The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

So just something I thought was interesting. Next gen consoles are being rumored to be released near Christmas 2013, which includes a new XBOX and Playstation.

PS4 release date

Latest rumours suggest that the PS4 will launch in time for Christmas 2013, though Sony are remaining quiet on the issue.

We fully expect the Xbox 720 - if it is indeed to be called that – to launch in time for Christmas 2013. And with the increasing frequency of new rumours, reports and leaks, an official reveal from Microsoft cannot be too far away.

First of all, I am not ready to shell out $800 on a new console, it hasnt even been that long, and everything is already perfect on the consoles we have.

Secondly, they are rumored to NOT have backwards compatibilty.

Backwards compatibility

When the original original PS3 unit shipped, it contained a chip that gave it the ability to play PS2 games. Subsequent iterations of hardware omitted this chip and so the backwards compatibility was condemned to death.

Current rumours suggests that the PS4 will completely ignore the possibility of backwards compatibility and focus firmly on the next generation. So if you want to continue playing your PS3 games, keep hold of your PS3s, kids

Third you will not be able to play used games, making you shell out $70 for a brand new game every time. Goodbye to stores like Gamestop? (as much as I hate them already)

Second hand games on the way out?

More rumours suggest that Sony is going in the same direction as Microsoft in that it wants to kill off the second hand games market. Current industry wisdom suggests that future PS4 games might be tied to your Sony Entertainment Network account and will thus then have no resale value. That's a similar approach as used by PC developers using Steam so we reckon this is a likely development. Doesn't mean we're happy about it, though.

Quotes from: http://www.techradar.com/

Just a few things to discuss.

They couldn't think of more creative names for the new consoles?

Who knows about the names right now, Playstations new console is code name "Orbis" But why not carry on with the name you have already built to be recognized around the world?

Christmas 2013 sounds about right. But really? You can't play used games/PS3 games on the PS4?

Yep, that really will be a bummer if thats true, you wont even be able to take your game to a friends for a weekend or anything. No resale value for games, nor selling them on craigslist -_-

I heard in a video XBOX was doing the same.

First of all, I am not ready to shell out $800 on a new console, it hasnt even been that long, and everything is already perfect on the consoles we have.

$800 is not a reasonable price to expect someone to drop, but no everything is not already perfect on the consoles you have. They've hit a limit with the capabilities of what they can do with these systems, and if they don't put new hardware out there, you'll continue to see more stagnation, and developers being forced to work around the limitations of the systems.

edit: Though if they do really remove the ability to play used and borrowed games, than the systems can go die for all I care.

$800 is not a reasonable price to expect someone to drop, but no everything is not already perfect on the consoles you have. They've hit a limit with the capabilities of what they can do with these systems, and if they don't put new hardware out there, you'll continue to see more stagnation, and developers being forced to work around the limitations of the systems.

edit: Though if they do really remove the ability to play used and borrowed games, than the systems can go die for all I care.

Well considering the PS3 and 360 originally released for $499 in Canada for the 360 and $546 for the PS3 in Canada (If my sources are correct)

Tack on $60-70 for an additonal controller

Another $70 for a game $70 more if you want two games.

Then some will want accessories such as the offical Sony Bluetooth headset, and for XBOX someone may want to buy 12 months live off the bat.

Total it all up, then add tax. You do get up there at around $800.

Who knows if they'll make the consoles cheaper this time around.

If they do end the resale of games and take the Apple model of distributing all software (in this case games) through an online store, would that not make games slightly cheaper? No packaging, no plastic cases, no shipping costs, no manufacturing costs?

@Garrison

Well Sony is looking to add 4K resolution compatibilty because we really really need that :rolleyes:

Xbox is wanting to push Kinect further in the new console.

Other than that I have no idea at the moment.

@Opmac I'm not completely sure they will be releasing games exclusively in an "app store" because I have read the new XBOX will be featuring blu-ray instead of DVD format discs like they currently have. Plus imagine how much space those next gen games are going to take when they will be 1080p resolution or 4K resolution. Download times will suck especially on release days!

Maybe they'll take a similar approach to how EA makes you have an online pass but somehow make it so the whole game is unplayable if you have already used it on one console?

Just speculating.

Well considering the PS3 and 360 originally released for $499 in Canada for the 360 and $546 for the PS3 in Canada (If my sources are correct)

Then some will want accessories such as the offical Sony Bluetooth headset, and for XBOX someone may want to buy 12 months live off the bat.

Ah, I thought that you were just quoting a base price estimate there. No they can't be much cheaper this time around, although they also can't be much more expensive.

My main problem with these rumours is that the consoles seem to be defeating the plug in and play aspect. Which sucks, because plug in play is pretty much what a console is about. Limiting a game to a single console and user, and removing physical copies of games in favour of digital downloads would make consoles utterly pointless. Just by a PC and hook it up to your TV at that point. There'd be no benefit to a console anymore.

What will they be improving on the new consoles? Have the developed new technology? Or is it a money grab?

Well yeah, they have the technology. XBox 360 will be 8 years old by the time of that estimated release. PS3 and 360 are just dated technology at this point. They can vastly improve the technology in these systems, whether or not they bother to actually do it properly is a different issue.

PS3 and 360 as pieces of base technology to work with are holding back gaming in a general sense.

If they do end the resale of games and take the Apple model of distributing all software (in this case games) through an online store, would that not make games slightly cheaper? No packaging, no plastic cases, no shipping costs, no manufacturing costs?

Lol no. Well it will be a lot cheaper for them, but there will not be any chance of them passing those savings on to the consumers. Which is why they prefer a digital download service. That, plus it gives them greater control over the product they just sold.

its been 7 years, game graphics are so limited with the present consoles, its about time.

Archived