The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1994 vs. 2011

#17forlife

Legends Against Future Legends  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would Hamhuis, Kesler, Samuelsson, and Henrik have all been injured to the same degree?

What about reffing? Under '94 rules Rome would have been lauded for throwing a fantastic hit, rather than banished for the rest of the playoffs.

Regardless, as much as I loved the guys in '94, it's 2011, no question. The '94 team caught fire in a bottle, whereas the '11 team dominated all year...until they were decimated with injuries.

We all saw how much the 2011 team dominated with a healthy roster. When you see guys like Henrik, Samuelsson, Hamhuis, Kesler, Higgins, Edler, Ehrhoff, Bieksa and Salo get injured, you see any shot at the Cup go away, so I'd say the 2011 team would win.

I think the '94 team would have beat the 2011 Bruins. There's no way the Bruins would have had their way with the '94 Canucks like they did the 2011 Canucks. Lucic would've had his head beat in by Odjick, Bure woulda skated circles around Chara and McLean woulda stole the Conn Smyth from that neo-con Thomas. So in short, '94 Canucks would beat 2011 Canucks in 6 games.

I have given this a lot of thought. I came to the thread and then back again and back some more to think about it.

The 2011 team had more talent. Raffe Torres and Malholtra as a third line that could score was far better than the 94 canucks third line.

I would say the Sedins together are better than bure but not playoff version of Sedns. Regular season yes, playoffs no.

Kelser is better than Ronning or Momesso but I dont think he was skilled as Geoff Courtnall offensively. The 94 canucks second line clobbers the 2011 version of Kesler Raymond etc

The 94 second line probably had the best natural chemistry i have ever seen on the canucks , with the exception of the Sedins with each other.

Canucks D was better now. Im afraid Lumme and Brown cant compare , but then again Hamhuis went down in game 1.

Luongo is a better goalie than Mc Lean but again, which Luongo ? Regular season yes......PLAYOFF , especially the 94 playoffs ?

Mc Lean was better in 94 than Luongo in 2011 playoffs. Different era so different stats but the 94 canucks dont even make it a series against the Rangers without Mc Lean

So if we take the 1994 Canuck playoff team vs the 2011 playoff team canuks of 94 beat them in 5 games with goaltending being the difference.

The 94 firepower out trumps the canucks 2011 playoff firepower and there would be little Luongo could do about it.

1994 wins, hands down.

Many on the board are saying that the 2011 team were injured and we would have won the cup if it weren't for that.

If we look back on that playoffs though, you notice that we didn't really dominate any of the teams we faced along the way, were the Canucks injured for the entire run? They ripped through the regular season but couldn't finish any playoff series quickly, with the exception of San Jose which was pretty lucky.

I think the '94 team wouldn't have only beaten the '11 Canucks but also the '11 Bruins as well.

The '94 Canucks were big, tough, had good depth, good scoring, great leadership, clutch performers, great goaltending, great coaching, you name it. The '11 team may have had that in the regular season but never seem to in the playoffs.

Personally I believe the seasons of both versions of Canucks teams were an anomaly. The '94 team were much better than their record indicated and the '11 team were not as good as theirs. The '94 Canucks were very similiar to the '12 LA Kings in that regard.

The 2011 Canucks should have won the cup in 4 games. Too bad they only scored 8 goals in the entire series. Thank fricken god for Luongo, or esle we would have been swept.

I'll take 94 Canucks because Bure alone could probably outscore that team

Archived