of waters left? ALL MINE! Bring out the guns and bayonets! Everyone for themselves!! ARGH!!!"

In Japan, "Oh crap! Tsunami/Earthquake! 12 bottles of waters left? I guess I'll just take one since all my neighbours needs them too. Hey everybody, lets team up and wait calmly until relief arrives."

Of course, the infrastructure is better in Japan. Hurricane Sandy would have been a passing rain storm in Japan. If last year's quake/tsunami somehow happened in the Eastern Seaboard, we'd probably be talking about hundreds of thousands/millions killed and probably collapse of the US.

Good call on cancelling the NYC Marathon imo

Parts of the State still don't have power and they had everyone focused on clearing the marathon route and getting all set up for that. I don't think that's proper prioritizing. Sucks for the people who trained for it, I know, but it's the right call.

did I miss something here?  the sendai tsunami ravaged japan, and the nuclear crisis was on for the entire yr, and we still have radioactive fishes.  my best friend evacuated tokyo because he didnt want his pregnant wife to give birth in a potential nuclear zone.  yeah, go ahead and drink the radioactive rain water.  

my other friend couldnt contact his folks in sendai cause all the cell towers were out.  they couldnt send food or supplies cause the roads were screwed.

the kobe earthquake was terrible too.  so many got burned to death cause fire rescue couldnt get to them

when there is a truly major disaster, no one is prepared for it.

ok. was a TERRIBLE disaster and no one is fully prepared for anything. the diference is how much you want survive. the radiation is of course serious but you must go on, kill birds or any other rodents...since one day I almost died crashing and 400km/h on an airplane killing every passenger and escaped from the airplane with 2 legs broken and blood on every single part of my body in the middle of damm jungle I do not complain anymore about anything. the Russian doctor who helped me said "the fact of you be alive is considered an insult to every religion on this planet because you should be dead, your airplane was completely destroyed, passengers killed, fire, hot oil on your face and you´re still here insulting me"I still remember how the air force found me, spiting blood on a sprite botle and trying to drink it...no one is prepared, the diference is, if you want survive, you simply do...

The New Jersey government is targeting businesses that are price gouging residents and taking advantage of the shortage of goods and services in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy during the state of emergency.

New Jersey's price gouging statute, N.J.S.A. 56:8-107, et. seq., makes it illegal to set excessive price increases during a declared state of emergency or for 30 days after the termination of the state of emergency. The law defines excessive increases as any more than 10 percent higher than the price at which the merchandise was sold in the usual course of business prior to the state of emergency. If the seller faces additional costs imposed by suppliers or logistical concerns, an excessive increase is any that is 10 percent above the normal markup from cost. Violations are punishable by civil penalties of up to $10,000 for the first offense and $20,000 for the second and subsequent offenses. Each individual sale of merchandise is considered a separate and distinct event.

Per the press release from the Office of the Governor for the State f New Jersey:

(NJ) Governor Chris Christie, Attorney General Jeffrey S. Chiesa, and the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs today announced that the Division has issued subpoenas to 65 businesses across the State, intensifying its investigation into more than 500 consumer complaints about alleged price gouging.

"Having visited some of the hardest-hit areas of our state, and having seen firsthand the suffering people are experiencing, I assure New Jersey's residents and retailers that we are taking a zero-tolerance approach to price gouging," said Governor Christie. "Fuel, electricity, food, and a place to sleep are not luxuries, certainly not for individuals who have been displaced from their homes and in many cases have limited resources at their disposal. We are not asking businesses to function as charities. We require that they obey New Jersey's laws - or pay significant penalties."

Attorney General Chiesa noted that the Division has received allegations of price gouging from all regions of the state, with complaints particularly prominent in Bergen, Essex, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, and Passaic counties. The top complaint categories are:
  • Gasoline, with gas prices in some cases allegedly rising by $1 or more per gallon immediately following the storm, in some cases allegedly exceeding $5 per gallon. The Division has also received complaints about gas stations charging more to fill up hand-held canisters than to fill car gas tanks, in apparent violation of state Motor Fuels Act protections related to fuel prices.

• Generators, Batteries and Non-Gasoline Fuels such as propane; with generator prices allegedly doubling from pre-storm prices.

• Food, including reports of unexpectedly high prices at convenience stores and restaurants in certain areas, affecting consumers who are unable to cook a hot meal at home due to power outages.

• Lodging, including complaints about hotels and motels significantly raising their prices, allegedly for rooms that were rented at much lower rates before the storm.

"We have deployed 45 investigators into the field, and our investigative teams will continue to take consumers' calls and investigate complaints through the weekend," Attorney General Chiesa said. "We expect that, by the end of the weekend, we will have issued 100 subpoenas to gas stations, requiring them to provide their receipts and other information to demonstrate their prices, and the costs they faced, both before and during the state of emergency."

Eric T. Kanefsky, Acting Director of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, said, "One of the most important steps a consumer can take to protect himself or herself is to demand a written receipt. Some businesses reportedly refused to issue receipts, or stated that their cash registers were unable to provide automated receipts due to power failures. You are still entitled to demand a written receipt that indicates the business sold you a given item for a given price on a given day. If it becomes necessary to file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Affairs, you will want to provide copies of receipts and any other documentation that may be available."

Consumers who suspect price gouging or any other violation of consumer protection laws, particularly as a result of Hurricane Sandy, are urged to call the Division of Consumer Affairs at (800) 242-5846.

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/news/news/552012/approved/20121102h.html

did I miss something here? the sendai tsunami ravaged japan, and the nuclear crisis was on for the entire yr, and we still have radioactive fishes. my best friend evacuated tokyo because he didnt want his pregnant wife to give birth in a potential nuclear zone. yeah, go ahead and drink the radioactive rain water.

my other friend couldnt contact his folks in sendai cause all the cell towers were out. they couldnt send food or supplies cause the roads were screwed.

the kobe earthquake was terrible too. so many got burned to death cause fire rescue couldnt get to them

when there is a truly major disaster, no one is prepared for it.

Wasn't as bad as the media was portraying it. Some networks were talking about how this will be worse than Chernobyl and stuff, which was completely ludicrous.

I have lots of friends and future in-laws in Japan, life is basically as normal as normal can be. Heck, my future bro-in-law just ran a marathon through Fukushima, it's safe.

But in any case, I was talking about the reaction for disasters between the US and a country like Japan. In the USA, if something like the earthquake/tsunami hit them, we'd be talking about potentially hundreds of thousands killed, the collapse of civil order, etc.

The Americans have it totally messed up from government responses, to civic duty, etc.

Japan is the exception.

Here in the west, when disaster strikes... "OMG! 12 bottles of waters left? ALL MINE! Bring out the guns and bayonets! Everyone for themselves!! ARGH!!!"

In Japan, "Oh crap! Tsunami/Earthquake! 12 bottles of waters left? I guess I'll just take one since all my neighbours needs them too. Hey everybody, lets team up and wait calmly until relief arrives."

Of course, the infrastructure is better in Japan. Hurricane Sandy would have been a passing rain storm in Japan. If last year's quake/tsunami somehow happened in the Eastern Seaboard, we'd probably be talking about hundreds of thousands/millions killed and probably collapse of the US.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/336054

Staten Island - The bodies of two Staten Island boys, swept away by raging flood waters from Hurricane Sandy after being denied shelter by a homeowner, were recovered on Thursday.

On Monday, Glenda Moore was taking her two children to the home of a relative prior to going to her nursing job. A sudden surge of water slammed into the family's SUV, forcing the vehicle off the roadway and into a marshy area. Moore managed to free her two children, 2-year old Brandon, and 4-year-old Connor, clinging to them as waves of water continued to batter them. Moore knocked on the door of an adjacent home, asking the homeowner to let her and her children in, but the homeowner refused. Moore took a flower pot and tried to knock out a window to gain entry into the house, all the while still clinging to her two boys. A rush of water struck Moore, ripping the children out of her arms.

Moore sought shelter on a front porch and waited out the storm. When Moore saw a passing emergency vehicle around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, she began desperately trying to flag them down. After telling emergency officials what had happened, police immediately launched a search for the missing boys. Despite suffering from hypothermia, Moore assisted in the search. According to the Huffington Post, the bodies of the two young boys were found at the end of a dead end street. CNN spoke with the owner of the house where Moore said she sought shelter for herself and her two children. The homeowner denied that Moore ever knocked on his door. Instead, he claims a man broke out his back door and told the owner to come outside. When told that the two children had died, the homeowner said:

"It's unfortunate. She shouldn't have been out though. You know, it's one of those things."

This guy looks guilty as they come to me. Hostility to start with; didn't seem to give a damn. And what, the mother made the whole story up?

@ 00:46

Video was created by casey neistat, sean avery and dean neistat.

To sum up the video, they spent around 4 hours biking around NYC and helped a man who was stuck in his car. People may hate him on the ice but he's put in quite an effort to help out over the past few days. He's been delivering pizzas, renting out food trucks to donate food and donated a hotel room that he'd previously booked for two nights. Definitely putting in a lot of effort. It's nice to see!

Archived