Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Why WP8 and Windows RT will succeed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

So when upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows XP, do you have to re-install all your programs and back up your data before hand?!?

#32 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

So when upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows XP, do you have to re-install all your programs and back up your data before hand?!?

For Windows XP, I suggest backing up all your files since I think the upgrade would do a clean install of Windows 8 on your machine. I think the reason might be that XP is a pretty old OS now. Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is hassle free and you don't need to backup your files. Download the upgrade assistant, and it will tell you which drivers would need to be re-installed and which drivers are transferred to the new OS.

Posted Image

#33 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Make my desktop look like a smartphone, put all the commands into ribbons, constantly try to sell me stuff, limit access to the system (open platform smopen platform I guess), and try to store all my data in a cloud.

Think I will be buying that approximately never.

#34 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Make my desktop look like a smartphone, put all the commands into ribbons, constantly try to sell me stuff, limit access to the system (open platform smopen platform I guess), and try to store all my data in a cloud.

Think I will be buying that approximately never.

Well, that is the direction the computing world is going now. You either change now or will be forced to change at some point. Plus, Google and Facebook already has all your information.

Posted Image

#35 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Well, that is the direction the computing world is going now. You either change now or will be forced to change at some point. Plus, Google and Facebook already has all your information.

I already accept I am spied on 24-7 though I will open a Facebook or similar account right about the time hell freezes over.

It's the lousy speed of trying to run thing over any network let alone the internet that I dread.

That and trying to turn my pc into a touch screen smartphone. I am ok with the idea of ENABLING those options. It's the forcing of them that I hate.

I will never be forced to change because if I don't like it I will simply not use it.

#36 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

I already accept I am spied on 24-7 though I will open a Facebook or similar account right about the time hell freezes over.

It's the lousy speed of trying to run thing over any network let alone the internet that I dread.

That and trying to turn my pc into a touch screen smartphone. I am ok with the idea of ENABLING those options. It's the forcing of them that I hate.

I will never be forced to change because if I don't like it I will simply not use it.

Actually you don't even need to really use the metro UI as Windows 8 has kept the desktop option. In fact, you could even disable the metro UI and enable the start button on the desktop. The advantage that Windows 8 has over Windows 7 is the fact that it is a much lighter OS and will help increase the battery life of your laptop if you use it on a laptop. There is a lot of Pros than Cons IMO.

Posted Image

#37 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Actually you don't even need to really use the metro UI as Windows 8 has kept the desktop option. In fact, you could even disable the metro UI and enable the start button on the desktop. The advantage that Windows 8 has over Windows 7 is the fact that it is a much lighter OS and will help increase the battery life of your laptop if you use it on a laptop. There is a lot of Pros than Cons IMO.

Everything I have read is that they will not allow you to just start up on a "classic" desktop with start button and that they force you to the start screen. If they change that it would be a good start. (I would also like a "death to ribbons" option as well).

That it's a light OS would also be nice to people that use high powered cadd or gaming (depending on where I am) rigs since I never seem to have enough processing power.

It's doubtful I would even have a laptop since I don't like the little buttons. I spend enough time around computers to avoid needing one everywhere I go.

#38 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Why nobody cares

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft bills Windows 8 as a "re-imagining" of the personal computer market's dominant operating system, but the company still has a lot of work to do before the makeover captures the imagination of most consumers, based on the results of a recent poll by The Associated Press and GfK.

The phone survey of nearly 1,200 adults in the U.S. found 52 per cent hadn't even heard of Windows 8 leading up to Friday's release of the redesigned software.

Among the people who knew something about the new operating system, 61 per cent had little or no interest in buying a new laptop or desktop computer running on Windows 8, according to the poll. And only about a third of the people who've heard about the new system believe it will be an improvement (35 per cent).

http://ca.news.yahoo...2--finance.html

#39 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Everything I have read is that they will not allow you to just start up on a "classic" desktop with start button and that they force you to the start screen. If they change that it would be a good start. (I would also like a "death to ribbons" option as well).

That it's a light OS would also be nice to people that use high powered cadd or gaming (depending on where I am) rigs since I never seem to have enough processing power.

It's doubtful I would even have a laptop since I don't like the little buttons. I spend enough time around computers to avoid needing one everywhere I go.

Everything you've read? Seems you need to do a bit more reading. Disabling the Metro UI and having a start button is already viable.

Posted Image

#40 thelastguy

thelastguy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

Windows 8 and RT will do fine. Microsoft should really be worried about Windows Phone 8. No one cares about Windows Phone 7 and 7.5. It was difficult enough for Android devices to get a foothold in people's minds (the Galaxy brand, and the Droid brand in the US are the only ones that seem to stick). Sure Android has a large share of the market, but its the myriad of devices that got it to that point. Will OEMs be willing to pump out that many WP8 devices? WP8 doesn't have the advantage of being the only alternative to the iPhone that Android was/is.

Maybe now that more people will be acquainted with the Metro interface (or whatever they're calling it now) WP8 will succeed. The bottom line is Microsoft has had an OS for cellphones for a while now, and it never really went anywhere. This looks like they're last shot.

#41 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Everything you've read? Seems you need to do a bit more reading. Disabling the Metro UI and having a start button is already viable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAuvlmPbJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-VX-dhnZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7gO_jqBqk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojsmp7EiGaI

Oh boy, I can hack the registry to make it sort of the way I like it! Now I will rush out to get it! /end sarcasm

I will stick with windows 7 until I absolutely can't. I won't be making a Vista like purchase again this lifetime. If people are making youtube videos about how to put it into a non annoying way before it's even launched it should give you an indication of it's popularity.....

#42 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Oh boy, I can hack the registry to make it sort of the way I like it! Now I will rush out to get it! /end sarcasm

I will stick with windows 7 until I absolutely can't. I won't be making a Vista like purchase again this lifetime. If people are making youtube videos about how to put it into a non annoying way before it's even launched it should give you an indication of it's popularity.....

I'd suggest Linux if you have the patience to learn how it works. If by any means I'm forced from XP it won't be to Vista or 7, and looking like a "no" to Windows 8 as well, I'll swap mb's and move to Kubuntu and use a Windows emulator or dual boot XP if I must run that OS. Of course, note this isn't a rational discussion of Windows 8 it's random internet fanboy declaring Windows 8 the best thing since sliced bread.

Edited by zaibatsu, 30 October 2012 - 07:06 AM.

jDWeuKR.png

#43 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

I'd suggest Linux if you have the patience to learn how it works. If by any means I'm forced from XP it won't be to Vista or 7, and looking like a "no" to Windows 8 as well, I'll swap mb's and move to Kubuntu and use a Windows emulator or dual boot XP if I must run that OS. Of course, note this isn't a rational discussion of Windows 8 it's random internet fanboy declaring Windows 8 the best thing since sliced bread.

I will just stick with windows 7 as long as I can. If I get a new computer in a year or two and I am forced into windows 8 I will probably opt for Linux.

#44 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Well, I guess it is a preference. I actually don't find it annoying. If you are happy with Windows 7, then you don't need to change OS. But this is definitely not like Vista, not even close to being as terrible as that.

Posted Image

#45 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

If that comment is directed to me, then you must be out of your mind. I was just posting about the shift in direction that Windows is going through. Geez, you can't even give an opinion about an OS or a phone or a tablet without mindlessly being labeled a "fanboy". It has become such an annoying buzz word thrown randomly to discredit someone's opinion. No one is forcing you guys to install Windows 8 or change OS.

Posted Image

#46 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

I just upgraded to Windows 8 and it is a lighter Windows 7 that lacks the start button but has the metro UI which people seem to complain about a lot. Although, what will make Windows Phone 8, Windows RT and Windows 8 to succeed will be the fact that Windows 8 will be on every PC sold globally after October 26. With developers drooling at the thought of targeting potentially 300 million users, its no doubt that Microsoft App Store will explode with numerous in coming apps from developers around the globe. There is a reason why Windows 8 Pro upgrade package is subsidized to $39 while Windows 7 OS sells for more than $100. Microsoft wants to speed the adaptation of Windows 8 by all PC users so everyone who uses Windows XP, VISTA or Windows 7 can upgrade their OS to Windows 8 by paying only a nominal fee of $39. Microsoft is trying to create an ecosystem similar to what Apple has done and have all the devices that use their operating system be synchronized from Xbox 360 to Windows phone 8 to Microsoft Surface and PC. I would say Apple has a big competition, especially with the upcoming Windows 8 flagship phones from HTC, Samsung and Nokia. Am seeing a shift in Microsoft's paradigm of computing as we are going from installing regular PC applications from different websites to Apps from a centralized location. This shift in computing strategy is all thanks to Apple which has influenced the computer world. In 5 years, I bet everything will be downloaded strictly from App stores (Microsoft, Google or Apple) and cloud storage will be the main storage used to backup files and pictures instead of USBs or portable HDD.

I agree with you on the most part but I don't see portable HDD and USB going anywhere anytime soon..they are just to convenient in portability, If anything I see big HDD physically getting smaller and smaller..and there something about having your important docs backed up physically within reach...I wouldn't want to have to be connected to the net to get access to my stuff.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#47 ultraman7k

ultraman7k

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I like Macs too but what is your reason to go for an iMac? Why not just pay a lower price for a Mac mini if you aren't playing much games? In fact why not just get a Mac mini and keep your gaming rig so you can have the best of both worlds. Get a monitor with an HD and a VGA/DV port so you can plug both your PC and the small Mac Mini to the monitor. I mean this is what I would do if I were you.

But you aren't me ::D

in all honesty I am getting pretty tired of my PC. Having been a PC guy...pretty much for 20+ years I find myself looking for something new.

We have an mac Mini in the house, and that's fine, but what I want is to clear up some serious desk space. I have 4 monitors all connected to my PC in eyefinity, and yes, while multi monitoring is great, I think I want to go with the iMac all in one, plus additional display. That being said, I just don't make use of whatever raw power my computer outputs any more.

Besides, if I ever want to do up a gaming rig, I could do so for pretty cheap.

I have a feeling win 8 will be the last hurrah for the PC for me. For whatever reason I prefer Apple to suit my mobile needs (ipad,iphone).

Besides, as great as the mac mini is, I want more graphical oomph than the integrated intel 4000 that is currently offered. As a PC guy, yes to some extent i care about specs, and while a lot of my system is overkill, i think I can make compromises...just not integrated graphics, though they have come a long way...

Yeah i know the iMac has essential a mobile gpu, but whatever, it's a compromise i am willing to make to suit my needs, but man I love the screens on the iMacs...
canucks

#48 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

I agree with you on the most part but I don't see portable HDD and USB going anywhere anytime soon..they are just to convenient in portability, If anything I see big HDD physically getting smaller and smaller..and there something about having your important docs backed up physically within reach...I wouldn't want to have to be connected to the net to get access to my stuff.

This is also a bad idea for servers. There's still much more reliability and control with better physical (or "local") access to a server. I can see why some people would opt for the benefits of cloud or Windows 8, but neither are things I'm buying into.

Edited by zaibatsu, 30 October 2012 - 09:54 AM.

jDWeuKR.png

#49 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

But you aren't me ::D

in all honesty I am getting pretty tired of my PC. Having been a PC guy...pretty much for 20+ years I find myself looking for something new.

We have an mac Mini in the house, and that's fine, but what I want is to clear up some serious desk space. I have 4 monitors all connected to my PC in eyefinity, and yes, while multi monitoring is great, I think I want to go with the iMac all in one, plus additional display. That being said, I just don't make use of whatever raw power my computer outputs any more.

Besides, if I ever want to do up a gaming rig, I could do so for pretty cheap.

I have a feeling win 8 will be the last hurrah for the PC for me. For whatever reason I prefer Apple to suit my mobile needs (ipad,iphone).

Besides, as great as the mac mini is, I want more graphical oomph than the integrated intel 4000 that is currently offered. As a PC guy, yes to some extent i care about specs, and while a lot of my system is overkill, i think I can make compromises...just not integrated graphics, though they have come a long way...

Yeah i know the iMac has essential a mobile gpu, but whatever, it's a compromise i am willing to make to suit my needs, but man I love the screens on the iMacs...

Well, you could just buy the high end mac mini that doesn't come with the integrated graphics. And mac mini doesn't even take desk space so am not sure what you are talking about. Although if you want to splurge on the imac, no one is stopping you.

Edited by Pouria, 30 October 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image

#50 ultraman7k

ultraman7k

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well, you could just buy the high end mac mini that doesn't come with the integrated graphics. And mac mini doesn't even take desk space so am not sure what you are talking about. Although if you want to splurge on the imac, no one is stopping you.

unless I'm mistaken, the integrated 4000 is the only option for the mac mini.
canucks

#51 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

unless I'm mistaken, the integrated 4000 is the only option for the mac mini.

Nope, you can buy the high end 2011 model with discreet AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics. Although even the integrated intel 4000 HD provides decent graphics and it is much more improved than the 3000HD.

Edited by Pouria, 30 October 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Posted Image

#52 ultraman7k

ultraman7k

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Nope, you can buy the high end 2011 model with discreet AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics. Although even the integrated intel 4000 HD provides decent graphics and it is much more improved than the 3000HD.

Fair enough, didn't know the 2011 high end came with 6630M (ewww).
canucks

#53 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Despite my earlier post about the trend toward cloud computing I do have a tentative plan to upgrade into a 2nd or 3rd generation Windows 8 ultrabook. I am hoping that by that point there is some realization that some users still require decent sized hard drives and solid state options are available at those larger capacities (even if there is a premium to be paid).
I think Windows is in no danger of being made irrelevant - I've always come back to it as my primary OS despite dabbling with Apple products and having an Android phone. That is partially due to the OS itself and also partially due to the wide range of PC makers that utilize it.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#54 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

"Slow adoption to Windows 7"

ROFL. 670Million licenses in 3 years.

Posted Image

#55 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,572 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Whom ever wins the tablet wars, will be the winner. People are gradually migrating away from computers and going to laptops/tablet-pads/smartphones.

Computers themselves will be simply access points and servers. You'll go home, power up your server and from your HDTV your smartphone or tablet will be your trackpad/keyboard.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#56 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Whom ever wins the tablet wars, will be the winner. People are gradually migrating away from computers and going to laptops/tablet-pads/smartphones.

Computers themselves will be simply access points and servers. You'll go home, power up your server and from your HDTV your smartphone or tablet will be your trackpad/keyboard.

Maybe for the masses that do nothing but post on facebook and play angry birds. For some people actual real computers (which are still not nearly fast enough) will always be needed.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.