The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

Xbox is wanting to push Kinect further in the new console.

Ugh... Kinect hasn't brought anything to the table I care about. So hyped, yet so pointless. I had a 360 for most of gen 7, but if I ever buy a gen 8 console it will be from Sony.

In the meantime, my PC will last me a very long time...and there's always SNES.

Also, as long as we're speculating, I doubt we'll be paying $800 at launch even if our self-destructive natures compel us to buy stupidly expensive accessories and more games than we can afford (for the record, I would recommend just...just not doing that if you want to save a bit of money).

That leaked document we mentioned earlier mentions a $299 (£190) price point which sounded gloriously ambitious to us. Expect it to cost a bit more than that but assuming the PS4 launches around the same time, expect some competitive pricing.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-release-date-news-and-rumours-937167

LOL, $800.

Yeah, I'll stick to my PC.

I paid twice that for my PC. Also, read: OP came up with the figure "$800" on their own. They assumed launch price to be $499, in line with the previous generation and assumed the buyer to have terrible spending habits, buying literally everything related to the console that they possibly could right on launch day. Yes, that will add up to $800. OTOH, the only figure we've seen from a legitimate source is $299 which will obviously be less than what it actually is. But they can't say, "Ah, we were thinking of charging $299, but nah, we decided to go with $799. Economic disparity, y'know?"

Xbox guy myself, and in my opinion the best thing these two companies could do is release cross platform online play. Meaning that for games which are released on both platforms have it so that both Xbox and PS players can play one another.

Could not agree more.

That alone would make me consider spending the $800 on a new console.

BUT given that will not happen... I will not consider buying the new system until 6-8 months (if not longer) into release, so that the price drops and the typical first run issues are over.

@Masamune

I personally wouldnt buy it unless the price dropped so something similar to a console today, which probably would be 2-4 years after release, so I'll likely stick to my PS3 till then. But who knows if I'll even buy it at all because I'm using it less and less as I get more busy with school and such.

$299 seems extremely low, not sure how they would be able to release a brand new upgraded console for about the same price as they sell them now, because they usually lose money/make hardly any profit on the consoles themselves. So I cant really wrap my mind around that.

Also about "terrible spending habits" I disagree.

$499 for the console on release day

$60 for an additonal controller for your kids (if you had kids, or for a sibling, friends who come over)

$60 for a game, no point in a console without the games

$60 for 12 months live (PS3 released about $50 more than e 360 so evens out)

Total $679

12% tax

New total = $760.48 (rough estimates)

So not totally far fetched and "terrible spending habits" its what you had to pay if you were wanting the console when it came out.

Hopefully the $299 price is true though.

But +1 for your posts!

Also about "terrible spending habits" I disagree.

$499 for the console on release day

$60 for an additonal controller for your kids (if you had kids, or for a sibling, friends who come over)

$60 for a game, no point in a console without the games

$60 for 12 months live (PS3 released about $50 more than e 360 so evens out)

Total $679

12% tax

New total = $760.48 (rough estimates)

So not totally far fetched and "terrible spending habits" its what you had to pay if you were wanting the console when it came out.

Fair enough. My approach to buying expensive equipment is different (I'm a gaming enthusiast, no kids, I play online with friends who also own consoles so I don't usually splitscreen when I'm visiting in person) so my needs are different. One game could last me quite a while until I decided it's time to get something new. My main concern was that people were starting to think that launch price for the console itself was $800 because it was getting thrown around in that fashion.

#1 People shouldn't be taking that $800 figure seriously. OP basically pulled that out of his ass. I've heard/read rumors that the next gen will drop for comparable or less than what the 360 came out at (heard as low as $399).

#2 How could you say that it's not time for a new generation of consoles. The lifespan of the 360 / ps3 is by far the longest of any console ever. It's pretty much only alive now because it's been artificially extended by online content etc. The hardware for the current gen consoles (especially the 360) is severely limiting what devs can do with games nowadays. It`s time to expand that. Not to mention Microsoft wants to turn the new xbox into a one stop shop for all things entertainment.

However, backwards compatability is a HUGE deal for me. I have never traded in a game in my entire life and still own every game i've ever bought. I love dusting off old favourite years down the road and re-enjoying them. And it's pretty damn obvious my 360 won't last forever so there better be backwards compatability. Huge slap in my face if there isn't.

$900 pls. "Gaming" is upwards of 1300.

900 for a bare bones, entry level, gaming pc is not really unfathomable (unless you need a new monitor), but it'll need upgrades within 6 months most likely. 1300 is a decent one that will probably last a year or 2.

$299 seems extremely low, not sure how they would be able to release a brand new upgraded console for about the same price as they sell them now, because they usually lose money/make hardly any profit on the consoles themselves. So I cant really wrap my mind around that.

None of the big 3 make a profit on the sale of the console. They all lose money. Its in the games that they make their cash. Which is why no backwards compatibility. They dont want you sitting there playing your old games on the new system. They want you buying new games. Its also why they dont want you to be able to play used games. They make nothing on a used game sale.

It'd kill the game rental market too.

Who rents games anymore? Wasnt that the video rental places that are all gone now?

They want you buying new games. Its also why they dont want you to be able to play used games. They make nothing on a used game sale.

Which is a load of crap, and it's something they need to be called out on. Yeah they don't make any money on used sales, but after that first new sale it's not their money to make anymore. You buy the game, it has to be yours to lend, trade, and sell.

Any attempt to change that should be met with heavy resistance. That would be moving from selling consumers a product, to selling them a limited licensed service. Again, it's a load of crap.

Archived