The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

It's about damn time they did something like this.

They'll still get demolished on day 1 though.

haha yeah, they kind of got bossed around by the microsoft fanboys and sony, the console that is going to come out this fall wasn't the console that they planned for or envisioned.

Ya, I was disappointed when they came out and said they're changing everything.

If people knew more about how great the DRM is to people then maybe they would have kept it.

(People that don't care about trading games)

It's about damn time they did something like this.

They'll still get demolished on day 1 though.

Ya, I was disappointed when they came out and said they're changing everything.

If people knew more about how great the DRM is to people then maybe they would have kept it.

(People that don't care about trading games)

I honestly don't care what happens to that console, but IMHO it makes them look weak when they are making all these changes.

Like you said, maybe if they just stuck with their original console, people would've grown to like it/ understand it.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-24-xbox-one-to-allow-indie-self-publishing-report

So pretty much the ps4 and the Xbox are the same thing now...

Xbox One to allow indie self-publishing

By Brendan Sinclair

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Microsoft confirms news, but avoids comment on letting devs set release dates, pricing on Xbox Live games

[uPDATE]: Engadget has a statement from Microsoft's Xbox corporate VP Marc Whitten confirming the news.

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox Live. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox Live. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at Gamescom in August."

The original story follows below.

Microsoft already reversed one unpopular Xbox One policy when it backed off the system's online requirements. Now it might be backing down off another, as Game Informer reports the company will allow independent developers to self-publish their games on Xbox Live.

The outlet's sources say that developers will be able to make the call on their games' release dates and pricing. Additionally, Microsoft is looking to make its certification process more like iTunes, with a targeted 14-day window from submission to approval. That will mean the company's examination of game code will be more cursory, covering primarily terms of service breaches and major bugs.

Finally, Game Informer reports that the standard Xbox One retail unit will be convertible to a debug console that can play pre-release code. Instead of having two different hardware setups, Microsoft will just authorize specific consoles to play unfinished code. The same process is expected to work for large-scale beta testing of games as well.

Also on GamesIndustry International

Kinect will be Xbox One's game-changer, says Harrison.

the difference is sony changed nothing about their system other than adding a pay per month for online play all this policy changing just shows Microsoft as a weak company they could have put out a unique box now the only thing unique about it is the kinect feature which isn't something every gamer is wanting

at the end of the day games are played with controllers if i wanted to flail my arms and talk to a box i would go outside and play sports

the difference is sony changed nothing about their system other than adding a pay per month for online play all this policy changing just shows Microsoft as a weak company they could have put out a unique box now the only thing unique about it is the kinect feature which isn't something every gamer is wanting

at the end of the day games are played with controllers if i wanted to flail my arms and talk to a box i would go outside and play sports

I was talking about the consoles that are in front of us now. Not what Microsoft changed.

It sucks that they're pretty much identical now. No real unique qualities.

There's even rumours that within the first year there will be a Kinnect free bundle.

I am disappointed :(

I was talking about the consoles that are in front of us now. Not what Microsoft changed.

It sucks that they're pretty much identical now. No real unique qualities.

There's even rumours that within the first year there will be a Kinnect free bundle.

I am disappointed :(

Wow a free kinect! I'm getting the XboxOne now

The rumors say the better prices and nokinect bundles are for the summer, which by then the PS4 might price cut to keep ahead anyway.

Right now, the only thing going for the xbox one is the fact that they might have 2-3x more units in stock launch day available. That could help. But sales charts, analytics, surveys, they all say Sony will likely sell about 50% more units, which falls in line with sales around amazon and gamestop that's been seen so far with an at times 2:1 edge for the PS4.

PS4 will either need to have a crapty launch, be it by stock, or glitchy console for the xbox one to really keep up even in the big picture. The xbox one will basically have to sell an extraordinary amount in the States, because they have pretty much isolated out the rest of the world with the TV restrictions and lack of support in a lot of areas. The thing is, a lot of the crowd in NA right now is pro-PS4. If sony keeps up in NA, it's over basically. It's highly unlikely xbox one will win the world battle.

LOL, now Microsoft is allowing self publishing indie games on the xboxone, just like PS4...

Is there anything different between the two anymore? Microsoft has pretty much cloned the ps4 now.

Ya the only thing really separating them now is the extra features on the one, and their individual exclusives.

Perhaps it could be seen as weakness, but if you're an intelligent consumer you'll know that all of these changes are of direct benefit to you. Changing from a stance of "We're Microsoft, we can do whatever the hell we want and you'll buy our crap", to "Wait don't leave, here's a bunch of things you want", is not a bad thing. Not a bad thing in the slightest.

There was very good reason for the outrage and disappointment towards Microsoft earlier, but this negative attitude after the fact they continue to backtrack has just gotten silly. I myself still won't be getting an Xbox One any time soon, but I have to respect a company that repeals it's horrible policies.

I mean they've reduced the price point, and have offered the possibility of a non-kinect bundle, and this is great for someone such as myself and many others who simply have no interest in the peripheral.

All Microsoft has done is stopped forcing these things on people, as they haven't stopped the existence of these things. Go out and buy digitally if you want DRM for some reason. Go out and get the kinect bundle and the hundreds of games that will be come out for it. Get the major publlished titles on Xbox Live Arcade rather than the Indie ones they'll be offering. Why are options somehow a bad thing?

This thread seems to have been postured into something of a thread for Sony fanboys to bash on Microsoft regardless of what they choose to do, and Microsoft fanboys to wallow in pity after they convinced themselves that the forced DRM association was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

These changes are good, and the best thing is that they aren't forced on those who don't want them. Enjoy them. This thread has just devolved into something silly, as console war threads do. Even if there's only one target, lol.

EDIT: Looks like the $350 Xbox One is complete BS.

Spoiler contains a youtube link with valid information, but contains profound language so view at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvPgKEEGIY

Microsoft has said they are NOT working on a cheaper Xbox One without the Kinect.

Hopefully, they do release a cheaper Xbox One at somepoint, and I was really looking forward to buying it next summer.

Either way, I have a little more then 50% of the cost of the PS4 already paid off. When my PS3 broke, I traded everything into EB Games for an extra 50% credit for pre-ordering the new console. $215 / $400 already down for me.

I do intend on getting both consoles, but when I'll get the Xbox One, idk. I am getting the PS4 at launch.

Pretty cool how you are able to stream PS1/2/3 games on the PS4, even though my PS2 can play those PS1/PS2 games. I do miss a few of my PS3 games that I couldn't play when my console broke, so I'll likely purchase those ones to stream (Motor Storm, Last of Us, Ratchet/Clank, Resistance).

Hey does anyone know if there is pre order bonuses for the ps4? If so where can i find the details?

I dont think it will be a problem getting the console, walmart will probably have it but if theres a bonus for preordering then i might as well

The only bonus I know of is the console will be there in stock. I can assure you that Wal-Mart will be sold out, just like every other store. Remember the 360/PS3 launches? Hard to get for a few months.

Check Gamestops' website. They are already sold out on pre-orders.

Does anyone have a non-biased link to a hardware comparison to these two consoles? I want to know which one is more powerful. I've read PS4 has a GDDR5 compared to XBO's DDR3, and I've also read that XBO has a more powerful OS. I've also read that PS4 will likely have better graphics. Can anyone confirm/deny any of this?

NON-Biased please!

^ really? Damn

I actually remember walking into walmart the day of ps3 launch and picking it up lol but ill probably try getting a pre order

I have just spoken to 2 EBgames in my city. Very weird as the responses I got were totally different.

1) The first one said that any pre-orders past July 12th were not guaranteed day 1 access to the PS4.

2) The other store said that they would have enough to cover everyone, even some extras for non-preordering customers.

You will likely find one somewhere, if the information given to me is true.

Does anyone have a non-biased link to a hardware comparison to these two consoles? I want to know which one is more powerful. I've read PS4 has a GDDR5 compared to XBO's DDR3, and I've also read that XBO has a more powerful OS. I've also read that PS4 will likely have better graphics. Can anyone confirm/deny any of this?

NON-Biased please!

As an Xbox 360 fan, it's hard for me to say this but it looks like Sony is making the more powerful console. I don't have any links but it seems Sony focused on making a strict Gaming Console while the Xbox One is trying to be a bunch of devices stuffed into "One" I think I'll buy the PS4 when the time comes because I'm more interested in games than Netflix, etc and the Kinect seems just flat out creepy...

As an Xbox 360 fan, it's hard for me to say this but it looks like Sony is making the more powerful console. I don't have any links but it seems Sony focused on making a strict Gaming Console while the Xbox One is trying to be a bunch of devices stuffed into "One" I think I'll buy the PS4 when the time comes because I'm more interested in games than Netflix, etc and the Kinect seems just flat out creepy...

Yeah I agree with all of this. I owned, but didn't really like PS3 (Just wasn't for me), but I absolutely loved PS2 (I still own one and play it regularly). It looks like Sony is sticking with the gaming aspect more then the social aspect which is a big plus to me. I also love 360, and I won't be buying a XBO as long as Kinect is required, or the price drops significantly in the next few years.

Also, PS4 (Sony in general), IMO has the better exclusives. They even have Elder Scrolls Online and exclusive Destiny DLC that is only on PS4

Archived