The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why WP8 and Windows RT will succeed?

Pouria

I had XP for a long time. It worked and worked well for me for many years. About 2 years ago I upgraded to win 7, late adopter but like I said XP worked well for me so had no reason to change but I eventually did when I upgraded my comp. Win 7 has been great. I have absolutely nothing bad to say in any way about Win 7. It works well, never crashes, Its just great. So why is someone here saying win 7 is so terrible, contrary to everything else anyone is saying, Whatever.Im not a Microsoft fanboy, if anything Im an Android fanboy and they dont swim in these waters so I stick to what works at the price point Im willing to spend and that rules out Apple leaving the good old PC.

Which brings me to Win 8. Win 7 works great so why would I want Win 8 right away? What does it offer me that 7 doesnt besides being new for news sake? I held on to win XP for years after 7 came out might hang on to 7 for years as well. But the upgrade to 8 is so cheap its basically free.....

And Win 8 phone..My contract is up in about a year. IF the win phone is better than what Android has at that time I may be moving on as well. And that coming from a android phone and tablet user since day 1.

Same, I completely bypassed the Vista era, and stuck hard and fast to XP for years.

I upgraded to win7 when it was released, and having tinkered around a bit with 8 on a VM, I can't say that I am too impressed. I know I'll probably make the switch at some point, but despite my gaming rig, part of me is seriously considering parting it out and going with an iMac. For all intents and purposes, I don't even really game that much at all.

Most of the games I will ever want to play can be run on Mac, and if not, then some console variant exists. We need to face the facts, a large portion of games nowadays are developed for console first, then ported to PC, sometimes with changes or enhancements.

Besides, any AAA title for PC is generally available for Mac, at least the ones I want to play...

Microsoft has also said they are not releasing Service Pack 2 for win7, so that's fantastic as well.

Windows 8 is quite brilliant in my opinion.

There is a new level of usability for people who aren't as computer-savvy, but the classic windows usability and customization are always close-by.

I tinkered around with the Microsoft Surface and it is a really nice tablet. The possibilities are endless really once developers have had a chance to catch up. The fact that you can easily use a regular Remote Desktop session on a windows tablet to access the regular interface of your desktop PC is one of a million exciting things with this OS.

The bottom line is the trend right now is innovation from every company that isn't Apple. Apple is in a holding pattern shall we say, making new iterations of old devices without much new just so they can cash in.

Either Apple will kick back into gear soon or people will truly start to notice.

Brilliant work by Microsoft in my opinion.

I had XP for a long time. It worked and worked well for me for many years. About 2 years ago I upgraded to win 7, late adopter but like I said XP worked well for me so had no reason to change but I eventually did when I upgraded my comp. Win 7 has been great. I have absolutely nothing bad to say in any way about Win 7. It works well, never crashes, Its just great. So why is someone here saying win 7 is so terrible, contrary to everything else anyone is saying, Whatever.Im not a Microsoft fanboy, if anything Im an Android fanboy and they dont swim in these waters so I stick to what works at the price point Im willing to spend and that rules out Apple leaving the good old PC.

Which brings me to Win 8. Win 7 works great so why would I want Win 8 right away? What does it offer me that 7 doesnt besides being new for news sake? I held on to win XP for years after 7 came out might hang on to 7 for years as well. But the upgrade to 8 is so cheap its basically free.....

And Win 8 phone..My contract is up in about a year. IF the win phone is better than what Android has at that time I may be moving on as well. And that coming from a android phone and tablet user since day 1.

Same, I completely bypassed the Vista era, and stuck hard and fast to XP for years.

I upgraded to win7 when it was released, and having tinkered around a bit with 8 on a VM, I can't say that I am too impressed. I know I'll probably make the switch at some point, but despite my gaming rig, part of me is seriously considering parting it out and going with an iMac. For all intents and purposes, I don't even really game that much at all.

Most of the games I will ever want to play can be run on Mac, and if not, then some console variant exists. We need to face the facts, a large portion of games nowadays are developed for console first, then ported to PC, sometimes with changes or enhancements.

Besides, any AAA title for PC is generally available for Mac, at least the ones I want to play...

Microsoft has also said they are not releasing Service Pack 2 for win7, so that's fantastic as well.

Make my desktop look like a smartphone, put all the commands into ribbons, constantly try to sell me stuff, limit access to the system (open platform smopen platform I guess), and try to store all my data in a cloud.

Think I will be buying that approximately never.

Make my desktop look like a smartphone, put all the commands into ribbons, constantly try to sell me stuff, limit access to the system (open platform smopen platform I guess), and try to store all my data in a cloud.

Think I will be buying that approximately never.

I already accept I am spied on 24-7 though I will open a Facebook or similar account right about the time hell freezes over.

It's the lousy speed of trying to run thing over any network let alone the internet that I dread.

That and trying to turn my pc into a touch screen smartphone. I am ok with the idea of ENABLING those options. It's the forcing of them that I hate.

I will never be forced to change because if I don't like it I will simply not use it.

Actually you don't even need to really use the metro UI as Windows 8 has kept the desktop option. In fact, you could even disable the metro UI and enable the start button on the desktop. The advantage that Windows 8 has over Windows 7 is the fact that it is a much lighter OS and will help increase the battery life of your laptop if you use it on a laptop. There is a lot of Pros than Cons IMO.

Why nobody cares

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft bills Windows 8 as a "re-imagining" of the personal computer market's dominant operating system, but the company still has a lot of work to do before the makeover captures the imagination of most consumers, based on the results of a recent poll by The Associated Press and GfK.

The phone survey of nearly 1,200 adults in the U.S. found 52 per cent hadn't even heard of Windows 8 leading up to Friday's release of the redesigned software.

Among the people who knew something about the new operating system, 61 per cent had little or no interest in buying a new laptop or desktop computer running on Windows 8, according to the poll. And only about a third of the people who've heard about the new system believe it will be an improvement (35 per cent).

Everything I have read is that they will not allow you to just start up on a "classic" desktop with start button and that they force you to the start screen. If they change that it would be a good start. (I would also like a "death to ribbons" option as well).

That it's a light OS would also be nice to people that use high powered cadd or gaming (depending on where I am) rigs since I never seem to have enough processing power.

It's doubtful I would even have a laptop since I don't like the little buttons. I spend enough time around computers to avoid needing one everywhere I go.

Windows 8 and RT will do fine. Microsoft should really be worried about Windows Phone 8. No one cares about Windows Phone 7 and 7.5. It was difficult enough for Android devices to get a foothold in people's minds (the Galaxy brand, and the Droid brand in the US are the only ones that seem to stick). Sure Android has a large share of the market, but its the myriad of devices that got it to that point. Will OEMs be willing to pump out that many WP8 devices? WP8 doesn't have the advantage of being the only alternative to the iPhone that Android was/is.

Maybe now that more people will be acquainted with the Metro interface (or whatever they're calling it now) WP8 will succeed. The bottom line is Microsoft has had an OS for cellphones for a while now, and it never really went anywhere. This looks like they're last shot.

Archived